how to descend?

Interesting. I always land with the rear facing me. That way, if I have to make any sudden decisions or inputs, or if it suddenly turns gusty and I elect to hand catch, I know instinctively that front is front, left is left and right is right.

I do the same - also I am way too ugly to appear on film!!!

I don't understand why any one ever does that unless the ground is wet, all you have to do is hold the throttle down, and eventually it stops.

At first I thought you had to do the kill command so my bird did flip, so I'm wondering if people don't realize you just hold the throttle down and this will kill the motors too?
I do the same - also I am way too ugly to appear on film!!!
There is that too.......

19591.jpg

I nearly always descend with some forward movement. I also try to land facing me whenever I'm comfortable with it, just to stay sharp with orientation-independent piloting. Old habits, I guess...just more comfortable knowing I wouldn't be completely screwed without flight controller assistance.

Interesting. I always land with the rear facing me. That way, if I have to make any sudden decisions or inputs, or if it suddenly turns gusty and I elect to hand catch, I know instinctively that front is front, left is left and right is right.

This is how I always land, too.

I never hand catch though, I don't understand why any one ever does

There is a very good example over in General why hand catching is an important skill to practice and be confident with. Look towards the end of the video in this post:

Search & Retrieve

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
There is a very good example over in General why hand catching is an important skill to practice and be confident with. Look towards the end of the video in this post:

Search & Retrieve

Personally I think hand catching is pointless the drone always lands in a soft manner, I've had a few times where it has come down and shot up due to the wind it creates yet almost all the time it lands very softly

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PEEFA
I nabbed these pics from another forum post about hand catching.

As I said in my earlier post, it is a skill that needs to be practiced so that one can do it confidently (and competently), when the situation requires it.

Edited to add: I notice in one of those pics the drone is an hexa-copter. I must confess that I would not recommend hand catching one of those.:eek:

Last edited:
I nabbed these pics from another forum post about hand catching.
Yes ... all the usual injury photos that show up from time to time.
But were any the result of Phantom hand catching gone wrong?
If you hand catch properly, you never have any part of your body anywhere near the spinning props.
It's a bit like using a chainsaw ... hold the right part and you are quite safe.

Reactions: Wibble and Erroll
From what I watched I think I'd have landed on that nice luxuriously big car roof. Only missing runway lights and a welcome mat...

And then have the compass go haywire, causing the quad to crash into the nice car, , and then blame DJI and put in a warranty claim, and then come on to the forum bitching about how you should have held back on the last firmware upgrade, and sue Ford for having nice cars with big roofs.......

Got it.

Carbon fiber props may be better hand choppers?

I always land facing away from me so that if there is an issue there won't be video of me panicking and crying.

I always land facing away from me so that if there is an issue there won't be video of me panicking and crying.

Too funny.
I use to fly my helicopter with a little camera either on it or the brim of my cap. I several videos with audio of me cursing at myself for crashing.

And then have the compass go haywire, causing the quad to crash into the nice car, , and then blame DJI and put in a warranty claim, and then come on to the forum bitching about how you should have held back on the last firmware upgrade, and sue Ford for having nice cars with big roofs.......

Got it.

aw c'mon...I only ever land in atti mode. Also don't really see what about a car would make a compass "go haywire" unless you just got back from the wrecking yard with one of those magnetic cranes, and so far the only thing I've bitched about here is how rough my bike idles :)

And anyway I only meant to point out that there were options. An old piece of cardboard (or gym mat, as I use) in the trunk does a decent job of taming tall grass and is probably the better one, in all fairness

Glad as I am to know sarcasm is alive and well, I guess I have to walk on eggshells around here. I thought the welcome mat bit was funny

aw c'mon...I only ever land in atti mode. Also don't really see what about a car would make a compass "go haywire" unless you just got back from the wrecking yard with one of those magnetic cranes, and so far the only thing I've bitched about here is how rough my bike idles :)

And anyway I only meant to point out that there were options. An old piece of cardboard (or gym mat, as I use) in the trunk does a decent job of taming tall grass and is probably the better one, in all fairness

Glad as I am to know sarcasm is alive and well, I guess I have to walk on eggshells around here. I thought the welcome mat bit was funny

I did find your post funny, and if you knew my posting history regarding warranty claims and delaying firmware updates, you might have detected some sarcasm of my own. So sweep out the eggshells!

But seriously.... I have never tried to land on a car's roof, but I have tried to launch from a car's bonnet/hood (depending on which side of the pond the readers are). The compass does go haywire!

Personally I think hand catching is pointless the drone always lands in a soft manner, I've had a few times where it has come down and shot up due to the wind it creates yet almost all the time it lands very softly

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
You may not always have to do it but it is an essential skill just in case you find yourself somewhere that you do not want the phantom near the ground. Like when it is dirty or sandy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr