High Wind Warning

Reaction score
I've gotten a couple of "High Wind Warnings" lately on jobs that occurred at 200' AGL while the wind was only around 10-15 mph on the ground. Can anyone tell me what wind speed triggers that warning? Thanks.

Yeh I get some aswell,some are real and some confused drone decision lol,depending on surrounding some winds can be about at this height ,,almost like birds taking off in the wind,,,feet or landing gear up and they gone,I do expect prompts in windy conditions like it should but I ignore others

Wind most always is stronger the higher up you go. Wind turbines aren't low to the ground. As a kid, flying a kite was hard to get off the ground, but once it got up there, no problem. 15 miles an hour sets off my wind warring.

This morning I also got a high wind warning while it was beaufort 1 and fog was hanging everywhere.. High wind also makes the fog go away, so I really think it was an error..

Reactions: Phoenix One
Hi, I can't answer the specific question about the wind speed that triggers the high wind speeds warning. However, I do heed these warnings when they occur just because I know that winds speeds usually increase the higher above ground level you fly.

Earlier this year I had a sobering experience when I was flying a Litchi mission flying a large orbit around an old mansion house. All was proceeding as planned, the drone was at 65M AGL when suddenly as I watched the monitor it appeared to come to a violent shuddering halt and my first thought was that I had hit something but I knew that I was way above tree top height. The drone immediately continued the autonomous flight only for it to happen a few more times. There was a light breeze at ground level but I had to conclude that there were some very violent gusts up at the drone level. I suspected that the building had been offering some protection from the gusts earlier in the mission. I cancelled the mission. Another factor was that I was flying the P4 with a sunshade which may have caught the wind and overpowered the gimbal.

All the best, Martin

Hi, I can't answer the specific question about the wind speed that triggers the high wind speeds warning. However, I do heed these warnings when they occur just because I know that winds speeds usually increase the higher above ground level you fly.

Earlier this year I had a sobering experience when I was flying a Litchi mission flying a large orbit around an old mansion house. All was proceeding as planned, the drone was at 65M AGL when suddenly as I watched the monitor it appeared to come to a violent shuddering halt and my first thought was that I had hit something but I knew that I was way above tree top height. The drone immediately continued the autonomous flight only for it to happen a few more times. There was a light breeze at ground level but I had to conclude that there were some very violent gusts up at the drone level. I suspected that the building had been offering some protection from the gusts earlier in the mission. I cancelled the mission. Another factor was that I was flying the P4 with a sunshade which may have caught the wind and overpowered the gimbal.

All the best, Martin
What did the warnings say on the app?

I don't recall seeing any warnings. Nearby tall trees obscured my view of the P4 at the time that the dramatic wobble so I was following the mission on the tablet. Initially I thought that the P4 might be on the way down... Very uncomfortable experience.
All the best, Martin

The app simply said "High Wind Warning" in a box near the top of the screen. Lasted about 5 seconds. I too experienced a sudden camera rock during one flight. Looked like the drone suddenly turned 90 degrees on its side for a split second on the screen, but it looked fine in the air so I suspect the gimbal had some sort of high wind induced twitch. Seeing that sideways view did stop my heart for a second.

The app simply said "High Wind Warning" in a box near the top of the screen. Lasted about 5 seconds. I too experienced a sudden camera rock during one flight. Looked like the drone suddenly turned 90 degrees on its side for a split second on the screen, but it looked fine in the air so I suspect the gimbal had some sort of high wind induced twitch. Seeing that sideways view did stop my heart for a second.
That camera rock is a very normal occurrence with my Phantom. It doesn't happen a lot. I can mimic that response of the camera by switching to FPV and look down at the ground while moving side ways. It's not a good affect. lol

I have gotten these high wind warnings as well with my p4p obsidian plus.. Even when i feel like its not too windy.. I understand the higher you go the more wind. But i have been everywhere from the local river to the mountains in Boone.. Which i would expect one there.. But it has been almost every flight. But it also says i need to calibrate my visual sensors as well. After my last update. I tell ya what.. The evo hardly ever throws any warnings and is alwaya ready for flight within 30 seconds. Much easier amd faster to get in the air. May make a video on that... Hmm

I have had Litchi missions bail out on me; always on windy days. My P4P was blown off course consistent with the wind direction and apparently bailed due to GPS coordinates not being within tolerance. The ground level wind is always below 15 mph but at 360 ft. it certainly can be a lot more. My limit used to be 10 mph (per weather app) but I have increased that to 15 mph without problems. I know I'm repeating what several others have said but more is better in this case.

Reactions: Phoenix One
Yeh I get some aswell,some are real and some confused drone decision lol,depending on surrounding some winds can be about at this height ,,almost like birds taking off in the wind,,,feet or landing gear up and they gone,I do expect prompts in windy conditions like it should but I ignore others

One of our clients recently did a range test on the Air 2 . Notice when the Wind Warnings occur , seems to happen when the speed of the drone changes.
Lot of data , but its a good watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

All the best, Martin
I've had similar symptoms with OA throwing a false positive when it catches a reflection or glimpse of something bright/shiny. That's why I fly all my LItchi missions with OA turned off provided that I can fly above MOCA.

I've gotten a couple of "High Wind Warnings" lately on jobs that occurred at 200' AGL while the wind was only around 10-15 mph on the ground. Can anyone tell me what wind speed triggers that warning? Thanks.
The "high wind warning" trigger speed is still a user settable parameter in the older versions of DJI Assistant. The default setting of 15.7mph is way too low, and is a real annoyance! It used to be even lower, but was later raised in a FW update, but is still way too low. It can safely be ignored in most cases. You'll know when it shouldn't be ignored!

I never had the warning with my old P2V+, even when flying with 25-30 mph wind gusts. Solid as a rock. I guess that model didn't have a sensor for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers