How to test a camera, P4P with Mavic 2 Zoom

Reaction score
How to test the quality of a camera.
I have seen lots of tests but was unhappy with the kind of tests that are done. They usually just fly high over and area.
I think a better test is to show depth from a low position with foreground and distant areas that can really test a cameras range.
I have a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom(M2Z). I kept the P4P for quality and got the M2Z for close up work because I thought the combination ideal for “my” needs, flora and fauna, nature. The M2Z was not really an expense since I intend (hope) to pay for it with a combos Mavic Pro and Mavic Air, both including extras such as batteries.
But I wanted to compare the cameras of the P4P and the M2Z.
I have included a link. At first sight I thought they were pretty similar. But the more you look at it the more you see the difference. I decided on 5 levels of distance, not including the sky or river and examined each.

My conclusions were many but included how good both cameras are and, of course how good the P4P is. It is obvious which one is which.

Just thought I would share.

Enjoy the food for thought.

Reactions: slugger
The one on the right is the P4P. But I think the M2 Zoom is still a great clip and much improved on the Mavic Pro.
What I would like to see is a comparison between a P4P and Mavic 2 Pro camera from a similar point of view, that is low and looking at multiple layers of distance.
But isn't the P4P camera excellent?
Those furthest mountains are so far away, not sue but 20 kilometers or so. And it was a terribly hazy day yet we can still make out trees. What the h*** are they going to put on the P5?

Reactions: LARA images
Here is an excellent video comparing the P4P and the Mavic 2 Pro cameras. Even though they have the same sensor the results are not the same because basically DJI had to cripple the M2P probably because of the excess heat it was generating in a much smaller package.

Thanks flyboy73 I agree an excellent analysis.
Its a must watch if you really want the best image out there, for a single handed, camera.
The guy can say bye to his hundred odd subs.

Here is an excellent video comparing the P4P and the Mavic 2 Pro cameras. Even though they have the same sensor the results are not the same because basically DJI had to cripple the M2P probably because of the excess heat it was generating in a much smaller package.
Before people get too exited we need to see more examples/comparisons of the actual M2 pro performance.

First obvious point is that some method of down scaling must be performed to get 4K or any lower resolution form the sensor to realise the full horizontal field of view offered by the sensor kens combination (native would be 5.2k).

Secondly the subject sensor being CMOS can’t oerform pixel binning. It can perform pixel summing which (as is depicted in the manufacturer specifications) it does for all but one video readout mode. The below table makes this clear, horizontal and/or vertical line addition is performed by the sensor.

The same obviously must apply in the P4P implementation also.

The heat assumption probably has no relavence.

We need to be evaluating these imaging systems based on what might be achieved in processing the video- not straight from the SD card for a true comparison. 10 bit is a different animal. I remember when I got my first pro SLR body (canon 1Ds) ininitialy was disappointed with the raw files appearing soft . They were by comparison but after processing they were significantly better than what I had been used to.

52F1D6AD-57D0-4CF8-8B24-BDF2C6BC935A.jpeg

Most of this science is new to me but I understand the basics of it and I find it fascinating. I need to do a lot more research to comprehend it all. But what really concerns me is clarity of image, still or moving. I have never liked the image the M2P produces, I don’t like its yellow/orangey tint. That is not “scientific” but I like the clean, clarity of the P4P without any post production which I only do If I have to. Even though many have stated that the M2P produces a more “realistic” representation of what the eye can see.

I was very happy with the Mavic Pro until I saw some footage of my own city with a P4P and was blown away. I wanted that camera.
We must never forget what Cliff mentioned, it is what “you” want, not what the numbers/science tells you. There is no right or wrong.
I love what the P4P can produce without any post. I would rather spend my time flying and producing appealing video clips/stills and doing it without spending hours in post.

Some clips in low light seem to produce very similar quality between the P4P and M2P which is interesting. For the moment I feel I have the best of both worlds with the P4Pv2 and the M2Zoom. I can’t wait to get home to start to merge clips using an excellent camera with a one with a good zoom.

I just can’t do that in Thailand, everyone and his dog is becoming aware of the new restrictions and continually question you, whether you have a difficult to get a Government flight permit or not.
Flying is getting tighter everywhere. In the past few months in my own city, for the first-time, park and recreational ground staff are being instructed “to ask people not to fly”. I know it’s at a different pace in every place in the world.

So, enjoy the camera/aircraft of your choice, whilst you can.

Being dirty is what the pursuit of private profit is about my friend. That is the the raison d'être of DJI like all other companies although I am sure many of the owners and workers have a passion for creating quality drones.
So yes I am still dirty with them. But I will keep my P4P then sell it and get the 5.
But you never doubted your acquisition or DJI?
""The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of Humanity."

Being dirty is what the pursuit of private profit is about my friend. That is the the raison d'être of DJI like all other companies although I am sure many of the owners and workers have a passion for creating quality drones.
So yes I am still dirty with them. But I will keep my P4P then sell it and get the 5.
But you never doubted your acquisition or DJI?
""The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of Humanity."
Im genuinely happy that you seem to be less aggrieved- that is that the M2P might not actually be a significant improvement over what you have in your P4P.

The one on the right is the P4P. But I think the M2 Zoom is still a great clip and much improved on the Mavic Pro.
What I would like to see is a comparison between a P4P and Mavic 2 Pro camera from a similar point of view, that is low and looking at multiple layers of distance.
But isn't the P4P camera excellent?
Those furthest mountains are so far away, not sue but 20 kilometers or so. And it was a terribly hazy day yet we can still make out trees. What the h*** are they going to put on the P5?

I'm impressed daily with the quality of my P4P lens, and don't even get me started about the flying part!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav