Help Choosing Drone

Reaction score
As an introduction, I am strictly looking for a drone to use for fun (not commercial). I have been playing with a toy drone (under $80) that does not have GPS or a good camera. I have been looking at the Phantom 4 series and the Mavic Pro. I am located in New Mexico where we have great open areas in which to fly but we also have quite a bit of wind. I want decent quality video and photos. I would also like a drone that is easy to fly and one that will hover and stay in place. With all that in mind, which drone would you buy and why? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: DMcNamara
It's going to depend on how much you want to spend. They range from the Phantom 3 standard (around $400) to the Phantom 4 pro $1300+. Also for portability, Spark, Mavic air and Mavic Pro $800+.

You were saying between P4 and mavic? For fun I would get the P4 standard. It is better in wind than the mavic. No need to pay top price and get the upper models of the P4 series. For a smaller package and flies farther, get the mavic.

Reactions: loonie01
Phantom 4 standard is a good quality drone to start with. I had no issues when I had mine.

I would also like a drone that is easy to fly and one that will hover and stay in place.
All DJI drones do this.

You can compare the specs for all current DJI consumer drones here:
DJI Consumer Drone Comparison

That should help you decide which of the drones might work for you feature-wise.

Not sure why P4's and above are being recommended for a first-timer to DJI brand...Personally, I'd be suggesting either a Spark if you're looking for very rare use, extreme portability, better price point. However, one of the main cons for the Spark include 'use' without a controller. You don't get one if you buy the cheapest version of the Spark. Apparently controller using a tablet or smartphone is VERY finicky; lots have complained and in some cases; crashed. Buying the controller costs extra unless you get it in a bundle. Not sure the range is that great for when you're flying...and if you intend on flying any drone in windy / extremely windy places, you'll get get the odd drifting while hjovering. However, bigger drones generally handle wind a bit better, like the Mavic or P4P. The Mavic is also portable with fold/retractable legs for carrying in a small backpack. You can shoot pretty good 4K 30fps video on it...it's also probably one of the more common DJI drones sold not just for commercial use; at least it is in my country....

I own a Phantom 4 Pro but I'm flying for fun but also for commercial purposes. Too much to pay if you crash it without DJI Refresh (warranty). Suggest you watch an hour so so of review videos on YouTube or even do some research on some local schools/FB groups that offer classes or meet ups and fly together; as its an easy way to become more acquainted with the product.

RoOSTA

Reactions: loonie01
Not sure why P4's and above are being recommended for a first-timer to DJI brand
Why not? There are many first time drone owners purchasing Phantoms and they seem to get along just fine.

I want to thank all that responded. Now I have more to think about as well as more options. Thanks!

Why not? There are many first time drone owners purchasing Phantoms and they seem to get along just fine.

Moreso because apart from the top-end commercial drones like Matrice, Inspire etc...it's stilla large and pretty expensive piece of equipment. I'd think there's better choices for entry level based on what this user has deemed important features; P4P far exceeds them...

RoOSTA

Moreso because apart from the top-end commercial drones like Matrice, Inspire etc...it's stilla large and pretty expensive piece of equipment. I'd think there's better choices for entry level based on what this user has deemed important features; P4P far exceeds them...
The OP is looking for a "Phantom 4 series" drone or Mavic Pro. While he could buy a P4P (the consumer drone with the best available camera), the Phantom 4 or Mavic Pro would most likely satisfy his requirement for a drone that will be able to take "decent quality video and photos".

As for being a first-timer to the DJI brand, you're a superb example. The first drone you ever purchased (per your intro) was the P4P and you seem to be doing just fine with it.

Reactions: With The Birds
If you dont need a camera or are willing to add one, how about an F450?

It has gps and will help you learn as you build. They are also reasonably priced...$240-$299 depending on naza version.

May not be quite as easy to fly as a phantom or mavic, but great to learn on. The f450 was my first multirotor and I still have it.

Of course you would need a transmitter and receiver, but I already had these items.

PenMan: If this isn’t too late, we use a P4P+ - our first-ever drone. It’s usually flown high up in mountains and on a mountain plateau where wind is normal. The stability is very good. GPS is brilliant. The camera quality for both video and stills photography is outstanding for the price. (Invest in a set of ND filters.)

I’m British, but love New Mexico and the other States nearby (Utah, California, and Arizona). You have stunning natural landscapes, which I featured in my third book years ago. The best, thankfully, are officially protected - and no-drone areas - but there are still plenty of other wonderful areas of great natural beauty.

PenMan: If this isn’t too late, we use a P4P+ - our first-ever drone. It’s usually flown high up in mountains and on a mountain plateau where wind is normal. The stability is very good. GPS is brilliant. The camera quality for both video and stills photography is outstanding for the price. (Invest in a set of ND filters.)

I’m British, but love New Mexico and the other States nearby (Utah, California, and Arizona). You have stunning natural landscapes, which I featured in my third book years ago. The best, thankfully, are officially protected - and no-drone areas - but there are still plenty of other wonderful areas of great natural beauty.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a Mavic Pro primarily due to the size when folded. It is a lot of fun to fly and takes great pics and video. I've been very happy with it.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a Mavic Pro primarily due to the size when folded. It is a lot of fun to fly and takes great pics and video. I've been very happy with it.

Good idea. Cheaper, more portable... Good starting drone of the higher end DJIs

RoOSTA

Ya, I started with a Phantom 3 Standard due to the price, then eventually got a Mavic Pro Platinum for the portability and quietness.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20