HELP! Why is my aircraft version/fw change with the battery??

Reaction score
Merry Xmas to all!!

I got a new batt for Xmas, it's only my second batt Iv ever had for my p3a.. I charged the new batt popped it into my quad, and for whatever reason I took a look at what firmware I was running again.. And to my surprise my firmware changed!?

With my original battery my aircraft firmware was 1.5.30+ with the new battery my firmware for the aircraft is 1.8.80.. How is this possible? I know that battery's have their own firmware And that being a newer batt it prolly has newer firmware on it than my older batt.. Which mind you is only maybe 8-6 months old as well as the drone.. But how can the battery alone change the "aircrafts firmware version"??

When I place my original battery back into the quad the aircraft version goes back to 1.5.30+ again.. And visa versa with the new batt-back to 1.8.80..

Also does having two battery with two apparently different firmware gonna end up doing harm to my flights? Should they all be updated and matching? Or will this have no affect on My quad or how it flys?

I havnt done a singe update since I got the drone 8-6 months ago, it was brand new when I got it. And I had no plans on updating it because it flys flawlessly as it is, and I have had zero issues with it.

Please help and tell me what I should do, and If this is normal or not.

Also with the original battery it seems that my app version was 3.1.0 where as with the new battery the app version is 3.1.1

However that could have just been an auto update on the app when I connected it to the Internet?

My controller version however has never changed, even with the new or old batt.. It has stayed at 1.6.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per my knowledge, RC version of 1.6 required min 1.8.80 version on AC for proper connectivity.

Are you sure you didn't have 1.8.80 previously on the AC? Can you get the txt file from your SD card and post it here?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Oso
Usually when you update the AC Firmware, you need to run the update on all extra batteries that you've got.
As you figured out, the older battery had older fw on it, and newer has new. True that.
IMHO, i don't think that can cause any trouble. But still wait for other more experienced users to say their opinion.
I am on 1.9fw and 1.8 for rc. Everytime DJI go tells me i need to update FW, in red color warning message, which can also make me think that i am not doing something correct, by not updating it. But all seems to work fine. no issues.

Reactions: Oso
I'm 100% positive I didn't update anything. Iv had the p3a for 6-8 months I bought it brand new, Iv been the only owner.. As I said before , my aircraft version has ALWAYS been 1.5.30+ and It has always remained that with the battery that came with my drone.. All a sudden I get a new batt for Xmas and every time I put it into the quad and power it up it says my aircraft version is 1.8.80.. I don't see how the battery can change the entire aircraft firmware.. Unless since the batt is new and prolly has newer software that Maybe the drone just THINKS it's at a higher version than it really is? Now I don't really know what to belive and I really don't know what software I have and that's annoying..

I won't have a text file as I have never tried to update anything on my drone, never the battery never the controller and never the app..

My controller remains the same at 1.6.0, that doesn't change.. The other thing I noticed that changed was my app went from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 but I just double checked it tonight using both battery's and it's staying at 3.1.1, so I'm assuming that last time I was connected to wifi the app prolly did an auto update. So that's no big deal. But what's bothering me is the fact that I don't know which version my aircraft is at because it changes back and forth between 1.5.30+ with my original battery..and 1.8.80 with the new battery I just got today for Xmas. Also it IS an official dji battery, but one other differnce I noticed is the labeling on the battery .. Only thing that's differnt is the "battery operating temperature" one my original batt that came with the drone it says charge: 0c-40c and on the brand new dji batt it says charge: 5c-40c.. I'm assuming dji just changed this on the newer battery's because they possibly found out the battery's last longer when charged at a lowest of 5c instead of 0c? Other than that they are identical. Just that and the "aircraft firmware" are the only differences

EDIT: maybe I should just update everything to the latest firmware and be done with it.. Just sucks tho cuz I really didn't wanna update it. I like the quad as it is, and Iv never had any issues or glitches with it.

I have NOT flown with the new battery yet, I'm gonna try and fly it tomarrow and see if there is any differences in how the quad behaves. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. It just kills me that my aircraft version changes with the battery.. Just don't make any sense to me.

Per my knowledge, RC version of 1.6 required min 1.8.80 version on AC for proper connectivity.

I know for a fact Iv never updated and have always run 1.5.30+ on it since I got it, cuz that's how it came when I bought it and have never changed/altered anything.. And I also know for a fact the Rc version has always been 1.8.80 and I have NEVER had a single issue with connectivity.

I'm stumped as to what version I really have now. Cuz it changes back and forth between the two packs. Just so weird

Are you sure you didn't have 1.8.80 previously on the AC? Can you get the txt file from your SD card and post it here?

Alok is correct. 1.6 or later on the RC requires that you (or anyone) MUST have 1.8 or later on the AC or you would not have been able to fly at all. Ever. This is due to an encryption change that was released with 1.8/1.6. Since you have been flying, and since you have 1.6 on your RC, the only answer is that you've had 1.8 on your AC since it was new out of the box.

It's not uncommon at all for a "+" to appear indicating a FW version that is higher than what is shown.

If it were mine, I would not hesitate to put the AC 1.8 bin file on the SD card, and update the FW on each of your batteries. The AC will not update since you already have 1.8. As always, that's just my opinion. It's your decision. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ok so your saying I must have had 1.8 all along? And the fact that Iv always had a + on the end of my 1.5.30 means that it was prolly always a higher fw than it was showing? If this is the case it prolly just means the original batt has older fw on it which is making the "aircraft version" seem lower than it really was?

This would be good news, so I guess what I could do.. If I cared to do it.. Was just update my old battery to 1.8 and then everything- meaning both battery's and aircraft would match? Or at least SHOULD match?

My controller version however has never changed, even with the new or old batt.. It has stayed at 1.6.0

And I also know for a fact the Rc version has always been 1.8.80 and I have NEVER had a single issue with connectivity.
Your RC (controller) is at 1.6 as you said originally, correct? Later you said that your RC was 1.8.

Last edited:
What battery fw was the one that disabled flying if your battery was under a certain temp? Cuz I know with my original(old) one.. That if I didn't warm the batt up and flew it, I would get a warning message saying batt is under 59degrees and that I should land and warm it up to above 59 degrees.. But it would still allow me to fly.. Do you think this is cuz it has the older fw on it? .. If that's the case maybe I won't update the fw on it lol.. I havnt tried the new batt in the cold yet to see what that will do.. Do you think 1.8 will stop by drone from flying when colder than 59?

This would be good news, so I guess what I could do.. If I cared to do it.. Was just update my old battery to 1.8 and then everything- meaning both battery's and aircraft would match? Or at least SHOULD match?
Yes, that's what I am suggesting. As I noted, it's what I would do.

Reactions: JoBe
Yes my Rc has ALWAYS been 1.6.0.. And it does not change with either battery.. Only thing that changes is the aircraft version from 1.5+ to 1.8 deepening on which batt, new or old that I use

Is there anything bad that could happen from not updating it? And do you know which fw version was the one ppl talked about that would shut you down if your batt was under a certain temp? -u see 59deg F

I have a similar 'situation'. My bird is at 1.9.006, but lately every time I check the FW version in the go app it shows 1.5.30+. I know that's not correct, because I did the upgrade and everything went through just fine. Actually shows this on 2 different birds now.

As mentioned above oso said that it is not un-common to see a + on the end of a fw version for the aircraft that actually is updated to a higher version then it's actually showing. You prolly have the same issue I have.. For whatever reason it's just showing up as 30+ instead of what it's really at.. As long as you have a text file that shows compete and shows the version in which is was completed, then that's more than likely the fw it has.. Ans not 1.5.30+

Of course decision is yours, but be ready that after you update something can stop working. Unfortunately thats how dji updates work. Every time they fix something, something else gets ruined.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic