houseboat roof takeoff-landing US National Park...?

While I don't doubt that this happened, according to the memorandum issued, approval is given as follows:

One of those exceptions, listed in paragraph 1(d) of the Policy Memorandum (see Conditions and Exceptions), allows for activities under a special use permit (SUP) that specifically authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and that is approved in writing by the Associate Director, Visitor and Resource Protection (ADVRP).

So the information can be given by the superintendent of the park but it must be obtained from the ADVRP directly.

So the superintendent themselves cannot give permission, they can only convey the permission given by the ADVRP. At least according to their own memorandum.

To:

Doubt or not it happened (several times) and it was done on the spot so apparently the superintendent on location has been given some form of allowances to approve such without involving anyone else on the totem pole.

While I don't doubt that this happened, according to the memorandum issued, approval is given as follows:

One of those exceptions, listed in paragraph 1(d) of the Policy Memorandum (see Conditions and Exceptions), allows for activities under a special use permit (SUP) that specifically authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and that is approved in writing by the Associate Director, Visitor and Resource Protection (ADVRP).

So the information can be given by the superintendent of the park but it must be obtained from the ADVRP directly.

So the superintendent themselves cannot give permission, they can only convey the permission given by the ADVRP. At least according to their own memorandum.

To:
Last year, I obtained the SUP (special use permit) from a regional park manager. There was a $500 USD fee to submit (yes, to merely submit - and this was by no means a granting of permission to fly) the completed form and they didn't buy my fastidious pitch on how great it would be for the state to let me film there! :) I walked in this case.

Doubt or not it happened (several times) and it was done on the spot so apparently the superintendent on location has been given some form of allowances to approve such without involving anyone else on the totem pole.
It is possible that the local ranger gave permission (which means you are in the clear) without having that authority. I just wanted to point out what the memorandum states.

Takeoff-landings inside US national park boundaries are prohibited
Guessing it don't matter if its from roof of 2-story houseboat on
lake within US national park? Or is it a loophole because me+drone
not touching ground? ???
(but then standing on picnic bench certainly isn't loophole...)

Related: if one takes off & lands at park border can one then
legally fly OVER national park or must one envision border
as invisible wall reach up to 400 ft? ???
(assume no disturbance of wildlife)

hobbyist license, P4P+, taking still photos
thanks in advance! :innocent::innocent::innocent:
While flying at 200 ft. near a farmer’s field taking photos and video of a hay field, I noticed a work crew working on the tracks. I never fly directly over people and I did not fly over the railroad tracks. Nevertheless, a railroad supervisor drove his truck up to me, parked and ask me what I was doing. I told him I was taking photos and video of the hay field and I showed him my iPad pro. He then said, “make sure you don’t fly over the right of way”. Question: how far above the tracks does the right of way reach? Fifty feet, one-hundred feet, two-hundred feet, one-thousand feet. Can a helicopter legally fly over railroad tracks? Must jet planes zig-zag around so that they don’t fly over the sacred right-of-way. I am being facetious of course, but the paranoia over a little flying machine with a camera on it is getting out of hand. I try hard to fly safe and not to impose myself on anyone who may be around me. I live in very rural area, so I rarely even run into people. If anyone walks up to me, I always show them my iPad and what I am taking a photo of at the moment. I know the railroad is very powerful, but they can’t own all the air space above them. I wish people would just relax. It’s just a camera, not a hellfire missile.

Attachments

• HayRR.jpg
    HayRR.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: MTO and JWH
While flying at 200 ft. near a farmer’s field taking photos and video of a hay field, I noticed a work crew working on the tracks. I never fly directly over people and I did not fly over the railroad tracks. Nevertheless, a railroad supervisor drove his truck up to me, parked and ask me what I was doing. I told him I was taking photos and video of the hay field and I showed him my iPad pro. He then said, “make sure you don’t fly over the right of way”. Question: how far above the tracks does the right of way reach? Fifty feet, one-hundred feet, two-hundred feet, one-thousand feet. Can a helicopter legally fly over railroad tracks? Must jet planes zig-zag around so that they don’t fly over the sacred right-of-way. I am being facetious of course, but the paranoia over a little flying machine with a camera on it is getting out of hand. I try hard to fly safe and not to impose myself on anyone who may be around me. I live in very rural area, so I rarely even run into people. If anyone walks up to me, I always show them my iPad and what I am taking a photo of at the moment. I know the railroad is very powerful, but they can’t own all the air space above them. I wish people would just relax. It’s just a camera, not a hellfire missile.

I think that the RR is used to not being "bucked" and so they do as they please. When dealing with Aviation they may have to re-think the whole process but until there is a big case that calls them to the carpet they will continue to flex their muscles.

Here's a thread well worth reading:

Jurisdiction: Railroad vs. FAA ... is this similar to National Parks

Reactions: JWH
I have a cabin by Yosemite national park and we are actually in Yosemite National Forrest. I am less than a mile from Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. I say all that to say we (my son and I) fly over all of it regularly. And the rangers are very aware of it. With that I will say be very respectful and avoid areas of people.

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj