How to store and take care of batteries

Reaction score
I know to wait a while after using a battery before charging it.

but because of the great flight times, if I only get the battery down to say 40-60% is it ok to charge or should I bring it to a lower power level?

I usually charge them full and put them away for a few days.

I guess its not good to keep a full charge on them for a long time and thats why you set how many days until it discharges, I have it set to 10, but does that mean on the 10th day it will be dead, or does it love 10% battery every day until the 10th day?

Thanks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Intelligent Flight Battery Maintenance.
1: Before and after flight its good to check the battery for any damage or swelling. if you notice damage its best to not use it anymore, discharge it to 10% and dispose of it. Do nor pierce or disassemble the battery a sit could catch fire.
2: make sure the four contact pins on the battery as well as the main power connectors. You can use DeoxIT to keep them i good condition to maintain good contact ( note DeoxIT goes a long way, only use a tiny bit ). Also check/clean the contact pins/connector in the Phantom 3’s battery bay.
3: Use the DI Pilot App to check the cell voltage of the battery and ensure they are similar. Variations in the cell voltage of a battery can signify cell damage and the battery should not be used. 0.2v above or below could mean a problem.
4: make sure if you have spare batteries that you update the firmware on them also. Just do as you would updating the Phantom’s firmware.Aircraft Maintenance.
1: Go over the Phantom’s screws and verify they are all still tight. You will need a T6 and T8 Torx screwdrivers for this task.
2: Check over the Phantom’s body and check to cracks, blown out seams.
3: Spin the motors to make sure they move freely, listen out for any abnormal noise. Also run the motors with the propellers off and listed for a sound difference.
4: Check the landing gear and make sure there is no damage to the antennas or compass. Also check the little pads on the bottom and replace if broken/damaged.
5: Check the rubber dampers for damage and that they are seated correctly. Verify that the anti-drop pins are fitted.
6: Check gimbal movement is OK. Listen for any unusual noise.
7: Check the VPS ( Vision Positioning System ) is clean as dirt could reduce its performance.
8: Check the props for cracks and chips as well as wear to the hub.

Sent from my MI 5 using PhantomPilots mobile app

if I only get the battery down to say 40-60% is it ok to charge or should I bring it to a lower power level?
DJI recommends storing batteries with a 30%-65% charge. So, you'd be okay to store them at that level.

I usually charge them full and put them away for a few days.
There is no need to charge your batteries before storing them if they are between 30%-65% charged. Quickly press and release the button on the battery to check the current charge level. If only the first light is illuminated or blinking, you should charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking. At that point, it'll be at a perfect place to put in storage for a while.

I have it set to 10, but does that mean on the 10th day it will be dead, or does it love 10% battery every day until the 10th day?
It means the auto discharge process will start on the 10th day. It'll take 2-3 additional days to discharge the battery from 100% down to 65%. If you press the battery button at anytime prior to the 10th day, the 10-day counter will be reset. If you press the battery button while the battery is discharging, the discharge process will stop and the 10-day counter will be reset again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic