how do you export "flight record" video

Reaction score
I've seen people post video's of their "flight record" the one in the pic below. How is this done? Is there anyway to do this easily (can I pull a video file directly) or do you need to use some third party screen recording app? I've had a root round using Ifunbox but can't find anything.
I'm using an iPad Air.

X5VrBv.jpg

Hold the home button and on off button on the iPad at the same time to take a screen shot. Save it on the iPad. Then upload to wherever

Reactions: skyhighdiver
At the risk of sounding dumb,,,, How do I see the "flight record" on the iPad?

Actually, you can still use Shou on non jail broken iOS devices for free, you just need to download and "Trust" the "untrusted" recording app directly from their web site at http://shou.tv/i.

To record hi res games (and possibly the Pilot app at high res), you may have to turn on Assistive Touch (found in Settings->Accessibility). Also before you record, make sure your orientation is correct (home button on left or home button on right), or it may record upside down.

I usually tie Assistive Touch to the Triple Tap function of the home button (under accessibility), so it can easily be turned on/off. The little Touch circle it puts on the screen can be dragged to a out of the way location around the edge.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
I think you misunderstand.
I'm not after the flight data, I'm after the flight record.

Unless you managed to find this via Ifunbox? In which case I'm all ears!

Here's a couple of approaches. I'm using an Android device. If you're an Apple person, you're half on your own!

I connect my Galaxy S5 to my PC. PC sees it as an external device. Search through the Phone until I find the DJI folder, then the pilot folder, then the logs folder. Thre's a gob of flyxxx.txt files in there - but they ain't text files. Copy one or more to your computer.

Then go to one of the following - maybe both will work -
I think you misunderstand.
I'm not after the flight data, I'm after the flight record.

Unless you managed to find this via Ifunbox? In which case I'm all ears!

Settle back in your chair - this is long - I'll try to keep to the point.
My choice of device here is a Galaxy S5 phone. If you're using an iOS device this technique will most likely need to be modified.

I connect my phone to my PC with the charging/USB cable. The PC "sees" it as an external device.
Open "phone" to get to folders.
Find the DJI folder
Find the pilot folder
Find the log folder - this should all be very straightforward

Inside the "log folder" you'll find an array of flyxxx.txt files. They're not text files - they're binary. Copy one or more of them to your PC in a temporary location. It might help if you go back to your Pilot app and quickly review your flight records. Then, when you choose a file you'll know the proper date/time to grab one - pain in the butt to grab one where you sat on the ground just testing!

Open browser - navigate to www.djilogs.com
Upload the pilot log (you can only do one at a time) and convert to the file type of your choice.

CSV files are comma-delimited files that can be seen in Excel. There is an overwhelming amount of data available, particularly in the comprehensive CSV format.

Now that you have your CSV file, go to www.flightreplay.com and you can actually view your flight. Apparently the actual .txt file is of great value to the engineers at DJI - they can get a really good idea of what went wrong.

There's another step as well, but, if your Phantom is in pieces, this one will not work for you. But I'll pass it on anyway.

Inside your Phantom - now that yours has been eviscerated you might be able to see it! - is an internal SD card. It's epoxied in there somewhere and wasn't designed to be removed. But, when your Phantom works, you can access the data. With everything connected and running (P3, Pilot app and RC), tap the Flight Mode icon, then select Advanced Settings, the select Enter Flight Data Mode.

You will then be prompted to connect a cable between the front USB port on your Phantom (it's underneath that little rubber door below the Phantom logo on the front) and your PC and download the .dat files - flight records.

Once you have your pinkies on those .dat files, you can go the route above (djilogs.com) and covert the same way - see the data, see the flight, etc.

So, without total destruction, there's two ways to gain access to the flight record data - you're down to one but there's still a good chance you can retrieve the data from your device and get it to DJI - MAKE A COPY OF WHAT YOU SEND!

Good luck - hope this helps.

Reactions: 30secs
Cool, I'll have a play. You seem to think my P3 has crashed though?
It hasn't and is fine, I'd just like to be able to have a copy of the map part of the flight record so I can overlay this onto the recorded video. It's a much better map than the simple "trace" you can overlay using Dashware and the extracted txt file turned into a CSV loaded into Dashware as a flytrex profile which is what I've already done.

See below as a screenshot from a video I've made.

NbhEKc.jpg

It's the flight "trace" (bottom left) I'd like to replace with the video of the flight record (see a screen shot of this video below)

1fTwvC.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple of approaches. I'm using an Android device. If you're an Apple person, you're half on your own!

I connect my Galaxy S5 to my PC. PC sees it as an external device. Search through the Phone until I find the DJI folder, then the pilot folder, then the logs folder. Thre's a gob of flyxxx.txt files in there - but they ain't text files. Copy one or more to your computer.

Then go to one of the following - maybe both will work -

Settle back in your chair - this is long - I'll try to keep to the point.
My choice of device here is a Galaxy S5 phone. If you're using an iOS device this technique will most likely need to be modified.

I connect my phone to my PC with the charging/USB cable. The PC "sees" it as an external device.
Open "phone" to get to folders.
Find the DJI folder
Find the pilot folder
Find the log folder - this should all be very straightforward

Inside the "log folder" you'll find an array of flyxxx.txt files. They're not text files - they're binary. Copy one or more of them to your PC in a temporary location. It might help if you go back to your Pilot app and quickly review your flight records. Then, when you choose a file you'll know the proper date/time to grab one - pain in the butt to grab one where you sat on the ground just testing!

Open browser - navigate to www.djilogs.com
Upload the pilot log (you can only do one at a time) and convert to the file type of your choice.

CSV files are comma-delimited files that can be seen in Excel. There is an overwhelming amount of data available, particularly in the comprehensive CSV format.

Now that you have your CSV file, go to www.flightreplay.com and you can actually view your flight. Apparently the actual .txt file is of great value to the engineers at DJI - they can get a really good idea of what went wrong.

There's another step as well, but, if your Phantom is in pieces, this one will not work for you. But I'll pass it on anyway.

Inside your Phantom - now that yours has been eviscerated you might be able to see it! - is an internal SD card. It's epoxied in there somewhere and wasn't designed to be removed. But, when your Phantom works, you can access the data. With everything connected and running (P3, Pilot app and RC), tap the Flight Mode icon, then select Advanced Settings, the select Enter Flight Data Mode.

You will then be prompted to connect a cable between the front USB port on your Phantom (it's underneath that little rubber door below the Phantom logo on the front) and your PC and download the .dat files - flight records.

Once you have your pinkies on those .dat files, you can go the route above (djilogs.com) and covert the same way - see the data, see the flight, etc.

So, without total destruction, there's two ways to gain access to the flight record data - you're down to one but there's still a good chance you can retrieve the data from your device and get it to DJI - MAKE A COPY OF WHAT YOU SEND!

Good luck - hope this helps.

Any work arounds or alternative site for www.flightreplay.com? The site itself says they're having issues with the automated email going out to people on Time Warner (unfortunately me...), so I'm not receiving the confirmation email to activate the account :(

Any work arounds or alternative site for www.flightreplay.com? The site itself says they're having issues with the automated email going out to people on Time Warner (unfortunately me...), so I'm not receiving the confirmation email to activate the account :(

That kind of stuff is beyond my pay grade! I *think* you might be able to accomplish something like what you want with litchi, but I don't know much about it. Someone who used it for their Phantom 2 (or vision, etc) might be able to help.

www.flylitchi.com can create a CSV file, but I have no idea what to do with the file after that to view the flight like flightreplay does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers