How to sync audio with P3P video

Reaction score
Ok, I am wanting to use my P3P to video handgun competition matches that I participate in. What is the best way to capture the audio to go along with my video. Recording the audio from the iPad would be fine I just wasn't sure if there was a specific app that was good for this. What do you guys recommend? I uploaded one of my videos so that you can see what I will be working with, I am wanting to video from 10-15ft. up to catch the stage from a different angle.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thanks!

If you are using the ipad for your fpv I'd suggest a second device to record the audio, maybe your phone. Try press record on the audio and record on your video at near enough the same time so it will be easier to match the 2 up. Maybe name each audio file after each recording with a file name you will associate with each video, maybe the shooters number again so it will be easier to marry the 2 together

Easy way to do it is to turn on the recorder (iPad using whatever app you want), turn on the phantom, start recording audio and video. Then put yourself in the video (stand in front of the phantom?) and do a single loud clap with your hands. Keep everything rolling, both video and audio, and fly the phantom. You should end up with one continuous video clip and one continuous audio track that you can sync together in post.

In the editor, you can look for the clap in the audio track using the waveform (you'll see a sudden peak in the waveform) or just by listening to it, and slide the audio track alongside the video clip, so that the peak in the audio is aligned with the moment on the video clip where your hands come together.

It's like using a clapper board, but just with your hands. Each time you need to stop and start recording video, you would need to do the clap in front of the camera and within audible range of the sound recorder again.

Reactions: JoseyWales
That's a good idea PishPosh, is there a fairly easy to use video editor out there for a Mac? I have done a few videos on a PC using music tracks but haven't experimented with it very much. I can figure it out just need to be pointed in the right direction.

That's a good idea PishPosh, is there a fairly easy to use video editor out there for a Mac? I have done a few videos on a PC using music tracks but haven't experimented with it very much. I can figure it out just need to be pointed in the right direction.

It's hard to go wrong with iMovie. It can handle the audio sync you mention and is really easy and pretty powerful.

Chris

Yes, iMovie is easy to use and does everything you need for basic editing, and a little more. I think it's free and comes preinstalled on macs too?

Hah, sure is, I've never looked for it before but its in the Launchpad. Will just the standard recorder on the iPhone work fine or should I download a specific app?

Hah, sure is, I've never looked for it before but its in the Launchpad. Will just the standard recorder on the iPhone work fine or should I download a specific app?

Standard recorder on the phone is pretty good. I've used it before for interviews and the sound quality is not bad. I've never used it for ambient sounds nor for gunshots at a range, so you'll have to experiment to see if it works for you. Other apps may add some other features and what not, but in terms of sound quality I don't think they will produce audio that is much different from the original app.

In other words, you should be good to go.

Reactions: JoseyWales
I want to do the same for local IDPA and IPSC matches, I tried the audio app on the Ipad with internal microphone and external bluetooth microphone but when DJI Pilot app starts it takes over the video/mic inputs and it stops the recorder app. So I went with a second device to record from the Bluetooth Microphone. Now to learn to mix.

You can also buy a Mobius 1080p Action Cam ($80) and use the video and audio from that device. Gives you multiple camera angles in conjunction with the P3. Probably an hour of battery time on the Mobius. I Velcro the Mobius to other quads and fixed wing aircraft for great vids as well. Don't forget music that you can download from free sites on the web. I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 with WIN 8.1. Great Mac stuff out there as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.