Home Lock Config HELP!

Reaction score
Hi guys, today my FC40 arrived and I'm very happy. I just have one question, and its about the homelike config. I've seen several videos on youtube explaining how this works, but I don't know if you have to config that in the NAZA-M assistant software or it comes ready to fly and you just have to pull the left knob all the way down to bring hit "home". I would really appreciate help. Thanks! :D

You have to switch on IOC in Naza M .. While in there make sure the switch toggles all 3 options ..
Once that's done you just have to fly AFTER the compass dance ....

If I can add also. As Mandrake said, "...AFTER the compass dance." That is a very crucial step NOT to neglect. Otherwise, you're apt to suffer a loss of the Phantom or a crash.

I prefer to do my compass calibration in this way.
First keep your cellphone at least 10 ft away. For some reason, (which I've never had an issue with) but, it's being said they can seriously interfere with the sensitive compass causing a bad calibration. That said, I leave mine at least 10 feet away attached to the transmitter. Another issue is ferrous material such as the steel lattice grid sometimes found when they pour in a cement or asphalt parking lot. I've found this issue a few times and just moved to a different spot and all was good. I also make a good effort to keep the Phantom away from my vehicle's speakers when transporting. They give off a magnetic field that can disrupt the compass enough so you have a difficult time calibrating it.

Next, before I even start, I make sure I've got the Phantom "NOSE" pointed NORTH. Why? Because I've had issues with a swirling effect (like watching water go down a toilet bowl when the Phantom hovered). This wasn't severe but not a desired hover even at higher altitudes. Since I started pointing her NOSE North at the start, it seemed to stop the issue and it hovers nicely now.

The horizontal turn should be at least held at arms length. It's NOT important whether you slowly turn counter or clockwise.

For the Vertical turn do the same as for the Horizontal only this time holding the Phantom with the light facing you and the NOSE downward.
Once done, you should have a perfect compass calibration.

Hope this helps. And have fun and safe flying.

Why does all of this feel like deja vu'? Does anyone who comes on this site for the first time even bother to search for these constantly repetitive threads? Take a minute, search around. These questions have been asked au nauseum for months! Besides READ THE MANUAL and there is an excellent, very well written 'summary' guide that has been posted here. Take a minute and search for it.

You weren't afraid of interference from those power lines? From watching everyone's videos on the forums, I'm beginning to think I'm the only person afraid of flying near power lines and cell towers, etc.

djsydvicious said:
You weren't afraid of interference from those power lines? From watching everyone's videos on the forums, I'm beginning to think I'm the only person afraid of flying near power lines and cell towers, etc.

The way he was flying I'd have been more afraid of tangling the craft in those lines. Those power lines shown in his vid are phone and electrical. But the electrical lines don't give off nearly as much RF interference as those high tension power lines using those huge towers. Now those give off plenty of RF interference. I've got some near a park I flew in and got brave one day to fly close to them. Then decided better not with kids running around not far below. Wouldn't want to spoil a prefect day for either of us.

He also should slow down his decent! In that vid he brings that thing down way too fast! You can see as it starts wobbling. One of these days, it's going to get caught up in it's vortex and after a loss of control he'll just watch helplessly as it crashes to the ground.

Lonewolf said:
djsydvicious said:

The way he was flying I'd have been more afraid of tangling the craft in those lines. Those power lines shown in his vid are phone and electrical. But the electrical lines don't give off nearly as much RF interference as those high tension power lines using those huge towers. Now those give off plenty of RF interference. I've got some near a park I flew in and got brave one day to fly close to them. Then decided better not with kids running around not far below. Wouldn't want to spoil a prefect day for either of us.

He also should slow down his decent! In that vid he brings that thing down way too fast! You can see as it starts wobbling. One of these days, it's going to get caught up in it's vortex and after a loss of control he'll just watch helplessly as it crashes to the ground.
That's good to know about the electric and phone lines in residential areas. I've been avoiding those at the expense of missing shots in those areas. Now I know they are not off limits. Now the lines on those towers I will definitely avoid.

Prylar Bek said:
Why does all of this feel like deja vu'? Does anyone who comes on this site for the first time even bother to search for these constantly repetitive threads? Take a minute, search around. These questions have been asked au nauseum for months! Besides READ THE MANUAL and there is an excellent, very well written 'summary' guide that has been posted here. Take a minute and search for it.

English is not my native language and I`m having a little trouble reading the manual. I did a lot of research before buying the phantom even though I downloaded the 2 PDF files and read them, but its just a little confusing for me. The home lock worked perfectly!

English is not my native language and I`m having a little trouble reading the manual. I did a lot of research before buying the phantom even though I downloaded the 2 PDF files and read them, but its just a little confusing for me. The home lock worked perfectly!

I'm not sure if you're referring to HOME LOCK or RETURN TO HOME also referred to as, "FAILSAFE?" Huge difference. In NASAM IOC the HOME LOCK feature is invaluable when your Phantom is far and you lose orientation on which way it's facing. If you move the S2 switch to the HOME LOCK position while in flight, and pull back on the right stick, it will come slowly back to you. Regardless of which way it's looking. (But, you have to engage that feature in your NASAM FIRST)!

RETURN TO HOME is completely different. Better known as "FAILSAFE. "When you engage FAILSAFE either by switching off the transmitter or, by flipping down the S1 switch (again, provided you have engaged that feature as well as the button RETURN TO HOME AND LAND in the NASAM settings.) The Phantom will return to home and land by itself. However, if it doesn't have good GPS satellite connections, it will NOT!

Additionally, the way you have the antenna set on your transmitter you'll probably activate the FAILSAFE feature on it's own because your craft will lose connection with the transmitter. You've got the antenna pointed directly at the Phantom. NOT A GOOD SETUP! That way the it can easily lose connection pointing directly at it. Move the antenna straight up and down or side to side so as to give off a better signal.

Prylar Bek said:

Perhaps Phantom Pilots could improve the search feature to help here?

I wanted to find out about the range of Wifi for a GoPro (real world vs their website).

I searched for "GoPro range" and was denied because the terms were too common. I then tried "GoPro wifi range" and got a huge number of posts with the words "wifi" or "Range" but nothing else. Even trying +gopro +wifi +range doesn't produce anything better. Any one of those words will cause a post to be returned when I want all three.

Basically the search isn't particularly helpful, which is probably why people just ask questions over and over again.

Prylar Bek said:
It took you as much time to post this as it would have to answer the question ...
Why bother - If you have nothing constructive to add don't post ...
Some people need help not this rubbish ...

Sorry dude, its not rubbish Its people being lazy. There are dozens of threads and hundreds of responses to the same basic question. And to blame the sites search engine is absurd. I have no problem searching for threads!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl