How long should the write delay between taking photos be (P4p)?

Reaction score
I've had a P3pro for a couple years, just got the P4pro recently. I take a lot of panoramas where I will: take a photo, pan the camera, quickly take another photo, and so on. With the P3pro I rarely had any delay in taking many raw photos in a row. But with the P4pro I'm finding it is seemingly taking a lot longer to write the photos. I'm using what I think is a pretty fast card, the San Disk Extreme Pro (https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I can take a couple photos, but then I need to wait for the camera to catch up. This causes me to sometimes take the same photo twice because when I press the shutter button (either on the screen or the remote) sometimes it doesn't register until the previous photo is finished writing. All in all it just feels very "laggy". Is this normal with the P4p?

I've had a P3pro for a couple years, just got the P4pro recently. I take a lot of panoramas where I will: take a photo, pan the camera, quickly take another photo, and so on. With the P3pro I rarely had any delay in taking many raw photos in a row. But with the P4pro I'm finding it is seemingly taking a lot longer to write the photos. I'm using what I think is a pretty fast card, the San Disk Extreme Pro (https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I can take a couple photos, but then I need to wait for the camera to catch up. This causes me to sometimes take the same photo twice because when I press the shutter button (either on the screen or the remote) sometimes it doesn't register until the previous photo is finished writing. All in all it just feels very "laggy". Is this normal with the P4p?
The P3 pro would also take a while to write raw image files - but the P4 pro files are almost twice as big so it takes even longer to write them.
A faster card won't speed things up as the bottleneck is how fast the camera writes to the card.
Do you really need raw files if you are putting them in the blender to create panoramas anyway?

I do need raw files, they make for a much better blender. Anyway, the question I’m asking is if this bottleneck is as noticeable on other people P4pros as it is on mine? Today I tried three different fast cards. With each one I was finding a very noticeable lag with the camera. Sometimes it would be 10+ seconds before I could take the next picture. It reminded me of the write speed of my old P2vision.

I do need raw files, they make for a much better blender. Anyway, the question I’m asking is if this bottleneck is as noticeable on other people P4pros as it is on mine? Today I tried three different fast cards. With each one I was finding a very noticeable lag with the camera. Sometimes it would be 10+ seconds before I could take the next picture. It reminded me of the write speed of my old P2vision.
I suggested it because I shoot a lot of big panoramas and use jpg because it would take much too long to be practical in raw.
I'm very demanding and see no issues to complain about in my jpg panoramas.
Yes ... that's normal and faster cards won't make it any faster.

I use 0.1 sec delay between raw files and I take usually 59images in a row without having any issue. I am having 128gb version of this card.

Reactions: mikeboruta
I suggested it because I shoot a lot of big panoramas and use jpg because it would take much too long to be practical in raw.
I'm very demanding and see no issues to complain about in my jpg panoramas.
Yes ... that's normal and faster cards won't make it any faster.

The limit is on the card reader/writer on the drone itself and as it shoots videos up to 100mbps it is able to handle that speed, so shooting each 2 seconds a 20mb raw file is nothing compared to the video. Having card which supports 100mb write speed will allow you to use your device at max available speed.

I can confirm that this issue persists even if I’m only shooting jpg. Sometimes it will let me fire off a few pictures in a row, other times the “saving” indicator will spin for 5-10 seconds before letting me take another photo, and other times it will appear ready to take another photo but the button (both on the controller and on the screen) will be completely unresponsive, as if it is momentarily frozen. I may press it a few times in frustration and then a few seconds later I’ll hear shutter sound as the camera finally takes the photo. I’ve tried three fast sd cards and they all act the same way. This can’t be normal. Is it the camera? The app? All my firmware is up to date. I’m loving the P4pro but this is making it a lot less fun.

I just tried it out on my iPhone 6 with iOS 11 and it worked like a charm! I was able to snap off photos as quickly as I could with the P3p. So some thing must be wrong with the install on my iPad Mini 4 (brand new with iOS 11). I’m glad something isn’t wrong with the camera. I’ll reinstall the GO app on the iPad and report back in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED! I just uninstalled the GO app on my iPad Mini 4 (ios 11), rebooted, then reinstalled. Testing it on my desk, it seems to be working normally now. I can take a new photo (raw + jpg) about every second, just long enough to pan left or right and to get overlapping shots for panoramas, which is all the speed I need. I think my problem was somehow rooted in a bad install of the GO app. So...if anyone else stumbles across this post because of the same issue, try uninstalling/reinstalling the GO app, or try using a different tablet or phone.

Reactions: Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl