How to display speed, altitude, etc on video?

I don’t have P4P so missed the point that only older versions had two separate files.
Any experience in including the .SRT files while editing in PemierePro CC?
I haven't been able to figure out how to make them optional subtitles in the exported video timeline. They appear as a tiny file in front when dropped in with the video, which doesn't work. When I edit and trim, I'd like them kept with the appropriate location in the video timeline, and displayable as a subtitle.

I don't know about Premiere but prompted by this thread I finally bit the bullet and managed to learn some quick and dirty basics how to do this in Final Cut Pro 10.3.4 with X-Title Importer 1.8.73 (donationware).

Basically I needed a .xml template either from X-Title Importer presets or by doing a title in Final Cut Pro and exporting it as .xml (X-Title Importer needs a Final Cut Pro 10 template like "10.0 TextUp Regular 1080p 25.0.fcpxml" for frame rate etc).

Then feed the Phantom 3 Pro generated .srt file to X-Title Importer and it exports .fcpxml file that is then imported to Final Cut Pro. Then put the .mp4 video to that project's timeline and .srt data is shown as a subtitle changing every second (I blanked GPS data with a text editor in the sample below):

Final Cut Pro and X-Title Importer.png

I glanced other apps and web exporters before stumbling to X-Title Importer which did the trick. Are there other moderately priced similar good apps or workflows?

p.s. I often check the mission's barometer, ISO, shutter speed and maybe GPS data with VLC (or maybe with just a text editor) and also make a note about the used ND filter. I also make a screenshot from the Litchi mission in addition to having it also stored in Litchi mission hub. This way I have more data when planning and fine-tuning future Litchi missions and don't have to rebuild the wheel.

I used Dashware to put aircraft instruments on a local flight. It took a couple of steps back and forth between the Litchi data, Windows Movie Maker and Dashware. Play with this a little. The results are fun to look at.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I used Dashware to put aircraft instruments on a local flight. It took a couple of steps back and forth between the Litchi data, Windows Movie Maker and Dashware. Play with this a little. The results are fun to look at.

Will Dashware work with P4P footage that doesn’t produce separate .srt files? Perhaps using Litchi would work as in your example (which is cool btw).

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media

Using Litchi was key for me -- and importing the data into Dashware was relatively simple once you understand what instructions to follow.. P4 should operate on exactly the same principles. Glad you liked the example I posted.

Will Dashware work with P4P footage that doesn’t produce separate .srt files? Perhaps using Litchi would work as in your example (which is cool btw).

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media
If you need separate .SRT files, they can be extracted from the P4P video, assuming you had recording of captions turned on during recording. Use ffmpeg from the DOS command line on a PC on each video file where xx are the last two numbers of the file name:
ffmpeg -i DJI_00xx.mov -vn -an -codec:s:X.Y srt DJI_00xx.srt

*full credit to @bladestrike for coming up with this clever workaround! :cool:

Awesome. Thank you for that..
It took 3 months after the P4P was released to find out that the lack of .SRT sidecar files was not a bug, but was intentional, because they were embedded. Fortunately, that allowed me to go back and extract them from all my prior P4P videos, as I had captions turned on the whole time. Extracting them is now part of my post flight workflow! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT