Help with a Used Phantom

Reaction score
Hi first time poster and new to quads and rc aircraft as well.

I recently picked up a second hand (possibly third hand ) Phantom one as I wanted to take making videos and taking pictures a little further. I got my hands on a Phantom one with ( fairly sure its an early version 2.4ghz ) with a china gimbal already fitted and stuck my go pro on it. I managed to crash it pretty quick and broke a set of 9" props and am now back to the stock 8" props, but hey I was going to crash it eventually !!

I was looking at adding a dual battery tray to improve flight time but am worried about the weight. Should I source a new set of 9" props and what kind of weight can it handle ? and what kind of flight time can I expect ? I also picked up a 2800mah battery and was thinking of sticking to those from now on possibly in a dual set up.

I also noticed that the power lead in the phantom is slightly frayed and could do with being replaced. Its not a major issue and some tape has temporarily solved it but I want a more permanent solution. whats the best way to go about this ?

I'm mainly just looking for easy flights I wont be pushing this thing to the limits or flying it hard I just want to try some aerial photography ! So flight stability and extended flight times are my man focus.

Thanks in advance !

Patrick

Hey Patrick, Welcome to the party.

Prop guards are a wonderful thing if you are just learning.

I prefer the DJI 9450 props for the altitudes I fly. My field elevation is about 6,000 feet. What's your field elevation?

There are many variables when it comes to flight times, starting with altitude.

Here's your new best friend, google custom search for our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Hey Patrick, Welcome to the party.

Prop guards are a wonderful thing if you are just learning.

I prefer the DJI 9450 props for the altitudes I fly. My field elevation is about 6,000 feet. What's your field elevation?

There are many variables when it comes to flight times, starting with altitude.

Here's your new best friend, google custom search for our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi
not to sure of my elevation but not crazy high likely only a few hundred feet, I have a set of prop guards ordered just waiting delivery. Thanks I'll look into the 9450 props. I havent been able to find any information on replacing wiring or the main board of the phantom

not to sure of my elevation but not crazy high likely only a few hundred feet, I have a set of prop guards ordered just waiting delivery. Thanks I'll look into the 9450 props. I havent been able to find any information on replacing wiring or the main board of the phantom

If you get 9" P2 props and you want the guards to fit, you have to get the 9" P2 guards as well. I've tried 9" props on 8" guards and it looks really goofie and doesn't do any good whatsoever. :rolleyes:

What wiring are you wanting to replace? If you're talking the main power lead, that's self explanatory once you've got the top popped off. There are videos out there for just about anything you want to do.

Your soldering skills need to be pretty good so you don't fry a nearby wire or circuit on the board.
Videos baby, watch the videos. ;)

I have a serious word of caution about the screws which hold the prop guards on.
The longer screw will ruin your motor if you install them without the guards in place. You don't even have to start the motor for it to be ruined. All you have to do is install the screw and the motor windings are trash. :eek::(:mad:

Reactions: dirkclod
If you want to replace that power cable here's a few links for you.
I'm not sure what gauge the original is, maybe 14. The cable that you connect the battery to on the charger looks like it is the same. Just cut off the banana plugs and solder to the main board.

The second link is for 12 gauge, though that may be thicker than the original power lead.
Inside Phantom.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-Male-4...168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae80d1c10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT60-Plug-X...067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4ab6c79b

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickMcR
Dang Woody, I always thought it was 12 awg. I can't see AWG markings without popping the top.
It does feel pretty lightweight, now that I check.

I checked the wires of some of my batteries.
Lectron Pro 2700 35 C has 12 AWG
Thunder Power 2700 25 C has 13 AWG
MultiStar 4000 10 C has 14 AWG

From what I see on the batteries, I would conclude they base wire size on discharge rate.
My conclusions suck these days though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links guys, I have soldered before but am no expert, what risk to damaging the board is there ? dont want to brick my main board over a frayed cable !! thanks for the links !

On a 1-10 scale of soldering skills, with 1 being the guy who looses sight in 1 eye trying to solder 1 wire to another. I rate in somewhere around 4.3, and I've done it, and my bird still flies.
Stand by for better feedback, it will be here shortly. ;)

Hey Patrick, welcome to the hobby and the forum. You'll get some good advice from both Ifly and Woody, as well as many others that are just itchin' to help out. As with most forums, you'll get some occasional misinformation, but it's rare on here, and usually someone will chime in to set the wayward poster straight in a friendly way.

I'm looking to replace my main power lead as well. Months ago, I wired up a DJI PMU on a bird which I have since lost :oops: and had a problem with the solder joint. Here's the deal: for a change, it wasn't my lack of expertise. I've been soldering since the early 70s, as it was associated with my career, but the problem came in to play concerning the heat. I was using a 40 watt pencil type soldering iron, and no matter how long I left it on the joint of the main board, it wouldn't flow. I did manage to get it soft enough to attach the wires from the PMU, and it wasn't a cold solder joint, but I was surprised that the iron would not get this industrial solder hot enough to flow.

So when you're ready, you may want to consider something a little hotter than a 40 watt iron, but only on this main connection. For tinning wires and soldering to components, you'll want to stick to 40 watt or even 25 watt in some cases. The wires on the components and even the AUX PWR wires terminated in one of the legs, are very thin and the insulation melts easily.

As for the 9450s, they are killer props and should give you an extra 100 grams of lift capacity as well as two additional minutes of flying time. Speaking of flying time, I see from your pic that you have not modded your battery compartment (yet) to accept a larger battery. The Turnigy Multistar 4000mAh should give you a good increase in flight time and they fit very snugly into the shell after a little shaving. There a number of YouTube tutorials on this mod if you're interested...

Fly safe/fly happy (no hashtag)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic