how do people get around flying in no fly zones?

Reaction score
out yesterday there was a inspire 1 flying above us on as we were on a boat.
clearly he was in a no fly zone.

image.jpg

That isn't DJI's no fly zone map. Although national parks, military installations, and areas designated as temporary no fly zones are indeed no fly zones, the only thing hard coded in the software is airports.

i see whats the range? thats 5miles theres and airport to the right on the shore...

i have about 4 spots i wanna fly my new p3p but i wanna make sure it isn't gonna get shot down.

i have two airports and then also sikorsky pretty close to where i am

This is the map you want to use to determine DJI's no fly zones. http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc If you are within a no fly zone on that link, you shouldn't even be able to start the motors. If you aren't, but know that there is an airport close, that's on you. As far as getting it shot down, that could happen anywhere. I think CT has some pretty strict gun laws, so it may not be as much of a concern as it is where I am.

Reactions: vinnnocc
I too am a little confused whether I can fly in my area or not...I am 4.5 miles away from JFK airport.

I am able to start it up and fly it...but I'm not sure if that's legal or not.

The DJI Pilot app shows the no fly zone on your device.

I imagine that if you start a phantom in Atti without giving it time to record a position anyone could fly in a no fly zone. Is that correct? (this is not an invitation to do so however)

one way to get around a no fly zone is to not fly in gps or not to install any firmware that would provent you from flying in a non sence no fly zone were its still actully safe an legal to fly any way.

As far as getting it shot down, that could happen anywhere. I think CT has some pretty strict gun laws, so it may not be as much of a concern as it is where I am.

Well it dont matter what state any ones in being that its federal law that makes it a serous felony to shot at any flying craft of any kind manned or unnamed. and has been for years. and thats on top of the terrorism laws and also if you cause damage to some ones craft they are not only libel for that but if it crashed and caused any damage to any one else property or injured any one as a result of shooting it Then the person can be held criminally and civilly libel for the damage caused by there reckless act while committing and armed felony. Then they get a few years in the slammer to think about how stupid they are and when they get out its no more guns for them for life being felons with gun charges lose there rights to own firearms again.

Use the "Ok to fly - No GPS" mode and it won't matter. I live within 5 miles of an airport and I fly around my house all the time - with GPS. The DJI map is only 2 miles up to 400' then another 2 miles transverse spreading outwards. So the actual "no fly" zone in the DJI app is only 2 miles around the airports...it does suck that they added Stadiums to the "no fly" list.

Even around airports, the altitude is graduated depending on how close you are. Also, you can call the airport and get permission.

Plus, not everyone follows the rules, unfortunately.

Even around airports, the altitude is graduated depending on how close you are. Also, you can call the airport and get permission.

Plus, not everyone follows the rules, unfortunately.

I can't say I wouldn't fly 5 feet up in the air if I lived within 3 miles of an airport. hell, isn't a swing set higher than that?

This video explains it and I believe it is still up to date info - No FLY Zones | DJI

Basically, there is a less than 1.5 mile no fly area then at 1.5 miles the max height starts at 35' and gradually goes up until the 5 mile point at which it is no longer restricted.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic