Horizon FPV Antennas

duneview said:
Hi Will
Received my UAV 2.4 antennas today.. many thanks
Not sure I can fit them both. but will start with one.
I did a flight today.. got to 500m ( without your ant on the vision.. Vision was still good, but lost control.. with the old 5.8 ibcrazy helical.. Will have to wait another week or so for the dual ant that I ordered this morning from your site..
I suspect the U.fl cable is not good as I suspected better control range.. Hoping your dual version solves the problem.
On another point.. I am using a Dronexpert gimbal. and am not in a position to say its not my best investment. The whole frame is sagging.. the dampers have compressed, and the while unit shakes???.. not impressed.
Another issue is the IOS app.. My screen froze and lost all telemetry.. The bird did return home, but hope DJI update the app soon!!
I am also waiting for a delivery of a lens for the camera, and will check all wiring when I got the camera open.. not convinced the pigtail on the 5.8 point is good.
Lots to look forward to!!

hi there , loosing control at 500 meters , something is wrong there ,throw those crappy U.FL for decent ones, there are some crappy U.fl cables around so changing them out is a good idea, the dual antennas is 12 dB slightly longer but more manageable as it all contained in one antenna, the 2,4 GHz LHCP is Silver elements and the 5.8 inside is 24k Gold elements,the patch cable are hI quality silver plated, so putting crappy U.fl on the defeats all that if they are dummy loads !!. you must make sure all the signal path is perfection !!.
the shipments will be going out after the Bank Holiday, so hope you get them soon.

One other note is to take Full advantage of this antenna you really need SP x 2 on the RC control end ( see video mod) as you have then true LHCP and no mulitpath, it will work if you do not do this but not at peak performance that the phase rotation matching would give if you did.

Will

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
duneview said:
Hi Will
Received my UAV 2.4 antennas today.. many thanks
Not sure I can fit them both. but will start with one.
I did a flight today.. got to 500m ( without your ant on the vision.. Vision was still good, but lost control.. with the old 5.8 ibcrazy helical.. Will have to wait another week or so for the dual ant that I ordered this morning from your site..
I suspect the U.fl cable is not good as I suspected better control range.. Hoping your dual version solves the problem.
On another point.. I am using a Dronexpert gimbal. and am not in a position to say its not my best investment. The whole frame is sagging.. the dampers have compressed, and the while unit shakes???.. not impressed.
Another issue is the IOS app.. My screen froze and lost all telemetry.. The bird did return home, but hope DJI update the app soon!!
I am also waiting for a delivery of a lens for the camera, and will check all wiring when I got the camera open.. not convinced the pigtail on the 5.8 point is good.
Lots to look forward to!!

hi there , loosing control at 500 meters , something is wrong there ,throw those crappy U.FL for decent ones, there are some crappy U.fl cables around so changing them out is a good idea, the dual antennas is 12 dB slightly longer but more manageable as it all contained in one antenna, the 2,4 GHz LHCP is Silver elements and the 5.8 inside is 24k Gold elements,the patch cable are hI quality silver plated, so putting crappy U.fl on the defeats all that if they are dummy loads !!. you must make sure all the signal path is perfection !!.
the shipments will be going out after the Bank Holiday, so hope you get them soon.

One other note is to take Full advantage of this antenna you really need SP x 2 on the RC control end ( see video mod) as you have then true LHCP and no mulitpath, it will work if you do not do this but not at peak performance that the phase rotation matching would give if you did.

Will

Thanks will.
I will swap out the Ufl pigtail in the control end and see if that helps. Now that I have the 2 x 2.4 antennas for the phantom, it leaves little space to mount the 5.8 antennas due to the gimbal, but Ill try figure something out.
Question.. what range could I expect ( control range ) without modding the phantom, but using the dual ant on order?
At the moment, its hard to test the setup completely, as the app issue ends the flight early. The screen freezes a few min into the flight. I believe this is a common problem wight the IOS app.

Yes, it should be common for ios 1.037?
Having same.
Did You reboot bird to get back online? I discovered, that on my old iPhone 4 I have 1.032, tryinf with that. But last attempt I used MyScreenRecorder and it freezed around 1 km away, then closed, and I started it up again, P2V was hanging all this time in GPS mode somewhere.

Waiting still response from Horizonantennas, but seems they are busy or something else is happened, maybe my email is not gone through.

Droneexpert gimbal, - Do You discussing these issues in another thread, too? I am getting mine in two days, there are not room for antennas? Or case must be modded to accommodate antennas outside landing skid?
Also interested, if 2,4 GHZ antannas are on UAV, how these cables working with gimbal motors, the camera is not hanging too freely anymore...at other hand, there are others cables intact anyway, so should be okay...

Propabli Horizon not answering yet and gimbal is there soon I will not order anything yet.

Hi gpuak

Sure ,

My flat located near from university of aberdeen

I will be in next Aug in aberdeen and I prenk the phantom with me

I hope i will not face any problems in aberdeen airport

714Aberdeen said:
Hi gpuak

Sure ,

You shouldnt have any problem at Dyce airport but you may have a problem at the airport you leave from? Not sure what the rules are for carrying batteries on an aircraft.
Have you seen my video at Aberdeen beach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqFo6l48HI

Dillinger said:
Having same.
Did You reboot bird to get back online? I discovered, that on my old iPhone 4 I have 1.032, tryinf with that. But last attempt I used MyScreenRecorder and it freezed around 1 km away, then closed, and I started it up again, P2V was hanging all this time in GPS mode somewhere.

