How accurate is the GPS when used in waypoint mode?

Thanks for the info. But does all "standard" GPS HW (like in the P3P or mobile devices) have the 2m accuracy? Is 2m the best case scenario in ideal conditions? I tend to calculate the worst case scenario risk (trees blocking satellites, hiccups in HW/SW etc).
1 - 2m seems to be a fairly constant error margin, at least from what I've seen. Of course there is always Sod's law to deal with.

Last edited:
John Decker, thanks, that sounds rather smart. Does the DJI Go also record height of waypoints? The road is from a hill down to the house.

Btw if you were working in Norway, you'd be rich! I got an offer from the real estate agent a few days ago, and they had drone photos (not video, still photos) on offer for around 230 dollars each!!!! They had no set price for a drone video, only "that's expensive"...
Not sure about the heights, but I used the Go app for precisely this recently and I don't remember heights coming into it.

Fwiw there is a guy here who charges $3000 for a video (I charge $500) and gets no work.

Last edited:
Murphy's usually my very good friend when I'm doing anything at all! ;) So I think I may strap the drone to the roof of the car and do the first part, which is the 50-60 m downhill drive down to the house as a pure gimbal job, and then fly up to do the rest with the necessary clearance. Oh, and 3000 sounds crazy! But 500 isn't bad for a video, if that was the price here and I only needed one video I may have gone for that, but I'm doing a series to get as much PR for the sale as possible. Oh, and I think Norway is even worse than your "competitor" with 230 for one still photo.

Murphy's usually my very good friend when I'm doing anything at all! ;) So I think I may strap the drone to the roof of the car and do the first part, which is the 50-60 m downhill drive down to the house as a pure gimbal job, and then fly up to do the rest with the necessary clearance. Oh, and 3000 sounds crazy! But 500 isn't bad for a video, if that was the price here and I only needed one video I may have gone for that, but I'm doing a series to get as much PR for the sale as possible. Oh, and I think Norway is even worse than your "competitor" with 230 for one still photo.
You might find the car to jerky - I tried hand-holding the drone and it came out very unsmooth. I would try the DJI way - because you're flying the course first the gps inaccuracies don't factor.
One of the most important things is the post-production software. I hope you have some good stuff. And don't forget to fly in log mode (?) to allow for the best p-p work. Also use raw for photos and use DJI's dng cleaner.

OK, thanks! It's worth a shot, with prop guards against the trees! :) For photos I use Photoshop. For videos I don't. No need, you should see the amateur drone videos that are used in the few instances that they actually have them here. Jerky, obviously flown by hand, crazy speed on the pans. As for DNG Cleaner I'll have to check out that, didn't know about it. Thanks!

OK, thanks! It's worth a shot, with prop guards against the trees! :) For photos I use Photoshop. For videos I don't. No need, you should see the amateur drone videos that are used in the few instances that they actually have them here. Jerky, obviously flown by hand, crazy speed on the pans. As for DNG Cleaner I'll have to check out that, didn't know about it. Thanks!
Watch the wind - people say the prop guards catch the wind and cause problems sometimes. I would fly without (and I've trimmed a few leaves without crashing). The dng cleaner is brilliant, small quick and effective. It's somewhere on the DJI page. Good luck.
And watch your height - keep plenty of air above and below you as that can change the fastest. I set a course using DJI waypoints and laterally it was fine but it hit the ground at the start (I had asked it to start about 50cm off the ground because of a certain effect I wanted. Bad idea)

Last edited:
I have had two small crashes that would have been avoided with guards. So I'm using them for now. Also it's so much easier to see which way I'm facing with big red and green prop gurads instead of just the lights, which aren't that visible in sunlight. Oh, and I don't really fly in wind. Not a problem here, my house is in a place that isn't very windy. At the cabin, where there are virtually nothing to crash into, I fly without them. And thanks for the tip about the height, I'll watch that!

I composed a mission on my Android phone using Litchi. The mission was to fly around the neighborhood at 36' down the middle of the road. This altitude was at or below most of the houses and trees, no room for error. I wanted to smoothly capture the Halloween spirit from the air, with smooth panning. The speed was 4MPH, just enough for me to walk below the craft and monitor its progress throughout the 11 minute and .4 mile trip.

Panning was done using way points.

It tracked perfectly down the middle as you can see from this video. You can best see the accuracy from 2:50 to 3:50 into the video. This section of the neighborhood was a slight up hill and you can see the craft dropped below the houses, this was where the most accuracy was needed. Litchi and the P3 did not fail me.

Here is the mission....download it, unzip it and open it with Litchi.

The 10 - 12 foot wide path should not be a problem as long as you are tracking many satellites.
This the best video I have ever seen. Excellent.

I wanted to smoothly capture the Halloween spirit from the air, with smooth panning]

Very nice!

An idea to the end next year: At the end fly near an open window. Then somebody hand-catches the AC (optionally the props are shut down here) and brings it through the window inside.

One problem with great footage is that it is difficult to make any cuts.

Very nice!

An idea to the end next year: At the end fly near an open window. Then somebody hand-catches the AC (optionally the props are shut down here) and brings it through the window inside.

That would be a good ending, but I don't live in that neighborhood.

Please note that I walked the proposed flight path early that morning. I wanted to note if anything was going to interfere with the flight, like power lines or banners across the roads. It also gave me this chance to locate the houses that were decorated for the occasion, so that I could configure the way point orientation correctly.

Finally got the video together (I had to do a bunch of stuff outside the house to make it look good first). I'm pretty satisfied with it, even if there are a few things to note, like Litchi for some reason going to far down with the gimbal and then up again when it first sets it sigths on the house. Or maybe it's the drone starting to move and then the gimbal has to compensate? Still, for a regular real estate video in Norway I can't complain. :D

Oh, I walked the route near the house at least ten times, adjusting and adjusting so I could get close without crashing. And I made it!

That is a VERY tough property to drone smoothly and you've done a great job. It's especially hard to do what you've done in one go, so kudos on that. My clients would complain that there is too much roof and not enough low level stuff but they don't realise just how risky it is to get down low. Good job.

Thank you very much for the nice words, and from a pro! :) Of course Litchi did the actual flying, but I worked a lot to fine tune the waypoints, and of course find the best route around. And yes, the topgraphy and trees makes low flying stuff difficult here. I was originally going to come down the road you see beside the garage, but it turned out that the autopilot couldn't do lower than five meters, so I had to make do with the "zooming in from the distance" version. I have also taken panoramas, I'm trying to find out (in another thread) how to show them in the best way. Not to mention that I'm taking all the room photos myself too. (Not drone related, but still...) Here's one of them that I'm pretty satisfied with:

Midtsoverom.jpg

The kitchen ain't half bad either (in my rather unexpert opinion):

Kjøkken 2 versjon 2.jpg

So all in all I hope to make the house appealing enough for people to want to come to the open house!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl