how to bin question

D

DrewFlies

I used my P3P a week ago. Downloaded bin placed on memory card. Stuck it in the quad waited for all the bell chimes and whistles. Flew it about 8 times (10 minutes each flight) no problem. Now I come back a week later and see there is a new update and people have had errors with updating.

A lot of thread about dont bin the bin. Bin the root? What does that mean. Any steps or advice is appreicated. I also have a new battery on the way and I noticed a messege stating that the firmware matches the battery or something like that? Please help

Do it as you've always done. Normal firmware update and it works smoothly. No problems what so ever here. No need to update RC though.

Root directory or root folder is the very top folder in the hierarchy. Everything under that is a sub folder of the root folder.

Root
|
> MyVideos
|
> MyPhotos

etc.

The Phantom and tx only looks at the top most folder in order to find the .bin file. DJI compressed ("zips) several files into one .zip file. The only one of these files that need to be placed in the root folder is the one that ends with the extension, .bin.

Another file included are the directions. This file explains how to install the new firmware.

Reactions: bbfpv
Root directory or root folder is the very top folder in the hierarchy. Everything under that is a sub folder of the root folder.

Root
|
> MyVideos
|
> MyPhotos

etc.

The Phantom and tx only looks at the top most folder in order to find the .bin file. DJI compressed ("zips) several files into one .zip file. The only one of these files that need to be placed in the root folder is the one that ends with the extension, .bin.

Another file included are the directions. This file explains how to install the new firmware.

Do I have to do an update with the new battery coming in?
Also everytime I transfer files off my memory card and onto my imac. I then go to disk utility and completely erase the memory card. Not sure if this will have effect on the .bin. I only do this because if I were to drag files off memory card into trash, it erases but still will be on the memory card. For instance, 32 gb memory card witb 8gb video files. If I drag the 8gb files and drop it into trash. It deletes them and I can no longer see them on memory card. But, my memory card will show only 24gb available. Very strange and I have been dealing with this for years. My only method is to go to disk utility and completely erase memory card which whips it clean. Also, after updating my bird and r/c I completely whipped the memory card so there was nothing on the card. I flown it a good 10 times like this and no problem. Is that a problem? I use several memory cards not sure if I should bin each one and when I binned there was no root folder as you mentioned because I completely erased memory card through disk utility.

Do I have to do an update with the new battery coming in?
Also everytime I transfer files off my memory card and onto my imac. I then go to disk utility and completely erase the memory card. Not sure if this will have effect on the .bin. I only do this because if I were to drag files off memory card into trash, it erases but still will be on the memory card. For instance, 32 gb memory card witb 8gb video files. If I drag the 8gb files and drop it into trash. It deletes them and I can no longer see them on memory card. But, my memory card will show only 24gb available. Very strange and I have been dealing with this for years. My only method is to go to disk utility and completely erase memory card which whips it clean. Also, after updating my bird and r/c I completely whipped the memory card so there was nothing on the card. I flown it a good 10 times like this and no problem. Is that a problem? I use several memory cards not sure if I should bin each one and when I binned there was no root folder as you mentioned because I completely erased memory card through disk utility.
Batteries will be updated if there is a new firmware file on the sd card, so yeah just leave the .bin file there if you have new batteries coming in.
Regarding formatting the disk every time. When you move something to the trash, you have to empty the trash for the file to be permanently removed from the card. Some also format every time, others don't. Argument being that it creates more strain on the card and it's not entirely necessary to do it so frequently.

Batteries will be updated if there is a new firmware file on the sd card, so yeah just leave the .bin file there if you have new batteries coming in.
Regarding formatting the disk every time. When you move something to the trash, you have to empty the trash for the file to be permanently removed from the card. Some also format every time, others don't. Argument being that it creates more strain on the card and it's not entirely necessary to do it so frequently.

Thankyou. So since I whipped the memory card and nothing is on it. Not even a root folder as mentioned. Whats my steps into updating firmware to 1.1.9?
How can I create a root folder if there is nothing on memory card.
I also use the same memory cards for my gopro so right now on my memory cards it shows

DCIM > 100GoPro

Get_Started_with_GoPro.url

MISC > Card and version.txt

Do I need to bin each memory card?

Thankyou. So since I whipped the memory card and nothing is on it. Not even a root folder as mentioned. Whats my steps into updating firmware to 1.1.9?
How can I create a root folder if there is nothing on memory card.
I also use the same memory cards for my gopro so right now on my memory cards it shows

DCIM > 100GoPro

Get_Started_with_GoPro.url

MISC > Card and version.txt

The .bin file goes in the place where all other folders originate from.
This may help, courtesy of Wikipedia:

To use the example of a physical file cabinet, if the separate drawers in the file cabinet are represented as the highest level of sub-directories in the file system or system prompt, then the room the file cabinet is in may be represented as the root directory. That is, the other directories may be inside it, but the root directory cannot go in any other directories, at least in that file system. In most operating systems, files can be placed inside the root directory, as well as in its sub-directories. One may envision this as placing paper files anywhere in the room, or into any file cabinet within the room.

KU1Qxvx.png

How can I create a root folder
You seem confused about this.
Do not create a folder for root.
If you put in in any folder your Phantom will not read it.
If you just put the .bin file on the card outside all folders .. it is in the root directory.

No .. you only need to place the .bin file on the card you use to update your Phantom and after updating, you can safely delete it.

The update instructions recommend leaving the bin file on the card so your smart batteries can get updated. With just one battery you need to leave it on the card for at least one power cycle. Apparently the battery doesn't update at the same time as the firmware.

Once we get more batteries you'll need to think about how all of them get their updates.

There's no harm in leaving the update file on the card. You can safely remove the .txt file that says the update is successful. Definitely should delete all those files before the next update in what - 2 weeks?

Last edited:
You seem confused about this.
Do not create a folder for root.
If you put in in any folder your Phantom will not read it.
If you just put the .bin file on the card outside all folders .. it is in the root directory.

No .. you only need to place the .bin file on the card you use to update your Phantom and after updating, you can safely delete it.
The update instructions recommend leaving the bin file on the card so your smart batteries can get updated. With just one battery you need to leave it on the card for at least one power cycle. Apparently the battery doesn't update at the same time as the firmware.

Once we get more batteries you'll need to think about how all of them get their updates.

There's no harm in leaving the update file on the card. You can safely remove the .txt file that says the update is successful. Definitely should delete all those files before the next update in what - 2 weeks?

See this is why I ask. I seem to always get opposite answers here on the forum. Looking for some logic as to why to keep or why to remove. This seems to be a more detailed response. so basically the root is carrying my DCIM and MISC?

Root
|
> MyVideos
|
> MyPhotos

etc.

So the root folder is the first folder that is media100? Okay now i got it!
You put the bin in the first folder.
But that's also sometimes called a directory?
I also keep trying to load the bin into windows notepad to save it in the first folder and its not working?
What's an SD disk? Mine says sata drive?

I'm just going to have geek squad do it.

So the root folder is the first folder that is media100? Okay now i got it!
You put the bin in the first folder.
But that's also sometimes called a directory?
I also keep trying to load the bin into windows notepad to save it in the first folder and its not working?
What's an SD disk? Mine says sata drive?

I'm just going to have geek squad do it.
I can't tell if you're being serious.

Forget folders.
Don't try to put the .bin file in any folder.
Just put it on the SD card so it isn't in any folder ... then it will be in what's called the root directory.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31