High wind velocity....MPH?

Reaction score
When flying at Picket Post Mountain we were getting numerous "High wind velocity, Fly with caution" alerts. You can see in the video of our mobile heliport the P4A is pretty unstable. What wind speed triggers the High wind velocity? Read somewhere there is an Extreme alert? Just curious.....

Nice clip and area,unsure what wind speed triggers these alerts but I get couple now and again,and not even windy,yes can see p4 getting unstable,my p4s does same thing,looks terrible in slight breeze trying to hold itself,tried calibration changed props and still the same,it's perfect flying likes yours but very unsteady,it's like esc working double time,this been happening for couple months now so will be following to see what is recommended

When flying at Picket Post Mountain we were getting numerous "High wind velocity, Fly with caution" alerts. You can see in the video of our mobile heliport the P4A is pretty unstable. What wind speed triggers the High wind velocity? Read somewhere there is an Extreme alert? Just curious.....]
According to DJI the warning comes in at 7 metres/sec (15.6 mph).
That's not a particularly strong wind level and hardly affects flying but could cause concern if using RTH from a distance.
The Phantom easily deals with a 7 m/s wind.
I don't see any instability in your video.

Reactions: Jerryatric
Can see at 49sec point ,no breeze it dancing holding itself which is what mine does,used to sit stable,very windy here I can't show what I mean but will record when no wind..

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to be returning to home point with the wind behind you. I flew out into the head wind but it was stronger on the return leg of the flight.

My P3S with Argtek antenna gives me great connection at distance...

62 MPH.jpg

Where I live near Denver it’s more often windy than not. In fact, it keeps me grounded more than any other weather issue here. The P3//P4 (I have both) each handle a 15.6 mph wind, like Meta4 said. I’ve got no problems up to about 18 to 19 mph is when I notice a difference in flight performance only. I’ve flown in windier conditions (unexpected) and the gimbal is so good that there were no signs of shakiness in the video. The wind can really throw the bird around quite a bit and you may not see that translate to your videos. You may want to look into an app called UAV forecast. It will tell you the current wind speed at any height you want to know, which is so helpful. Just because you’re feeling a 5mph breeze @ AGL doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening 200, 300 or 400 feet up. I can see 20 to 30 mph differences between those heights and as Meta4 was saying - you bet that effects RTH options, etc. Also, if you’re not filming in your way back home with a good tailwind it’s still exhilarating to look down at my controller and see it’s headed my way at 67 or 68 MPH. Just sayin...

And I got the biggest kick out of your video. The music and the way you filmed the Phantom - playful. Unique. And I don’t think I saw any trees blowing from wind there and that windmill was still. Where is that place? Southwest TX? Arizona? Awesome cactus’ - beautiful area. Perfect place to fly.

Reactions: Jerryatric
Where I live near Denver it’s more often windy than not. In fact, it keeps me grounded more than any other weather issue here. The P3//P4 (I have both) each handle a 15.6 mph wind, like Meta4 said. I’ve got no problems up to about 18 to 19 mph is when I notice a difference in flight performance only. I’ve flown in windier conditions (unexpected) and the gimbal is so good that there were no signs of shakiness in the video. The wind can really throw the bird around quite a bit and you may not see that translate to your videos. You may want to look into an app called UAV forecast. It will tell you the current wind speed at any height you want to know, which is so helpful. Just because you’re feeling a 5mph breeze @ AGL doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening 200, 300 or 400 feet up. I can see 20 to 30 mph differences between those heights and as Meta4 was saying - you bet that effects RTH options, etc. Also, if you’re not filming in your way back home with a good tailwind it’s still exhilarating to look down at my controller and see it’s headed my way at 67 or 68 MPH. Just sayin...

And I got the biggest kick out of your video. The music and the way you filmed the Phantom - playful. Unique. And I don’t think I saw any trees blowing from wind there and that windmill was still. Where is that place? Southwest TX? Arizona? Awesome cactus’ - beautiful area. Perfect place to fly.
Fun place to fly for sure. Sonoran Desert in Arizona about 60 miles east of Phoenix. Surface wind was about 15 but maybe 25 at 100' (sailing downwind in atti mode). Wanted to fly the cliffs but guessing gale force up there and it would have been into the wind coming home. ps. they lock the windmills when there are no cattle grazing the area.

Last edited:
According to DJI the warning comes in at 7 metres/sec (15.6 mph).
That's not a particularly strong wind level and hardly affects flying but could cause concern if using RTH from a distance.
The Phantom easily deals with a 7 m/s wind.
I don't see any instability in your video.
Thank you sir. Is there such a thing as Extreme Wind Warning?? No issues with stability so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94