Hobby Store Snobbery

Some folks just can’t accept and/or tolerate different people and ways of doing things. Sooner you recognize it the better. Life’s simply too short to bother with such dickheads.

Amen, brother...

Reactions: J Dot and Ti22
A few years ago when my youngest son was just getting into lighter-weight mountain/road bikes, I helped him buy a really nice, light-weight Schwinn from a private party. It needed something I can't recall what so we took it to a local bike shop and while there showed it to the store owner. The first thing he did was huff and say, "This is some kind of weird Frankenstein." Made my son feel really good about his new bike. Guess where we never went again and which store I won't recommend to anyone?

And on a lighter note, I've been flying my P2 a lot the past days and have been amazed at how great the video is, especially after installing a Polar Pro polarizing filter. Camera is a 3+ Black set at 1080 30fps and medium FOV. Bought a distortion-free 2.97mm lens that will be interesting to try. Tried some ND filters as well but the polarizer seems to work the best overall unless it's super bright. If anybody else tries a polarizing lens just remember it has to be rotated to the proper angle to work correctly. I used my computer monitor to adjust it. The image on the screen will disappear when it's oriented correctly (GoPro being horizontal, of course). Helps reduce or even eliminate the jello effect as well by changing the shutter speed of the GoPro. But that's another thread. Still need to build a sunshade for the lens, too.

And speaking of clubs, we have our own right here. No snobs allowed.

P2_Black_rs30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: J Dot
Seriously!! I was stuck in traffic going over the Bay Bridge (San Francisco) this one time and this lady was signaling to get in. The several cars in front of me were being douches. I let the lady in. When we got to the toll booth, she paid for my toll to. I just remember that making my day that day. I try not to be a **** to other people on the road because you never know who you might run into nowadays.
It's a small world out there. They could be your prospective employer at the interview you were driving to, or at your next business appointment, or in your foursome at your golf tee time! Be kind! It's good karma!:D On the other hand, there are plenty of crazy people driving around out there who would kill you over cutting them off. I once sat in on a court case, where the defendant had shot and killed the victim, only because he didn't yield the right of way to him in the isle of a city transit bus! That was his only defense! Be careful out there!:eek:

Last edited:
There's a hobby store in my area that apparently must stay in business simply because it's the only one in town. Needed some screws and decided to see what they had. First thing I see when driving into the busy parking lot (it's in a strip mall) is either an employee or son or friend of the owner in front of the store flying a 2'-long electric fixed wing over the people and cars. Later they were running a model car in the area where cars were driving in and out off the access road. One truck had to stop to avoid the model.

After walking in I was reminded why I never go there. The owner sneers at you - like you walking into his store imposes on him somehow, or like he's doing you a favor by being open for business. Truthfully, the store is very well stocked. Still, the parts I really needed ended up being ordered on Ebay from China, the only source for what I was looking for.

Did buy a bag of screws and while checking out, one of the enthusiastic employees was telling a prospective customer his political and personal views regarding a Horizon Chroma multi-copter the customer was looking at. The customer was a middle-aged woman so the employee apparently felt the need to educate her on all "drone" issues. Without getting into details, he basically made it sound like most people who operated them are idiots and if you didn't operate one the way he believed was correct, then you would be an idiot too. This coming from an employee who was letting someone fly a fixed wing over the parking lot in front of their store.

Two other employees, or sons or relatives, were behind the counter. I commented that the Chroma looked like another Phantom clone. They immediately quipped that the Chroma was much better and that the Phantom's were old news. They added that the Chroma was as good as the Inspire and the camera alone cost $600. I commented that I got both of my Phantoms total for that much and that they were great flying aerial camera platforms. They didn't say anything but gave me a "so what" look. Then when I asked where the zip-ties were, one of the employees said they didn't carry any and that zip-ties were only good for holding together his crappy Mazda. Nice.

Not to promote, but recently I purchase a grand worth of parts from RMRC for a long-range fixed-wing project and will be ordering more to finish it up. Over the months I posed several questions through their support email and have received nothing but positive, honest and helpful responses. I know there are other companies that also genuinely like to help their customers and these types of companies are the ones that get my continued support.

There's a popular and friendly hobby store I used to frequent in another city but it's a 2-hour drive round trip. Most of my hobby shopping is done online now because frankly you get more selection, better pricing and it's convenient. As a lifelong business entrepreneur and multi-business owner, I do everything I can to support local business, but only when the business has a clue and deserves that support. In my opinion, any company that doesn't actively work to earn a customer's respect and loyalty certainly doesn't deserve to be in business. And the older I get, the more I realize that life is too short to deal with people who just don't get it.
Sounds like the local RC store in my city. I'm all for supporting local, but at the same time, I'm glad the internet exists.

Luckily for me here in Rhode Island, we have a brick & mortar store that specialized in DJI, and they advertise their repair service too, so I'm going to try to get down there for a visit to see what they offer... I bet I don't get weird looks when I walk in there! lol...

Luckily for me here in Rhode Island, we have a brick & mortar store that specialized in DJI, and they advertise their repair service too, so I'm going to try to get down there for a visit to see what they offer... I bet I don't get weird looks when I walk in there! lol...
We have one locally as well! Nice to be able just swing by and pick up whatever you need, and have someone who appreciates your business, and will help with any issues.

We have one locally as well! Nice to be able just swing by and pick up whatever you need, and have someone who appreciates your business, and will help with any issues.

Yea, no kidding... especially with DJI products. Even though I have only a P2, I don't want to trust it to just anybody.

They are called Cloud City Drones, their website: Cloud City Drones

Yea, no kidding... especially with DJI products. Even though I have only a P2, I don't want to trust it to just anybody.

They are called Cloud City Drones, their website: Cloud City Drones
It was tough, though, when the P3P first came out, and no spare parts existed for repairs anywhere, as all supplies were diverted to overwhelming sales far beyond expectations! Even the bundled extra battery order P3P sales had the delivery of the second battery backordered by several weeks or more, after receipt of the P3P!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20