How hard do you tighten your props?

Reaction score
I tighten them down by hand pretty hard. (not hard enough to need the wrench to take them off thought.)
I'm not sure if this is necessary or not,in the official video tutorial they are not tightened down hard at all.

One of my props gives a little resistance when being put on the motor, is it safe to use? (motor threading is fine, the prop from the second set doesn't do this).

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing when I first got mine and did quite a bit of research.
Tighten by hand just enough to they are tight, but not stuck on and difficult to remove.
Since the threads are plastic, over-tightening can strip/loosen them.

Not much risk of them coming off if not tight since the props will rotate in the tightening direction upon start up.

Reactions: Bratinov
As the manual says .. tighten by hand.
Don't use excessive force - this risks damaging the threads in the composite hubs.
Just make them firm - don't lean on them.
i-78Vd8CC-L.jpg

I just spin them freely until they stop, then give a little extra small turn. Not much though, just enough to snug them down.

I nip mine up with the wrench.

Better to have them a little snug, than a bit too loose...

I use the wrench to hold the motor steady and give an extra eight to a quarter turn.

Nice and firm.

RedHotPoker

First, get a good size breaker bar...

I'm kidding. Spin on until they stop then turn just slightly by hand. I'd say 3mm or so at the hub. Just enough to snug them very little.

Reactions: Phill2
Guys I just did some tests. I used to spin then give it that extra hand job (ha) to make sure it's nice and tight. Well... I won't be doing that anymore!!

First test, I just spun them until they stopped, then armed the motors and did a short flight. Afterwards I checked the props and they were tight!

On the next test I just loosely spun them in (1-2 spins), and armed.. And again.. They were tight to a point I didn't know which direction to loosen them.

And the best part it was done organically by the motors so I don't need to worry about variance between my spin and the motors.

Try it! I'm not tightening mine anymore. It can't come loose even in a free fall.

Question was to what degree.. In my tests it equaled the hand tightening step most of us do.

Just lost a prop mid-flight on a P4 Pro today. Bird flew for about 8 minutes and then down she came. Clearly one prop missing and no sign of it. It's likely on a roof nearby.

Not mistaken those aren’t screw on props are they.
Ones in this thread are and are reversed threaded from how they turn, thus self-thightening.
Post in this section Phantom 4 Discussion

Correct. The Phantom 4 are not screw on. Prop losses from this aircraft are being reported as well. Was it operator error, possibly but I did check they were tight several times

Reactions: dirkclod
Correct. The Phantom 4 are not screw on. Prop losses from this aircraft are being reported as well. Was it operator error, possibly but I did check they were tight several times
True that but you need to be in the right section to pick up any info on that 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.