Waiting still response from Horizonantennas, but seems they are busy or something else is happened, maybe my email is not gone through.

Droneexpert gimbal, - Do You discussing these issues in another thread, too? I am getting mine in two days, there are not room for antennas? Or case must be modded to accommodate antennas outside landing skid?
Also interested, if 2,4 GHZ antannas are on UAV, how these cables working with gimbal motors, the camera is not hanging too freely anymore...at other hand, there are others cables intact anyway, so should be okay...

Propabli Horizon not answering yet and gimbal is there soon I will not order anything yet.

Will from Horizon will reply soon..(remember I think its a bank long weekend ??.. I think!!) ..... he normally does!!
I can mount the 2 x 2.4 ghz antennas.. adding 2 x 5.8 antennas might be difficult. To be honest, The gimbal now jumps uncontrollably. I have tried moving the ant cables in all directions, still not sure if thats the cause. All in all not wildly happy wight the dronexpert.. Im waiting for DJI to bring out a dedicated plug and play system..

Dillinger said:
Having same.

hi there , not sure what the question was as to ' not answering ' we always reply promptly to all emails.
if you have a question , I'm listening ,.....

Will

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
we always reply promptly to all emails.
if you have a question ..

Will

I can attest to that. Don't think I have waited more than 2 hours for a reply from Will even on the weekends. First class customer service.

Thanks guys , we hope to keep the standards high , and develop better products for the hobby.

in case you guy don't know there is a promotion active on the store where new customers get 10 % and existing customer ( not forgetting you guys who support us ) will get a whopping 20% , so if your looking for that upgrade or addition to your kit now is the time to get in there , All thanks to Simon Newton celebrating his 1,000th subscribers to his channel.

We will be doing a few new video as customer are asking how to assemble these kits , we make it easy but a video will show you how it goes together. Most users will find the pilot MOD end is sufficient to extend the range , and since the P2V + using the same RC control and wifi the antennas will also work with the latest P2V + with no worries.

The dual band pilot kit is about the best and most compact system for the Phantom, specially designed for the phantom. with its compactness , weight and performance all in one antenna, and very cost affective.

take care guys and watch the battery levels with these kits !!!

Will

I just did the pilot end on my Vision with a 2.4 Blackhawk and a 2.4 SP. I didn't bother modding the RC 5.8 and I was getting about 800 mtrs, which was fine for me.

Now I've got the Vision Plus , I'm getting about another 500 mtrs extra with the same antennas which is good ! Looks like I might have to get one of those dual band antennas. Well done Horizon !

BTW anybody thinking of upgrading to the Vision Plus. Here's some of my first video flying in wind of 20mph +, that gimbal is **** good !

http://vimeo.com/94371565

Geert said:
Very happy with my BH antenna from Horizon.

Today I had my new personal record.
I think I can easily go to 4 km, but I am not sure my battery will have enough juice to bring to bird back
:lol:
I had strong wind on the way back today, I just made it, landed at 16% battery left.
A bit scary .

Geert.

excellent waiting you to broke my distance range

Attachments

• 4009m.PNG
    4009m.PNG
    279.5 KB · Views: 318
2trickpony said:
714Aberdeen said:
Hi gpuak

Sure ,

You shouldnt have any problem at Dyce airport but you may have a problem at the airport you leave from? Not sure what the rules are for carrying batteries on an aircraft.
Have you seen my video at Aberdeen beach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqFo6l48HI

thank you for your reply
what amazing video
and wonderfull video
I know this place is aberdeen Beach,esplande,Leisure Beach Center.

what is your setup ??

thank you

Mossie said:
I just did the pilot end on my Vision with a 2.4 Blackhawk and a 2.4 SP. I didn't bother modding the RC 5.8 and I was getting about 800 mtrs, which was fine for me.

Now I've got the Vision Plus , I'm getting about another 500 mtrs extra with the same antennas which is good ! Looks like I might have to get one of those dual band antennas. Well done Horizon !

BTW anybody thinking of upgrading to the Vision Plus. Here's some of my first video flying in wind of 20mph +, that gimbal is **** good !

very good and wonderful views

Mossie said:

Hi there , yes that camera gimbal on the plus is stunning , considering the wind in the video its doing a great job,

With the PHANTOM + the power levels are higher so when using the horizon antenna they will just make it go further still !!
since you have more RF power on the Plus the antenna size can actually come down in size for the same EIRP ( effective radiated power ) the dual antenna is then ideal here , light and compact , a perfect marriage of the two together,
the UAV can be left alone .

We could go the other way and pump the gain up further ,If you put an Extreme set ( 2x 12 dB on 2.4 1 x 12 dB on 5.8 ) on the pilot end the range would be plain silly !

Will

Hi Will

Received my new dual antenna yesterday.. can't wait to swap all the old pigtails and fit the new antenna

Will keep you informed

duneview said:
Hi Will

Received my new dual antenna yesterday.. can't wait to swap all the old pigtails and fit the new antenna

Will keep you informed

Thanks, we have a Phantom vision plus on the way and will use it with that for sure.
the new Dual Phantom antenna has been updated to 12 dB with Silver elements on 2.4 GHz and Gold elements on 5.8 GHz
the dual patch cables supplied with the antenna are hi quality silver and gold plated.

This antenna can also be used as a single antenna on 2.4 or 5.8 as normal or in dual mode with the Phantom.

Will

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT