how do i get POI lower to the ground?

Reaction score
i do a lot of commercial shoots where very tight and smooth 360° rotations around an object need to be made. i fly most of them manually but once in awhile i’m able to trick the system by taking off from a location that’s much lower than the destination so that i can do a rotation 5’ off the ground as opposed to the 17’ the DJI software minimum is set to. but that’s not always available to me and a pain as it’s often much further away than where i need to shoot.

is there a better trick or program or anything that would do perfect 360° rotations from 1’ agl and higher and also with a smaller radius? i heard there’s a trick with Active Track but haven’t been able to find it.

i also heard you can somehow manually set the home point *lower* than the height you actually took off from in Litchi. anyone know how or if it will work?

-

i really wish parts of the Go App were overridable. like POI height and radius minimums, making Tripod speed adjustable up to 10mph, terrain follow to be able to do declines, etc.

I do not think there is a way to do this in the go4app. The litchi and other 3rd party apps will allow a lower orbit height.

but - HOW?

i have Litchi and would like to know the process. please let me know if you know.

also - what other 3rd party apps would allow this? i have Drone Deploy but i don’t think it does.

I’ve done it. Do your poi and radius and height. Start the rotation. Then grab the joystick and adjust the height. It works.

in the Go app?

No, you close the go 4 App down and change the required settings in the Litchi app. Watch this video, it is a bit old but has the main points.

that seems waaaaay too imprecise.

a virtual circle over a large object. here is a fairly raw example of the kinds of shots i’m doing. i left the wall in at the end of the clip so you can see the small spaces i have to work and objects i have to fly between.

this is at a zoo and all the rocks and large dead tree are fake and made of concrete. the tree and rock work is the subject. real tight quarters and needs to be this low to the ground. i have flown 180s manually but it’s so much easier with POI. just trying to figure out a better way of shooting this low without having to take off from a place much lower than where i am shooting:

Last edited:
No, you close the go 4 App down and change the required settings in the Litchi app. Watch this video, it is a bit old but has the main points.

Maybe I didn’t understand him but I was talking about creating an orbit in the Go app then starting the orbit then using the sticks to change altitude ALL IN THE GO APP. So yes.

Am I the only one who can do this in GO 4?

There are lots of people who have incredible control of their drone just using the RC and can do this manually. It takes practice. Put the thing on tripod mode so the speed is reduced and controlling the drone is more precise with your movements. I’d try that rather than trying to get some automatic mode to work in this demanding environment.

There are lots of people who have incredible control of their drone just using the RC and can do this manually. It takes practice. Put the thing on tripod mode so the speed is reduced and controlling the drone is more precise with your movements. I’d try that rather than trying to get some automatic mode to work in this demanding environment.

yeah. as i’ve stated a few times - i fly these manually all the time, too. i was just looking for an automated way of doing it and seeing if anyone knew of another way or another app that would override the 17’ minimum height and radius DJI settings. i was looking to see if there was a way to manually set your homepoint lower than where you took off from.

Well I’ve done orbits where I start above the object. Then move my radius out. Start the orbit. Then grabbed the stick and lowered my altitude **** near the ground. I can’t change the orbit radius but I’ve changed the height. Go try this.

And honestly we’d all love this perfect automated machine so we can on with being creative. Truth is these prosumer drones are fairly dumb in that they have really strict parameters because their ain’t enough processing power AND AI to really understand nuance. When you hit that wall (figuratively), grab your sticks and fly!

Reactions: LSDMT
In Litchi create a waypoint mission by manually flying. You can define the C1 or C2 button to place a waypoint at the AC location. In these waypoints not only the location is stored but also the heading of the drone (camera) and the gimbal angle. Define this mission with curved turns and execute it.

Reactions: DJI_Stunt_Pilot
you need to flash firmware with custom flight parameters
the one you are interested in is called g_config.hotpoint_cfg.min_height_0, it's factory set to 5 meters

Have a look at this video and check out his channel.

I didn't know that DJI Assistant is for P4 too as I'm P3A and MPP pilot :)
then it's much more simple, no need for firmware repacking, LSDMT can change it by this way
It's slightly more complicated than just using DJ Assistant. You have to use a specific version of DJI Assistant, and you need to also already be on or learn how to downgrade to the correct older FW version to be able to modify any flight parameters. However, it is doable, if you are motivated, and willing to do everything necessary to make it happen, including investing the time to fully research all the steps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik