Hobby Store Snobbery

K

Kubelwagen

There's a hobby store in my area that apparently must stay in business simply because it's the only one in town. Needed some screws and decided to see what they had. First thing I see when driving into the busy parking lot (it's in a strip mall) is either an employee or son or friend of the owner in front of the store flying a 2'-long electric fixed wing over the people and cars. Later they were running a model car in the area where cars were driving in and out off the access road. One truck had to stop to avoid the model.

After walking in I was reminded why I never go there. The owner sneers at you - like you walking into his store imposes on him somehow, or like he's doing you a favor by being open for business. Truthfully, the store is very well stocked. Still, the parts I really needed ended up being ordered on Ebay from China, the only source for what I was looking for.

Did buy a bag of screws and while checking out, one of the enthusiastic employees was telling a prospective customer his political and personal views regarding a Horizon Chroma multi-copter the customer was looking at. The customer was a middle-aged woman so the employee apparently felt the need to educate her on all "drone" issues. Without getting into details, he basically made it sound like most people who operated them are idiots and if you didn't operate one the way he believed was correct, then you would be an idiot too. This coming from an employee who was letting someone fly a fixed wing over the parking lot in front of their store.

Two other employees, or sons or relatives, were behind the counter. I commented that the Chroma looked like another Phantom clone. They immediately quipped that the Chroma was much better and that the Phantom's were old news. They added that the Chroma was as good as the Inspire and the camera alone cost $600. I commented that I got both of my Phantoms total for that much and that they were great flying aerial camera platforms. They didn't say anything but gave me a "so what" look. Then when I asked where the zip-ties were, one of the employees said they didn't carry any and that zip-ties were only good for holding together his crappy Mazda. Nice.

Not to promote, but recently I purchase a grand worth of parts from RMRC for a long-range fixed-wing project and will be ordering more to finish it up. Over the months I posed several questions through their support email and have received nothing but positive, honest and helpful responses. I know there are other companies that also genuinely like to help their customers and these types of companies are the ones that get my continued support.

There's a popular and friendly hobby store I used to frequent in another city but it's a 2-hour drive round trip. Most of my hobby shopping is done online now because frankly you get more selection, better pricing and it's convenient. As a lifelong business entrepreneur and multi-business owner, I do everything I can to support local business, but only when the business has a clue and deserves that support. In my opinion, any company that doesn't actively work to earn a customer's respect and loyalty certainly doesn't deserve to be in business. And the older I get, the more I realize that life is too short to deal with people who just don't get it.

Reactions: nickyb
There's a hobby store in my area that apparently must stay in business simply because it's the only one in town. Needed some screws and decided to see what they had. First thing I see when driving into the busy parking lot (it's in a strip mall) is either an employee or son or friend of the owner in front of the store flying a 2'-long electric fixed wing over the people and cars. Later they were running a model car in the area where cars were driving in and out off the access road. One truck had to stop to avoid the model.

After walking in I was reminded why I never go there. The owner sneers at you - like you walking into his store imposes on him somehow, or like he's doing you a favor by being open for business. Truthfully, the store is very well stocked. Still, the parts I really needed ended up being ordered on Ebay from China, the only source for what I was looking for.

Did buy a bag of screws and while checking out, one of the enthusiastic employees was telling a prospective customer his political and personal views regarding a Horizon Chroma multi-copter the customer was looking at. The customer was a middle-aged woman so the employee apparently felt the need to educate her on all "drone" issues. Without getting into details, he basically made it sound like most people who operated them are idiots and if you didn't operate one the way he believed was correct, then you would be an idiot too. This coming from an employee who was letting someone fly a fixed wing over the parking lot in front of their store.

Two other employees, or sons or relatives, were behind the counter. I commented that the Chroma looked like another Phantom clone. They immediately quipped that the Chroma was much better and that the Phantom's were old news. They added that the Chroma was as good as the Inspire and the camera alone cost $600. I commented that I got both of my Phantoms total for that much and that they were great flying aerial camera platforms. They didn't say anything but gave me a "so what" look. Then when I asked where the zip-ties were, one of the employees said they didn't carry any and that zip-ties were only good for holding together his crappy Mazda. Nice.

Not to promote, but recently I purchase a grand worth of parts from RMRC for a long-range fixed-wing project and will be ordering more to finish it up. Over the months I posed several questions through their support email and have received nothing but positive, honest and helpful responses. I know there are other companies that also genuinely like to help their customers and these types of companies are the ones that get my continued support.

There's a popular and friendly hobby store I used to frequent in another city but it's a 2-hour drive round trip. Most of my hobby shopping is done online now because frankly you get more selection, better pricing and it's convenient. As a lifelong business entrepreneur and multi-business owner, I do everything I can to support local business, but only when the business has a clue and deserves that support. In my opinion, any company that doesn't actively work to earn a customer's respect and loyalty certainly doesn't deserve to be in business. And the older I get, the more I realize that life is too short to deal with people who just don't get it.

I am relatively new to this hobby so maybe my opinion doesn't count a whole lot, but it seems like there is an "old guard" so to speak of the RC world that doesn't like new comers or people who don't do it their way. I went to 1 flying club meeting in my area and they basically treated me as a second rate citizen because I have a Phantom and I didn't build my own. This forums has been amazing so far but even some of that attitude pops up here unfortunately.

My two big hobbies are flying RC stuff now and bowling, both I'm relatively new to. The bowling industry is the same way, snobby and opinionated. Not sure if it's because they are both niche things or what. Overall, I say do what you love and order from somewhere in China, the free market always wins and if thy are that bad they won't last.

Reactions: kphantom
Ordering from China was only because that's where the parts are that I need. Had they been listed as available in the US for close to the same price then I would have ordered them from here. But the truth is a lot of stuff we use simply isn't made here so it is what it is. I just ordered a couple grand worth of 433 MHz antennas and will be reselling them on Ebay because no one is selling them here.

I am not new to the hobby and was big into fixed wing stuff about 20 years ago. Frankly it got kind of boring just watching the models fly around until multi-rotors, teeny HD cameras and long-range control systems got me interested again. I'm a film producer among other things and was formerly a broadcast and production engineer so the videographer thing fits the current hobby.

There will always be a "good ol' boys" club regardless what you do or where you go. But there are also a lot of really nice people in the hobby and those who enjoy helping others. I'm one of those guys but frankly don't enjoy flying in clubs. I do video and long-range fixed wing stuff and my family gets involved more than anyone else.

Just do what you enjoy doing whether in a group or on your own stage. It's a great and vast hobby. You'll eventually gravitate toward the people who share your interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am relatively new to this hobby so maybe my opinion doesn't count a whole lot, but it seems like there is an "old guard" so to speak of the RC world that doesn't like new comers or people who don't do it their way. I went to 1 flying club meeting in my area and they basically treated me as a second rate citizen because I have a Phantom and I didn't build my own. This forums has been amazing so far but even some of that attitude pops up here unfortunately.

My two big hobbies are flying RC stuff now and bowling, both I'm relatively new to. The bowling industry is the same way, snobby and opinionated. Not sure if it's because they are both niche things or what. Overall, I say do what you love and order from somewhere in China, the free market always wins and if thy are that bad they won't last.

Should have built your own bowling ball... lol... just kidding...

I see that in photography as well. I think I'm a pretty darn good sports photographer, but when I go too a place I've never been before to shoot, I always get the nasty looks from the other media-types. I just do my job and leave. On the flip side, if I'm at a venue I normally shoot at, and I see someone new, I sometimes go out of my way to help them. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, and I'm not afraid if someone shoots better than me, but I hate to see someone struggle.

That's just me....

Reactions: Clipper707
Should have built your own bowling ball... lol... just kidding...

I see that in photography as well. I think I'm a pretty darn good sports photographer, but when I go too a place I've never been before to shoot, I always get the nasty looks from the other media-types. I just do my job and leave. On the flip side, if I'm at a venue I normally shoot at, and I see someone new, I sometimes go out of my way to help them. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, and I'm not afraid if someone shoots better than me, but I hate to see someone struggle.

That's just me....

Your a good man...LoL. Naw...I'm the same way to. Because if I was the one struggling, I would appreciate the help from a seasoned guy.

Reactions: Buckwheeat
Do unto others I guess...

yeah exactly....just like when your in traffic and someone needs to get into your lane, I'm the guy that lets them in. Because if that was me, I'd want someeone to let me in to. I dunno if this scenario would be the same...LOL.

yeah exactly....just like when your in traffic and someone needs to get into your lane, I'm the guy that lets them in. Because if that was me, I'd want someeone to let me in to. I dunno if this scenario would be the same...LOL.

Probably... I'm the same... what's the point of being a dickhead?? never can figure that out...

Reactions: Buckwheeat
Probably... I'm the same... what's the point of being a dickhead?? never can figure that out...

Seriously!! I was stuck in traffic going over the Bay Bridge (San Francisco) this one time and this lady was signaling to get in. The several cars in front of me were being douches. I let the lady in. When we got to the toll booth, she paid for my toll to. I just remember that making my day that day. I try not to be a **** to other people on the road because you never know who you might run into nowadays.

I visited a local hobby shop looking for prop balancer for my Phantom. By the time I left, I did not care for the owner/employee I spoke with. He belittled the fact I owned a Phantom, and told me for the money, he carried a quadcopter that was just as good, but wasn't on the FAA's radar. I won't be returning to do any business with him.
He was a fixed wing flyer, and didn't understand the draw to a drone. He said the only thing it was good for was spying on people.

I visited my local hobbyshop to look for parts for my Phantom and just to ask if I ever had any issues that I couldn't figure out, if I could bring it in and they would be able to take a look at it for me. First they said they don't carry parts for the phantom and that they no longer work on Phantoms. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck to buying online, which is fine and cheaper anyway. I just thought if I needed something with the quickness I could turn to them. I was into RC Trucks about 6 years ago and they had everything if I needed a quick part. What is it about Phantoms anyway? Or are these Hobbyshops just against DJI?

I have the same feeling about my bike. I admit, I bought my bike at Target. Its a nice mountain bike, a Schwinn. I guess in the bike world my bike is referred to as a "Big Box Bike" because it was sold by a brick and mortar store. I took it to a local bike shop for a spring tune up and he talked to me like I made the biggest mistake in the world by buying my bike at Target. Totally annoyed me!!

Last edited:
I visited a local hobby shop looking for prop balancer for my Phantom. By the time I left, I did not care for the owner/employee I spoke with. He belittled the fact I owned a Phantom, and told me for the money, he carried a quadcopter that was just as good, but wasn't on the FAA's radar. I won't be returning to do any business with him.
He was a fixed wing flyer, and didn't understand the draw to a drone. He said the only thing it was good for was spying on people.

So....he's basically saying you can get away with breaking the rules with his.

Same GIMMICK,
Here in Sarasota as well, when I first went there, I was almost ignored, finally had to ask for help, same schmeal, why did I buy DJI? Whatever, now I've been going there for a bit, they seem to know me and treat me better? Guess I earned their respect? Some days are better than others!

J dot

Is DJI like the top dog in quads? Are they like the Mercedes/BMW's of the drone world? I mean when I my research before I got into the hobby, yeah there were cheap ones outthere then the priced went up as you looked at DJI's.

So....he's basically saying you can get away with breaking the rules with his.
I would agree with that. I asked what he meant by under the radar? Basically, the flight software does not limit your ability to fly in a no flyzone.

I don't know about top dog, or not,
But I think my situation is same as stated before, most locals here are older fixed winged flyers, mostly homemade, or built crafts, as these guy/gals are old school, and that is great, so a lot of them transferred over to the quad era, early in the game with custom built crafts, and we're proud of them ( time/effort/ect ) then the phantom comes out, all in one kit ready to fly, and they figure it is a cheap way out, kinda like a store bought cowboy, looks like a cowboy, but not a REAL cowboy! But as these phantoms are getting better, I'm seeing more of them going with the 3's and less with the platforms like ( 550, s1000, ect ) just my opinion, but I believe they think we have not EARNED our right to invade their airspace! Not enough flight hours, or fabrication, or experience! But they have to remember, they too, were newbies once, as well! We gotta start somewhere!

J Dot

I would agree with that. I asked what he meant by under the radar? Basically, the flight software does not limit your ability to fly in a no flyzone.

For a store owner to not even think about the legal matters but instead basically condone doing what you want with your drone........total irresponsibility. So if you were to get in trouble and then you say but the store owner said it was okay...he can say...he didn't say anything.

i have flown free flight models most of my life.
i joined a rc club in my area one day i was flying my ff and a couple of the other members came up to me and started talking and asking questions.
than one said.
this is an rc club.
than i came back with .
i thought this was a modelairplane club.
he just turned around and walked away.
LOL

Good one Derby,
I hate that SOME people are like that, instead of using your hobby, as a common ground, to break the ice, and talk to or meet a new friend, THEY, use it against you, because you chose to break their ELITE tradition, and be slightly different, that stinks! But glad you socked it to them!
I will say, all and all, I've had a great experience so far, 1 jack wad, but most seem TRUELY interested and amazed by my bird, but I use common decency , if I fly around a crowd ( ie beach, event, ect ) I walk around and talk to the people, let them know I'm going to fly, why I'm flying, and if they are cool with that?
Most are very cool, few are a bit weary, but once up, and they see the FPV, and see it had GPS and can hover in one spot, I get a lot of wows, and ooooh ahhhs! Even claps once!
I love it, but I love people, and talk to EVERYONE! Plus my neighbors are great!

I'd give my experience a 9.9 out of 10!:cool:

J Dot

There certainly can be “snobbery” in this biz. I see it at the local club flying field. Most of the folks accept Quads/MR’s and appreciate the stimulation in membership/participation of RC flying created by folks like myself joining ranks.

But there’s always someone who thinks quads/MR’s should be banned from the flying area.

When I bought my used P1 earlier this year I had no interest in RC flying but I joined AMA and local club and started paying attention to FW (fixed-wing).

Lo & behold, I caught the bug and now fly a nice little Parkzone T-28 when I get bored with the P1.

Some folks just can’t accept and/or tolerate different people and ways of doing things. Sooner you recognize it the better. Life’s simply too short to bother with such dickheads.

Reactions: J Dot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl