how do people get around flying in no fly zones?

Wow... there are many reasons why I wouldn't buy a house next to an airport.... but mark up another one here. I'm very sorry to you folks in those areas. Ouch!

Here's one for you all: I am a photographer, and I will be volunteering my services to the MS Society shooting their annual Jet Pull here in RI. Being that this will be RIGHT at the airport, do you think they will let me fly? Even just a little higher than the jet they are pulling? I emailed the airport, but of course got no response, so I think I will call them. I'm thinking they'll laugh at me first, then say no.... The area that they will be at is in a far corner away from runways, but being so close, would I even get my P2 Non-Vision off the ground?

With a P2 I believe you can switch into ATTI mode and still fly. You need to contact the control tower to let them know your intentions. If they do not want to let you maybe if you use a tether they would permit it. A tether is a line connected to the ground and your quad, essentially a leash insuring it could not go to high or get away from you.

With a P2 I believe you can switch into ATTI mode and still fly. You need to contact the control tower to let them know your intentions. If they do not want to let you maybe if you use a tether they would permit it. A tether is a line connected to the ground and your quad, essentially a leash insuring it could not go to high or get away from you.

Yea, I emailed the airport, but will find their number and call. Never thought about a tether, that might be a good idea. Maybe I can tie it to the jet they are pulling. They usually pull a full-size FedEx jet. It's pretty cool actually, seeing teams of people actually pulling something that big.

There are purpose made UAV tethers avaiable. I dont think you will want it tetherd to the jet. You will want to be off to the side of the jet not directly over it right? And you dont want to see the tether in your footage. Use a tether as your last resort as it will add to the technical end of the flight.

There are purpose made UAV tethers avaiable. I dont think you will want it tetherd to the jet. You will want to be off to the side of the jet not directly over it right? And you dont want to see the tether in your footage. Use a tether as your last resort as it will add to the technical end of the flight.

yea, this is true, on all counts. We'll see.. I'll call the airport.

Call directly to the control tower as they are the concerned party, if you call a general airport number you'll spend half a day in the phone loop.

Call directly to the control tower as they are the concerned party, if you call a general airport number you'll spend half a day in the phone loop.

I've tried scouring their website and can't find any control tower information. There are other numbers on their site, I'll have to brace myself for phone-loop hell... :eek:

Sorry... didn't know about that... was going by the airport's web site. I'll give it a try.
I have no idea if there is such a directory as I was just throwing it out there as a question. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic but in re-reading it you may have seen it that way. :oops:

Reactions: dirkclod
As shaming goes, ratite shame is among the worst TJ.

dc's mascot is burdened to live as a bird that can't fly!

EDIT: Oh, now Clint? Ain't going there!

Nope,

Just gonna make you sinewy.

LOL :p

;)

I have no idea if there is such a directory as I was just throwing it out there as a question. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic but in re-reading it you may have seen it that way. :oops:

Kinda sorta did, but no worries. Hey, I'm new at all this, so I'm doing the best I can. I've already learned a lot from you all... now I'm gonna have to get me the "blank stare" pic too... lol... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik