HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

My current range is around 2500' with video/camera feed continuous. So i am not sure if it's the pilots side of the bird side mod I would need either.

Kijk 'Blade Antenna for 2.4GHz' op YouTube
Maybe good to see before you spend a lot of money.

Verzonden met mobiel, klein toetsenbord met assistentie van de woordverkreukelaar.

Very interesting little antennas ! The explanation on how to make are really nice :) I guess anyone who is a bit addicted to antennas should give these ones a try !

When I have free time I will certainly look for parts and try to build 2 of the 4 bladed ones for FPV on P2V.

What can I do to achieve better video results? My video is currently cutting out at about 1800-2200 feet (days vary)

I have a re700 modified with 2- 5dbi antennas.

The video ends up really choppy on some days and others completely clear at 1080p 30fps.

I have never had a fail safe kick in on me so I don't think it is a control issue. Just to be sure I extended my range to 3000' today. It cut out at the usual range of 1800'. Flying all at about 250' according to the vision app.( I don't believe it.the trees all around the area are over 500' tall)

I am open to any suggestions and ideas. Thanks for your time and help.

Hi All,

When I started looking into antenna modification I found it all a bit bewildering and I just didn't know what I wanted or where, or indeed how to actually do the mods. However, now that I've fully modded my Phantom 2 Vision+ with a Stage 4 kit, I wanted to write a quick guide to help others thinking of doing the same thing, along with links to the various tutorials out there.

This is unashamedly an http://fpvlr.com/ biased post, but that's only because I've got nothing but praise for both the quality of the antennas and Tony's (the owner) commitment to helping you out with post and pre-sales support. I've seen many posts from other users who say they've visited him personally at his antenna factory and said what a really nice and very hard working guy he is, and it was those types of posts that gave me the confidence and trust in spending a lot of money for the antennas. :)

FPVLR offer different stage kits, each designed to include everything you need for your desired price point/distance.

Some people have mentioned that their transmitter and quadcopter need to be relinked after the Stage 3/4 mod

Desired Outcome: Do you want to avoid loosing video feed before control signal?
Contents: 2.4Ghz Half-sphere helix for distance, plus a 2.4Ghz pinwheel for close range operation.
Tutorial:
Improvements: Expect 2 to 3 times range compared to stock
Modification: Range extender only
Kit Required: Stage 1 - STAGE 1 KIT Pilot's side-only video

Desired Outcome: Improve both the video and control signal distance.
Contents: Stage 1 plus 5.8Ghz 4-1/4 turn helix
Tutorial:
(a bit long but you can skip to see the useful bits)
Improvements: Around 5000-8000ft (wifi congestion dependant)
Modification: Range extender and transmitter
Kit Required: Stage 2 - STAGE 2 KIT - Pilot's side

Outcome: Great 360 degree control at long distances
Contents: Stage 2 plus 2 x 2.4Ghz pinwheels and 2 x 5.8Ghz pinwheels for the Phantom
Tutorial (my own 5.8Ghz mod):
Tutorial (2.4Ghz mod - end of video, except replace both 2.4Ghz antennas):
Improvements: Increase in distance and a reliable control and video feeds at those distances
Modification: Range extender, transmitter, and Phantom
Kit Required: Stage 3 - Stage 3 Kit -Pilot and Bird

Outcome: Massive distances (3.1 miles, 16469ft, 5km) documented, other users have gone further
Contents: Stage 3 plus Sunhans 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz boosters with battery pack
Tutorial: As Stage 3 plus stick the boosters on with velcro (or 3M Lock Tape) as seen in the pic below.
Improvements: Really great distances! I did 3.1 miles as seen here viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26776
Modification: Range extender, transmitter, Phantom, and additional attachments to transmitter
Kit Required: Stage 4 - Stage 4 Kit
Antenna Mounts: Sold by Tony at FPVLR: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=117

does anyone know where i can find info for the best antennas for the receiver on the phantom itself, not the wifi?

Yes. www.phantompilots.com has a lot of info. :p

Assuming you are transmitting linear, the stock antennas aren't bad. The FPVLR dipoles are probably a little better, but the generic rubber duckies are also good. Not sure which of those two are best for receiving the 5.8 linear. Potentially, a good directional linear patch antenna would beat all of the above, but mounting and aiming would be challenging.

Hope this helps.

i was actually looking at using 5.8G 4 Leaves Circular Polarized RHCP RX Antenna's but would like to know if anyone else has used them and how do they like them and what kind of performance did they get?

I've been searching though the forum but have not been able to locate any info on the receiving antennas.

Yes, those antennas would match up nicely, but history has shown they're no better than the two linear antennas that match up nicely, and you can set up the linear with much less trouble and much less expense. Some will make an argument that the CP will burn though foliage better or perform better with lots of interference, others will argue the linear has an advantage in that it can bounce.

IMO, there is good potential on a long CP helical antenna on the control side and a high quality CP patch on the bird side, but that has yet to be tested thoroughly, IMO. Another potential winner yet to be discovered is a long helical on the control side and a half-sphere on bird side, but who makes a half sphere in 5.8? Nobody AFAIK. And it would have to be with the cable coming out the side instead of the bottom, I think. And mounting on the bird would be a challenge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub