How many people went straight to DJI instead of smaller drones first?

Im a newbie too.. Flew a few rc copters with my kids. Then one day bought this from an authorised dji dealer here. By the time it arrived had reviewed all the available manuals and stuff and of course some 150 youtubes on phantom 3 Professional

They need to make bomb proof beginner drones!
Whoops, crash proof, would be a better, kinder way to describe this. ;-)
If you are giving it away, donate it to a rehab or children's hospital ward. I don't know... I won't need or want it, but please do give it a good home, to a worthy soul.

RedHotPoker

The Syma X5SW is pretty bombproof as you can drop it from 30 feet and it will still fly.

Anyone else first had a Syma X5C or X5SW?

Reactions: ScottLB
Started with one of those r/c planes when I was a kid (well, a littler kid) that had the glow plug type gas engine and a prop that could slice fingers before you wondered where all the blood was coming from. I think it was a P-40 and it only flew in circles on two guide cables. Not much fun. Then went on to the Hubsan H4 with the little camera FPV. Has been crashed many times but I still have it. Fly it sometimes now, but it doesn't take very long to remember it doesn't auto-hover like my P3S. Still a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I flew some Walmart ones ($100) long ago. They were a tad bigger but way more agile then the Phantom 3 Pro I have.

The Syma X5SW is pretty bombproof as you can drop it from 30 feet and it will still fly.

Anyone else first had a Syma X5C or X5SW?

I have a x5C and love the **** thing. I crash it daily and it keeps on trucking!
I've pulled the camera landing gear and all extra weight and just use it for flying around like a *******. It's so much fun.
Lately I've been mastering letting it drop while flipping and then hovering it just before it hits the ground at full speed. Tons of fun!

My P3A was about my 10th quadcopter after having flown numerous toys including a Parrot AR 2.0. The Syma X11 models were my favorites because they were small enough to fly indoors as well as outside in a light breeze. My first GPS stabilized quad was a Blade 350 QX3 and the a P2. I bought the P2 with a gimbal kit and I soon realized I really wanted more control of the camera from the remote. I kind of kicked myself for jumping on that P2 auction on ebay but now I am glad I still have it. It flies a little differently but fun nonetheless.

I have a x5C and love the **** thing. I crash it daily and it keeps on trucking!
I've pulled the camera landing gear and all extra weight and just use it for flying around like a *******. It's so much fun.
Lately I've been mastering letting it drop while flipping and then hovering it just before it hits the ground at full speed. Tons of fun!
I did have a Syma X5. Or should I say my son and stepdaughter had Syma X5's. I used them more than they did. I even upgraded the antennas in the transmitter to give them better range.

I had a little micro quad that's a blast too, really good way to hone skills as its a total bear to fly.
I crashed it I to a candle and the wax killed the motor, so I need to snag another one

Given my propensity 1) not to RTFM (at least until I can't puzzle something out) and 2) puzzling out things by breaking them, I started out with a Hubsan X4. Glad I did as it gives you the skills to handle the Phantom when it gets wonky. More than once I've lost GPS (damned trees and canyons) and had to manually fly the thing out of danger. Having muscle memory developed makes a difference.

But if you are careful, read the instructions a couple of dozen times (or wait until DJI hires a real technical writer) and take it step by step you would do fine with a Phantom as a first UAV.

But the little ones are a lot of fun.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
My first drone was from Parrot AR Drone few years ago. Had great fun with it. Then bought many other drones. I was a Glider Pilot but switched to drones now

I started with a Syma X8C and a micro quad you get off of eBay for around £15! Then got a P3s then swapped that for a P3a :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

First drone? P3A closely followed by a P3P (long story, GREAT deal).

I did have prior RC experience including fixed wing and standard single rotor heli's (gas powered). I am not a certified pilot but I almost was (changed jobs just after my cross-country solo so couldn't afford to finish at the time).

So, yea first drone was a DJI. But not my first RC/flight experience. If that counts.

Given prior RC experience, I will say these P3's are FAR easier to learn/fly than the past RC choppers I have flown (and mowed a hell of a lot of grass with). Honestly, these are not the easiest thing to crash. Let go of the sticks on a P3 and it stops and politely waits. Let go the sticks on a RC chopper and its coming down. Fast.

I went from nothing straight to a P3P. I have a pilot's license and a good bit of common sense. The common sense was applied, the pilot's license didn't add much value other than I have been up in the air before. I too am not fond of wasting money, so I have been fairly cautious with mine. Have taken it out about 1 mile away, but kept it mostly in my 17 acre backyard. I have crashed it once, but was 5 ft off the ground and one of the props caught a miniscule branch on one of my trees in the yard. Didn't hurt anything but my pride and a prop. Other than that, it's been a successful purchase so far. And when I show family and friends what it will do (Follow Me, Point of Interest, etc.)and all of the flight data it captures, they are absolutely shocked at what it will do. My biggest headache is I don't want to post video to Facebook or any other list of websites. I just want to share it with family and friends, let them enjoy it and maintain the pristine quality of the video at the same time. Not sure how to do that without spending 25% of the cost of the drone on software that edits the video. Any ideas you can share on that would be terrific. Good luck with your flying!

IMovie is a free Download. ;-)
I also have Adobe Premiere Elements installed on my HP desktop.
You can create a YouTube channel that is private. Password protected. ;-)
For distant relatives and prison penpals. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ObiDon
I've flown and crashed all kinds of Rc heli's but my P3A is only my second quadcopter!! My first was the Parrot AR 2.0!! Certainly there is no comparison but I guess it did give me some idea how to fly!!

I started off on fixed wing RC with glow motors as a kid. Tried RC helis but too easy to crash. First drone was a V2+ but they had so many problems. Then onto my P3Pro which was a dream come true!
Oh I fly full sized fixed wing and helis as well but they don't count!

I am new to quadcopter after flying radio control airplanes for over 30 years on and off. I recently got a Blade Zeyrok for my son to play with (and me too). It has no GPS, but is relatively stable in 2 of its 3 modes.

I have been checking into Phantom Pilots to learn more for a few months, as it looked like a lot of good advice before I took the plunge, and just signed up a few days ago.

About 3 weeks ago, I got the P3P, and have had a blast with it so far, and have had no issues.

I did alot of research on quads and I knew I wanted a Phantom, I had never flown a drone before or any other rc vehicles other than cars. My wife surprised me on Christmas with a P3A,. Other than a few broken props trying to fly too close to some trees, I have had more fun flying this drone than anything thing else I have ever done. I admit I used beginner mode for several flights until I got the hang of it. My adult son saw that I was having so much fun that he bought a P4. Lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic