High Altitude

Reaction score
Does anyone know how high of an altitude you can take-off and fly safely from? I'm a climber who regularly visits areas above
15 000ft. Have any tests been done that anyone is aware of? Any input would be appreciated. Thx!

No personal experience but have read that some have flown in Colorado at 14,000 ft. Without issues. Battery life might be cut some.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there

I'm from Colorado and higher altitude does have an affect. I haven't flown it off a 14er yet but have flown it at 11,000 and it took about 60-65 power just to hover and my flight time was reduced to under 5 minutes from about 8 with fpv setup and was sluggish in the air. I would strongly recommend bigger 9" props and increase the gain settings, it's done wonders for me at higher altitudes in helping regain some flight time as well as better flight performance. The next upgrade for me will be the anti-gravity motors which should also help in high altitude performance. Watch your battery life and altitude. It's a lot harder to decrease altitude safely and with stock props the first voltage drop (90% to hover) will bring it down.

How are you planning on packing you phantom? The only solution I can think of is to disassemble and carefully pack it. Open to other ideas for backpacking with phantom. Have fun!

Dskier79 said:
How are you planning on packing you phantom? The only solution I can think of is to disassemble and carefully pack it. Open to other ideas for backpacking with phantom. Have fun!

I just got back from a trip out to Banff/Jasper and took the phantom up on hikes to 8000+ ft. I got a big 70L backpack, and managed to get the controller, phantom, and batteries all in without a problem -- just had to remove the props. I originally tried bungee-cording my full hard case to the backpack, but it was too unwieldy and heavy. Got some very cool video up at Lake Agnes which is a hike about 1200 ft above Lake Louise...

I bet you did. I visited lake Louise when I was about 12 I think. Gorgeous turquoise water from the glacial runoff!

It's good to know the Phantom will fly at the high altitudes mentioned.I will be flying at only 3000-5000 feet on occasion but was curious as to whether it would lose much lift but if people are flying at twice that altitude I should be fine.

As for carrying the Phantom,TX,batteries etc over a distance or rugged terrain,I have bought a Yellowstone DSLR backpack that all the gear fits into neatly and it has adjustable straps on the front of it for a tripod that hold the Phantom with skids and props attached.

Enough space for batteries,props under TX,ND filters,side pockets for FPV goggles and tools,top pocket for filter adapters and spare SD cards and more.
Cost about $65au.

Attachments

• Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 1.JPG
    Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 1.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 692
  • Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 2.JPG
    Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 683
  • Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 3.JPG
    Yellowstone DSLR Backpack 4 Phantom 3.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 636
Hi there

I'm from Colorado and higher altitude does have an affect. I haven't flown it off a 14er yet but have flown it at 11,000 and it took about 60-65 power just to hover and my flight time was reduced to under 5 minutes from about 8 with fpv setup and was sluggish in the air. I would strongly recommend bigger 9" props and increase the gain settings, it's done wonders for me at higher altitudes in helping regain some flight time as well as better flight performance. The next upgrade for me will be the anti-gravity motors which should also help in high altitude performance. Watch your battery life and altitude. It's a lot harder to decrease altitude safely and with stock props the first voltage drop (90% to hover) will bring it down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I live in Phoenix, Az. My wife and I are planning a trip to Silverton, Colorado and I am looking for information on trying to fly my DJI P3Pro at altitudes above Silverton 9,300 feet above sea level. In particular we are interested in flying with takeoff altitudes as high as 13,000 feet. Can you please give me any warnings and information to help me fly safely. I have a "density altitude" app. I at least know about "death wobble" vortex descending, but no experience. Would you recommend different props. Where would I order them? Any info would help me get started learning before the trip to Colorado.
Thanks,
Joe
KC7GHT

well one thing i would be careful of is RTH. i don't know about the p3 or p4 but my first p2 i flew around 9,200' and it was like 70% to hover well RTH was around 50% and it just dropped when i hit RTH. luckily it came down in an area that was easy to get to. Hopefully it will use the gps to give more power if needed

I've taken a phantom 3 standard off at 12,000 feet with no problem

Ski,
Ttell me more about your flight experience at 12,000 feet. Was the P3S slow to respond to control commands? What was the battery life? Did you have any problems descending to land? Anything else you can tell me.

Thanks also to hjscm comment, and the Everest flight too.

Does anyone know how high of an altitude you can take-off and fly safely from? I'm a climber who regularly visits areas above
15 000ft. Have any tests been done that anyone is aware of? Any input would be appreciated. Thx!
Nice to see another climber using these for getting some nice shots rather than having to rappelle to get non-butt only photos. Just a heads up i've run into some rather unfriendly feedback from other climbers(mostly dirtbaggers who have no/want no knowledge of new tech.) It sounds like you might be using it for mountaineering so it might not be as big a deal for you but just wanted to let you know.

Maximum altitude for a P4 is a little over 19000 feet and will depend on temp and humidity. Motors will have to turn faster but the amp load on the motors will be virtually the same, it takes x amount of energy to lift x amount of weight, gravity is constant. You will get better lift if the air is cool. The bird will not fly as well because the thin air will make it harder to maintain stability and the motors will rev like a bat outahell. Check bearing temperatures, the higher rpm will generate more heat and good bearings can take it. I believe the bearings are 608 and they can take depending on manufacturer 33000 rpm. Have fun, hope to see your videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20