Hello from the Phoenix, Arizona area. Specifically Surprise Az

Reaction score
Really new. Retired from 3 businesses (Restaurants and Grocery Store) as well as Industrial Education Teacher in public school. Never laid eyes on a drone until I bought my Phantom 4 Pro which will be delivered today 5-28- 20. I’m 76 years old & still learning new tricks. USMC in 61-65. Already learned a lot by snooping prior to registering today. Hope ya all teach me a lot more. I have a ton to learn yet. You can only make informed decisions with information.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

In general... When you are new at flying, take your time at pre-launch with your settings. Fly in an open area with no obstacles to run into, and keep it relatively close (baseball field maximum) until you have confidence in your flying ability. Best of luck with it.

Reactions: rattydude77
Thanks for the welcome Capt KO and Dirkclod. Going to be a 108 degrees today and 110 tomorrow. Will be well over a hundred for the next several days and over a hundred and high 90s for most of the next 3 months. Bummer due to health reasons won’t be able to get out and try it for quite awhile. I will have plenty of time to read on the forum and research on goggle.

In general... When you are new at flying, take your time at pre-launch with your settings. Fly in an open area with no obstacles to run into, and keep it relatively close (baseball field maximum) until you have confidence in your flying ability. Best of luck with it.
In addition to this advice, learn everything about return to home (RTH) and loss of signal (LOS). It will save you some grief if you learn to set it up properly before flight. If not, you will be back here asking for help finding it. Great system when used properly. Example: return to takeoff point or to you. Or wherever it is, hover or land. Neat stuff. Lots to learn, SLOWLY. Any questions, just ask. Again good luck.

Mark your drone with return info in addition to registration.

In addition to this advice, learn everything about return to home (RTH) and loss of signal (LOS). It will save you some grief if you learn to set it up properly before flight. If not, you will be back here asking for help finding it. Great system when used properly. Example: return to takeoff point or to you. Or wherever it is, hover or land. Neat stuff. Lots to learn, SLOWLY. Any questions, just ask. Again good luck.

Mark your drone with return info in addition to registration.

I have that in my notes along with RTH Height,
put it in P in Mode as well as in RC mode - NOT WiFi, also Input Maximum Distance from me. If any thing else is necessary please advise. Also, do these inputs stay in after shutting down packing and going home, so the next time your ready to fly in the exact same take off location there is no need to input them again?

I have that in my notes along with RTH Height,
put it in P in Mode as well as in RC mode - NOT WiFi, also Input Maximum Distance from me. If any thing else is necessary please advise. Also, do these inputs stay in after shutting down packing and going home, so the next time your ready to fly in the exact same take off location there is no need to input them again?
Most do not use max distance limits. Leave Off, but good if letting someone borrow it though. You can restrict their flight distance. It wii remember your inputs too. ?

Reply appreciated Capt Ko. You say most do not set max distance. If I understand correctly, which I may not (I’m as new to Drones as a 30 second old puppy) max distance means how far it fly away from me. If that is correct as new as I am 40 yds. Is plenty of room to practice getting used to the controls.

That is correct but you can fly your 40 yrds without setting it. You will keep getting warnings when reached. Remember, that if not far enough away, RTH won't work. It will land where it is, not come back. Keep learning, you're already ahead of the game. ?
Getting excited? ? been there.

PS: Don't go crazy on accessories. Most do (incl me) but no need, except more batteries. Only my fishing attachments ever see use.

Last edited:
HI Tracker, welcome to the forums. My P4 been sitting on my shelve for over a year. Trying to get back into my P4. Charging the batteries tonight .....First night back to forums, lol seen your question

I used my outrigger release clip from outrigger for my boat :) You can buy on Amazon, eBay, and West Marine thinking $10 to $15 bucks Totally awesome release system and catch your fish ON!!

Enjoy

Price: $11.95

What I use is more expensive, but foolproof. The Gannet Bait Release. Specific to each model drone.(Phantom, Mavic, etc) If lines tangle, it releases automatically. The basic model (Gannet Sport) is similar to the mechanical release clip and tension can be preset. Stop the reel and it pops off. The high end model (Gannet X Sport) includes push button release from your remote in addition to tension release. Many drones go swimming while fishing but with Gannet, it cannot happen, Foolproof! Worth every penny IMO (have 4, Sport and X Sport)
Link:
Go Drone Fishing with the waterproof Gannet Pro, DJI and other drones

Last edited:
What I use is more expensive, but foolproof. The Gannet Bait Release. Specific to each model drone.(Phantom, Mavic, etc) If lines tangle, it releases automatically. The basic model (Gannet Sport) is similar to the mechanical release clip and tension can be preset. Stop the reel and it pops off. The high end model (Gannet X Sport) includes push button release from your remote in addition to tension release. Many drones go swimming while fishing but with Gannet, it cannot happen, Foolproof! Worth every penny IMO (have 4, Sport and X Sport)
Link:
Go Drone Fishing with the waterproof Gannet Pro, DJI and other drones
Please do not try homemade release systems. Drones and (salt) water don’t end well. Too expensive to lose having fun. You have a new high end drone so use a high end release. Save homemade for junkers.
Enjoy

Greetings and salutations Marine from Charles Town West Virginia. Thank you for your service, and enjoy flying your drone.

Also - our son who's in the Air Force and is an EOD E-6 is stationed at Luke AFB AZ. Even though he's from WV - he's loving Arizona with all the things for a single Dad to enjoy with his two little boys.

Sorry Suewho, Thanks to you as well for mentioning the Down Rigger release. Much appreciated.
I started that way too (downrigger release clip from my fishing business) but upgraded after a ?.
With any drone release, use a dropper string (3 ft) attached to your fishing line. Don't want that line anywhere near the props. More in Gannet and YouTube videos.
Hang heavier loads 10ft or more below to stop a pendulum swing, from side wind, overcoming your drone. Scary without pushbutton release. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. (pun intended). Good luck ?
Sorry, info overload. Got excited.

100+ degrees? thats our FL humidity now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20