How many flyaways and problems? Really...?

Reaction score
I just ordered a P2V+ but now I'm having second thoughts because of all the stories I'm reading about flyaways and quality control issues. Of course, I realize there must be many Phantoms flying completely normal...only the horror stories probably get posted. I just wonder if anyone has some idea of what percentage of Phantoms seem to have problems and what percentage fly normal after proper setup?

Here is a poll from another forum. It's not scientific but still alarming in that 31% have had a flyaway with half of those recovered.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... ht=flyaway
No doubt many of the flyaways could be blamed on pilot error and many who have have had no problems have not found this thread and posted. Also consider that many who post that they have not had problems may yet have a flyaway. There are many experienced RC enthusiasts who have had very many successful flights but then suffered a flyaway for no apparent reason.
Anytime you post about a flyaway, the DJI fanboys (or maybe shills) will do everything to blame it on pilot error but these are very complex machines with lots of ways to fail.
This is an expensive and somewaht risky hobby. If you absolutely could not afford the loss, maybe you should consider doing something different.

syotr said:
Here is a poll from another forum. It's not scientific but still alarming in that 31% have had a flyaway with half of those recovered.
No doubt many of the flyaways could be blamed on pilot error and many who have have had no problems have not found this thread and posted. Also consider that many who post that they have not had problems may yet have a flyaway. There are many experienced RC enthusiasts who have had very many successful flights but then suffered a flyaway for no apparent reason.
Anytime you post about a flyaway, the DJI fanboys (or maybe shills) will do everything to blame it on pilot error but these are very complex machines with lots of ways to fail.
This is an expensive and somewaht risky hobby. If you absolutely could not afford the loss, maybe you should consider doing something different.
Yes it is an expensive hobby I agree. Been in Rc 40 yrs and realize the risk and understand about the shills !
But doesn't it seem like a lot of flyaways lately ? 1300 a pop is a lot of money if it's not my fault.
I really am starting to worry if there's some kind of firemware issue.

syotr said:

Agreed on lots of components to potentially fail and a certain degree of risk to the hobby. The poll is really useless though as usually only people having issues are going to be in the forums reporting. Overall I would wage it is a very small percentage of units experiencing flyaways. I've been wondering about the effect of winds aloft on flyaways. I recall flying home on one of my flights at max thrust my Phantom was only making about 3 mph of headway. I had to drop altitude to get into calmer air before she would travel faster. Had the winds been 5 MPH faster would I have experienced a flyaway? Could be! :shock:

I have read many flyaway stories and had one of my own. The most common scenario seems to be that the Phantom suddenly tilts to some angle and flies away at full speed in spite of all attempts to stop it. This happens at various altitudes even low to the ground with little or no wind. If it is a firmware problem, it will likely happen to anyone eventually.
If it is a hardware or quality problem, only some users will be affected.
It should be relatively simple for DJI to find the problem. Fly enough with a simple data recorder attached until you have a flyaway. I wonder if they really know what is happening but don't want to admit it and face the cost of recalls, repairs and replacements.
Right now they have little competition and almost everyone who loses a Phantom, buys another one so there is not much incentive to fix the problem.

syotr said:
Right now they have little competition and almost everyone who loses a Phantom, buys another one so there is not much incentive to fix the problem.

If mines flyaway, I can't afford another one. :(

I think the problems you read about are real. There have been flyaways, and crashes, and black screens, and various other issues. Some are caused by inexperienced pilots, some by product failures, some by who knows what. The point is they're happening and they're real and don't assume they won't happen to you. Hard to say how many, but you're not alone in questioning should you jump into the pool or not.

The product hasn't been on the market a month yet. It is way too early to know how reliable this Vision Plus will be.

How badly do you need one? If you're about to wet your pants, roll the dice. If not, wait a month and you'll know way more than you do now. $1400 isn't pocket change......it's a couple of car payments or a months rent.

Personally, I bought one and it's sitting waiting for someone to figure out why the video won't stream to my iPhone. I'm not happy about it, but it's safer on the ground right now than in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl