HOW TO: Request FAA authorization in Airmap

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Using Airmap to Request FAA Authorization

Before flying in controlled airspace (Classes B, C, D, and E Surface) in the US, you must get authorization from the FAA. Airmap is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier and has a feature built into their iOS/Android app that allows FAA authorization to be requested through LAANC. In most cases, requests can be submitted and approved within a few minutes.

Steps to Request FAA Authorization with Airmap

Follow these steps to request FAA authorization for a flight you’d like to take right now or at some point in the near future:

1) Install the Airmap app from the app store on your iOS or Android mobile device.

full

2) Tap the avatar icon at the top, left corner and log into your Airmap account.

full

3) At the bottom, left corner, choose the type of flight you’re going to take (Recreational or Part 107).

full

4) Drag the map to the location where you’d like to fly – and then tap and hold the map in the location where you’d like to take off. That should create an orange circle on the map. This orange circle represents the area where you’re going to stay within during your flight.

Tap and drag the “Radius” slider to increase/decrease the flying area.

full

If you’re flying area is not a perfect circle, you can use the other tools in the toolbar on the right to map out the flying area by drawing the flight path or draw a non circular area on the map.

full

After setting your flight area, tap “Next” at the top, right.

5) Enter your flight plan details and tap the “Next” button.

full

6) Tap the “Submit Flight” button at the bottom to submit your flight plan for authorization.

full

7) You’ll receive a text message when your flight has been authorized. This normally takes no longer than a minute after your flight plan has been submitted.

full

Last edited:
Reactions: jazzyjaa and DroneB
Good guidance - thanks for taking the time. Any idea as to how you request authorization through LAANC if you are flying with DJI GO 4? Or with Litchi?

Any idea as to how you request authorization through LAANC if you are flying with DJI GO 4? Or with Litchi?
You request authorization through an app like Airmap (or Kittyhawk). And then you open DJI GO or Litchi when you're ready to fly after your flight has been approved.

DJI GO will likely eventually be able to process LAANC requests. See more details here:

remind me: How do i get clearance if i am not lucky enough to have my airport in LAANC?
You need to log into your FAA account at the top, right here and submit an airspace authorization. If you're flying recreationally, then you need to wait until LAANC is available.

You'll need to fly under Part 107 if you cannot use LAANC.

I'm curious about what happens "behind the curtain" when you make such requests. Any humans involved? Anyone know?

I'm curious about what happens "behind the curtain" when you make such requests
According to the UAS Data Exchange page:

"LAANC automates the application and approval process for airspace authorizations. Through automated applications developed by an FAA Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS) pilots apply for an airspace authorization.

Requests are checked against multiple airspace data sources in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as UAS Facility Maps, Special Use Airspace data, Airports and Airspace Classes, as well as Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) and Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs). If approved, pilots can receive their authorization in near-real time."

According to the UAS Data Exchange page:

"LAANC automates the application and approval process for airspace authorizations. Through automated applications developed by an FAA Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS) pilots apply for an airspace authorization.

Requests are checked against multiple airspace data sources in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as UAS Facility Maps, Special Use Airspace data, Airports and Airspace Classes, as well as Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) and Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs). If approved, pilots can receive their authorization in near-real time."

Thank you!

Just curious, but how are the air traffic controllers notified of drone activity within their airspace?

Reactions: skeptic49
Anyone submitted an AIRMAP request to fly higher than what LAANC has listed as the approved altitude? If you have, how long did it take to get your approval or denial? I just submitted for a 300’ flight in a 100’ zone. It says it may take up to 30 days. If you’ve done this, how long did it take to hear back?
-Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic