How high should I fly in a park near the airport?

If that park is 2000' from the runway you not going to be able to spin the motors.

Instead of asking dumb questions why not sit down and the owners manual maybe then you'll know why your question is so stupid.

Thats Lindberg Field.... San Diego..... Lets see, civil aviation, Military, Coast Guard, ..... A no fly zone for sure, not to mention that park is on military real estate... Did I miss anything ?? You would be better off driving farther down Nimitz and hit mission bay.

Better yet, drive south on the strand to imperial beach, then you can fly into mexico.... They won't care... much

Last edited:
Why not find a better location to fly. Just because your equipment isn't affected by firmware limitations doesn't give the right to do as you please no matter how high you fly it.

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on a safe flight altitude for flying in a park near an airport. I have attached an image below to help show the relative locations of the park and the flight path. The distance from the end of the runway to the land on the other side of the inlet is about 2000ft (just under half a mile).

I retired from air traffic control after 30 yrs. My advice: do not fly there even if you could.

So, here is the test..... If you have to ask the question, it is usually not a good idea.
I think you are going to run into a whole bunch of problems if you fly there. I am pretty sure the Navy might have an issue or 10 about you flying on their turf. The Helicopter traffic over there will no doubt see you and say something to SAN tower or NAS North Island, and you will be answering questions indefinitely. Don't forget the Harbor police too....
Err on the side of caution........

Check this out.....
https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/

I see Mt. Solidad is well out of the NFZ, but it's in a fairly suburban area. Anybody know if there are local ordinances against flying there? This 'Zonie is planning a trip to the San Diego area next month and I like to find some picturesque, and friendly places to fly.

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on a safe flight altitude for flying in a park near an airport. I have attached an image below to help show the relative locations of the park and the flight path. The distance from the end of the runway to the land on the other side of the inlet is about 2000ft (just under half a mile).

I have no intention of flying at high altitudes or pushing the limits, I was just curious if you guys think that flying at altitudes of 50-100ft or even less is appropriate? To be extra safe, I plan to lower the upper limits on my software when I plan to fly in this park.

Thanks!

b0MNxTM.jpg
This has nothing to do with what firmware you may or may not have loaded. It is about common sense. Isn;t it ?:rolleyes:

If that park is 2000' from the runway you not going to be able to spin the motors.

Instead of asking dumb questions why not sit down and the owners manual maybe then you'll know why your question is so stupid.

While you're right that the manual covers this... Your response seems to be over the top rude for no reason. If you are so angered by people asking what you consider stupid questions... Maybe you should avoid forums all together. I've seen you add a lot to certain topics in a respectful way... But I've also seen the troll creep out from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah personally even without having the no fly zones built into my phantom there's no way I'd be flying anywhere near that airport along with the naval base right beside it too. I just live 4 miles from Dublin airport and although I can can take off it will only let me go up 85m. There's much nicer places to fly away from airports anyway.

Hi all,

I have no intention of flying at high altitudes or pushing the limits, I was just curious if you guys think that flying at altitudes of 50-100ft or even less is appropriate? To be extra safe, I plan to lower the upper limits on my software when I plan to fly in this park.

Thanks!

b0MNxTM.jpg

Don't.

A loss of control combined with sudden shift in the wind could turn your phantom into a serious threat to any aircraft operating in the area. The risks are far too great.

Unlikely many here will understand the reference, but I used to scream at the planes on Lindberg not too far from that park...

You'll likely get a lot of unwanted attention there. Besides, La Jolla's got better views anyway.

Look man I'll be honest with you, i'm 5 miles away from JFK airport..so I have alot of airplanes my way. I only fly about 20-30 ft in the air...

Yes I believe it is a no fly zone on the DJI software, but I was unclear whether or not it is actually illegal to fly at low altitudes or not. The FAA website: "Do contact the airport or control tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport"

Has anyone ever tried contacting the airport to see if they are ok with low altitude flights nearby?

You are correct, and I file UAS Flight Notifications all of the time. With that being said, there is no way I would even attempt to fly in the location you indicated. If the location I need to film is within 2 miles of an airport I will tell the customer that I can only do pole photography or traditional photography. I got very fortunate that I did not end up living within 5 miles of any airports.

I sometimes fly at an electronic RC flying field that is just a few blocks from the north end of the runways at SeaTac airport outside of Seattle. I have photos of my RC Corsair flying parallel with a 747 in the back ground. I fly my drones here, but never above about 75 feet. I've never taken the Phantom 2 here, but the P1 and the others I have flown here, though I usually just fly fixed wings at this park.
I'm at work and on a semi secure computer which will not allow me to do screen shots or download photos, so all I can do is offer a link to the flying field. If you are curious you can zoom in and see that this is literally a stone's throw from the runways. I've often wondered how we are allowed to have a flying field this close to one of the nation's busiest commercial airports?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/maps.php?do=RCfield&id=3273

This will be interesting to see put to the test.
That's fantastic news for many - especially the no-fly zones where people live near abandoned or unused old airports and can't fly because DJI included them.
Half my town is a no-fly zone ... except that licenced and certified can generally get permission for almost all of the town if they go through the correct channels and stay below the required heights, so any bird that had restrictions built in would be useless to anyone for use professionally where they get their flights authorised.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic