HOVER App

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've recently downloaded the I Phone App "Hover". Pretty neat really, but I'm not familiar with one of the parameters it displays. The KP Index. Several of the on-line tutorials I viewed prior to purchasing my P2 V+ V3
mentioned that flying under certain atmospheric conditions such as solar flares and geomagnetic anomalies were dangerous practice. Can someone explain what the KP index is and what would be the highest rating one should attempt to fly in.
Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

The Kp-index is the global geomagnetic storm index and is based on 3 hour measurements of the K-indices, for a given value, for each of the past days. The K-index itself is a three hour long quasi-logarithmic local index of the geomagnetic activity, relative to a calm day curve for the given location. The Kp-index measures the deviation of the most disturbed horizontal component of the magnetic field on fixed stations worldwide with their own local K-index. The global Kp-index is then determined with an algorithm that puts the averages of every station together. The result is the global Kp-index. The Kp-index ranges from 0 to 9 where a value of 0 means that there is very little geomagnetic activity and a value of 9 means extreme geomagnetic storming.

So basically it allows you to identify days you should NOT be flying due to a disturbance in the earths magnetic field.

Nice, I love the Hover app. We will be doing some partnerships with them in the near future. Hint: It might have something to do with our app :)

Thanks for the replies madfrenchie & Jacob. Given that 0 is worry free, and a 9 is Armageddon, is there a threshold that a conscientious informed person might not exceed when considering any given day/time for flying. Given the subject, I realize that there really is no concrete answer to my question, but what would be considered "good practice"?
Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.