Help with FPV please

Reaction score
Hi,
Can I have connected the immersionRC 5.8 and the iOSD mini using the Plug and Play cable from firstpersonview with a Zenmuse H3 3D with a Hero 3 Black. Also have a FlySight BlackPearl all using stock antennas.
The problem is, on the Black Pearl I get the iOSD mini data displaying, but no video from the GoPro.
Strange thing is when I cycle through the menu on the GoPro the spanner shows and the video shows for a brief second.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The GoPro hasnt been updated to the latest firmware (still on V.2)
Any ideas what is happening here? I have double checked all connections, tried Bands B and F on the Black Pearl and tried different channels changing the dip switches on the ImmersionRC.

Can someone help?

Hi,
Can I have connected the immersionRC 5.8 and the iOSD mini using the Plug and Play cable from firstpersonview with a Zenmuse H3 3D with a Hero 3 Black. Also have a FlySight BlackPearl all using stock antennas.
The problem is, on the Black Pearl I get the iOSD mini data displaying, but no video from the GoPro.
Strange thing is when I cycle through the menu on the GoPro the spanner shows and the video shows for a brief second.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The GoPro hasnt been updated to the latest firmware (still on V.2)
Any ideas what is happening here? I have double checked all connections, tried Bands B and F on the Black Pearl and tried different channels changing the dip switches on the ImmersionRC.

Can someone help?

The immersion uses Band F and any channel that produces a clear image. Both camera and monitor have to be on either NTSC or PAL depending on which country you live in. From the looks of your video signal scrolling cross the screen there is a mismatch between camera and monitor.

Also make sure both RX1/2 are on the same channel as well so that both antennas are able to receive the signal from the transmitter.

Last edited:
The immersion uses Band F and any channel that produces a clear image. Both camera and monitor have to be on either NTSC or PAL depending on which country you live in. From the looks of your video signal scrolling cross the screen there is a mismatch between camera and monitor.

Also make sure both RX1/2 are on the same channel as well so that both antennas are able to receive the signal from the transmitter.

Thanks for your help. I should've mentioned both are set to PAL and the iOSD mini is blinking green. All bands are set to F. I have connected it up in the assistant software and the firmware is up to date. But I've read somewhere the green light should be solid so I dont know if that is the problem.
I have tried turning the GoPro on and record before turning on the Phantom, but still no luck.
What else could it be?

Thanks for your help. I should've mentioned both are set to PAL and the iOSD mini is blinking green. All bands are set to F. I have connected it up in the assistant software and the firmware is up to date. But I've read somewhere the green light should be solid so I dont know if that is the problem.
I have tried turning the GoPro on and record before turning on the Phantom, but still no luck.
What else could it be?

Are both RX1 and RX2 on your monitor set to the same channel as that of the transmitter?
Transmitter.jpg

Do not remove the plastic wrap from around the transmitter.

I have all 3 dip switches to ON which is 5740Mhz all bands on F channel 1

You'll have to look at your monitors manual on how to set both RX1/RX2 to channels 1 as both have to be on the same channel. I know the the video from the camera works as well as iOSD telemetry as I have seen it in your video

You'll have to look at your monitors manual on how to set both RX1/RX2 to channels 1 as both have to be on the same channel. I know the the video from the camera works as well as iOSD telemetry as I have seen it in your video

Yep I have set RX1/RX2 on channel 1. So because I get a flash of the camera when going through the goPro menu, that confirms it isnt a GoPro issue? and the transmitter looks like it works as the iOSD data is always showing.
To me it looks like as soon as I get the video, it looses the signal or channel. Could it be something to do with the iOSD? It blinks green and it should be solid green?

Yep I have set RX1/RX2 on channel 1. So because I get a flash of the camera when going through the goPro menu, that confirms it isnt a GoPro issue? and the transmitter looks like it works as the iOSD data is always showing.
To me it looks like as soon as I get the video, it looses the signal or channel. Could it be something to do with the iOSD? It blinks green and it should be solid green?

Have you had video before and this is a new problem?

Not with FPV, but the GoPro does record as normal.

Guess my question wasn't very clear. Have you always had this problem with FPV as in you video or is it something new.

Guess my question wasn't very clear. Have you always had this problem with FPV as in you video or is it something new.

Always had it. So I've taken out the plug and play cable, taken out the iOSD so I'm left with just the basic wiring from the immersion to the camera input from the Phantom. And I STILL get the same problem like in my video, except obviously no OSD, but this time no black screen, just static. Until! I scroll through the GoPro menus, then I get the 1 second video.
I've checked the cable ribbon from the zenmuse looks fine, I have even by passed the anti-interference board, so its just the one ribbon from the zenmuse to the board port.
So what else could it be?

Always had it. So I've taken out the plug and play cable, taken out the iOSD so I'm left with just the basic wiring from the immersion to the camera input from the Phantom. And I STILL get the same problem like in my video, except obviously no OSD, but this time no black screen, just static. Until! I scroll through the GoPro menus, then I get the 1 second video.
I've checked the cable ribbon from the zenmuse looks fine, I have even by passed the anti-interference board, so its just the one ribbon from the zenmuse to the board port.
So what else could it be?

Are you positive that the firmware on that camera is v2.0 and not the last update v3.0? When you first turn on the camera the version is at the very bottom of the LCD screen for only a second or two.

Are you positive that the firmware on that camera is v2.0 and not the last update v3.0? When you first turn on the camera the version is at the very bottom of the LCD screen for only a second or two.

Well, I just turned it on to double check the firmware version, not looking at the exposed wires from the immersionrc and the camera port blew on the main central board. Its actually quite funny, so now I'm 10 steps back from where I was earlier! Luckily I think it all still works, except there is no red LED light on the immersionRC now, but still get the green flashing light from the iOSD. I'm hoping the central board is OK and its just the immersion that has blown. It's turning out to be a nightmare! Thanks for your help though, I'll try and get another immersion see if it works...

Well, I just turned it on to double check the firmware version, not looking at the exposed wires from the immersionrc and the camera port blew on the main central board. Its actually quite funny, so now I'm 10 steps back from where I was earlier! Luckily I think it all still works, except there is no red LED light on the immersionRC now, but still get the green flashing light from the iOSD. I'm hoping the central board is OK and its just the immersion that has blown. It's turning out to be a nightmare! Thanks for your help though, I'll try and get another immersion see if it works...

Sounds more like you shorted out the B+ power supply to the transmitter on the main board. The iOSD module does not use the same B+ as the transmitter. You will have to open the P2 shell to check if L2 has been shorted out it's right in front of the CAM SOCKET as in the following photos.
Shorted L2 main board.jpg
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198.jpg

Hopefully you haven't a new transmitter before you have checked out the main board as indicated in these photos.

Ok thanks so it looks like it is shorted so I would need a new central board? And my immersion would still be ok?

Ok thanks so it looks like it is shorted so I would need a new central board? And my immersion would still be ok?

The main reason for the failure of L2 (inductor) is crossed B+ power lines going to the immersion TX.
Immersion 600mw wiring_02.jpg

More then likely there was no damage to the TX itself but you will not know that until the board is replaced.

If you still have a problem with video after replacement consider this. Because the gimbal/camera are so close to the ground the most vulnerable cable supplying power to an video from the camera is the ribbon under the tilt motor, USB ribbon cable and 8 pin gray cable. No matter whether the IOSD LED is flashing you should realize that it works because you see it on the monitor screen as long as the TX is receiving power.

To keep from damaging the TX never power up the P2 without an antenna attached as it only takes less then a second to destroy it.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. Ive tested the ribbon cable and the cable from the tx for continuity and they are fine, so even if I replace the board I'm still at a loss as to why I'm not getting any video. The Gopro is v 02.00. I think the next logical step is to connect it directly to the tx. Maybe it's the USB ribbon. Looks fine though. Is there anything else to try? I'd like to know that I can get the video fixed if I replace the main board.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. Ive tested the ribbon cable and the cable from the tx for continuity and they are fine, so even if I replace the board I'm still at a loss as to why I'm not getting any video. The Gopro is v 02.00. I think the next logical step is to connect it directly to the tx. Maybe it's the USB ribbon. Looks fine though. Is there anything else to try? I'd like to know that I can get the video fixed if I replace the main board.

Didn't you say that you needed a new main board? If that is true there's nothing you can do until you replace the board.

Look I spent over 20 year as an electronic repair technician so i am familiar in how to preform a continuity check. So if you what to check video continuity of the ribbon cable lets start removing the USB connector. Next if you haven't already open the shell of your P2. Now connect one probe to pin 2 (ground) of the CAM socket an the other probe to the very bottom (ground) of the ribbon cable and you should the continuity tone. That is if your meter has a ringer or zero ohms. The next terminal up on the ribbon cable and pin 1 on the CAM socket are the video line and should have either a tone or zero ohms.

If gimbal goes through its normal startup sequence there nothing wrong with the rest of that circuit. There should also be a red LED on the backside of the gimbals camera plate near the tilt motor. So if there is no damage to L2 supplying power to the video transmitter then I have no idea what you have done. So as I said if you have not opened the shell and looked in side I cannot be of much help until you do.
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198-jpg.68002

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic