How much wind can a P4 take

DJS

Reaction score
How much wind can a P4 take and still be reasonably controlled? I chose not to fly today due to repeated 18MPH GUSTS.

It can take a lot, but it's no fun, and it makes the motors work very hard to maintain position, attitude, and altitude. Look at it this way - flying directly into a 20 or so mph headwind while in P-mode, you'd only be making about 1-3 MPH across the ground or maybe you'd even be going backwards. 15 MPH is my limit including gusts since they are what cause the motors to work so hard.

!8 MPH on the ground is pretty rough when considering the wind is usually stronger when higher up in the sky. I think you made a good decision.

b1a5aae731da7a3f7e4f73f1737f87cd.jpg

Almost 44 mph, no problems

Reactions: azone14
I have been trying to work out why I had two near 'fatal' flyaways in windy conditions. The drone gave an IMU exceptioon warning and the flight log indicated loss of GPS. I'm wondering if high wind can cause flyaways for some technical reason that I am unaware of?

I have been trying to work out why I had two near 'fatal' flyaways in windy conditions. The drone gave an IMU exceptioon warning and the flight log indicated loss of GPS. I'm wondering if high wind can cause flyaways for some technical reason that I am unaware of?

One thing that comes to mind is that in high wind, the copter leans into the wind at a very noticeable angle while attempting to both maintain position and fly into it. With the GPS sensor on the top, it is possible that it looses the link with the Sats that it connected to while level prior to takeoff. Especially if there are any other obstacles nearby like buildings or trees. Just an idea anyway.

I think your idea has a lot of merit as I got a gimbal limit warning as well which indicates serious movement. The PH4 was over a lake with no obstacles.

So from these responses I see no reason, as a hobbyist, to fly an expensive drone in questionable conditions. I choose to stay out of the wind and enjoy my drone on another day.

Reactions: Acb1
So from these responses I see no reason, as a hobbyist, to fly an expensive drone in questionable conditions. I choose to stay out of the wind and enjoy my drone on another day.
I agree with you. To me, a phantom is too expensive to just fly without caution.

I don't think of it as questionable. Question was asked and answered. I was able to fly, very stable flight and hover and various altitudes with winds between 20-44 mph - no issues. It will reduce your flight time, sure, but the craft works just fine. If I needed to fly in that weather again I would, but clearly, avoid it if I could just to be extra cautious when possible

I was able to fly, very stable flight and hover and various altitudes with winds between 20-44 mph - no issues.
These aircraft are able to stay upright in an amazing amount of wind. However, they might not be able to make it back to the home point when the wind is too strong. I've seen many a flight log where the craft slowly moved away from the home point as it was returning home due to strong winds.

These aircraft are able to stay upright in an amazing amount of wind. However, they might not be able to make it back to the home point when the wind is too strong. I've seen many a flight log where the craft slowly moved away from the home point as it was returning home due to strong winds.

Not saying don't take extra precautions and pay mind to if you'll be returning into or behind the wind. Returning with a 44 mph tail wind is kinda nice, especially in sport mode :)

Reactions: blackcrusader
Reactions: Drestin Black
I did a morning flight for sunrise. Now hovering is harder for the drone than moving. Anyways upshot was I got a critically low battery warning at 35% battery as I had been hovering with a strong wind. However I had flown out in a head wind and on the way back in RTH mode was doing 51 mph. I descended from max height 1640 foot and over about 1.5 miles out. Got back to home point in a rush using full left stick lock. I was up around 10350 ft altitude. From the video it looks smooth until you watch those clouds above me whiz past into my sunrise but the clouds below are barely moving. Drone was back at home point with normal battery levels so hovering consumed a lot of power. The mountains about 7 miles dead ahead where the sun comes over are 13000 ft plus altitude.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This flight was done with minimal wind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic