hello from manchester UK

Reaction score
hello

have come across the site a few times while doing my research on which drone to get.

due to being a complete newbies to the world of drones i went for the p3 standard. it arrived last friday so i charged it and did firmware updates in work and stopped for a quick play on my way home. needless to say the newbie mode became very boring after 5 mins so i landed switched it off and had another play. All i can say is i wish i had bought 1 sooner.

took it out again the following day for a longer play and to get used to controls etc. had the max distance at 200m just to be safe. had a play with RTH mode to make sure it worked then decided to take it to the 200m limit. when i reached the 200 mark i got the warning i had reached the limit and after a couple seconds then lost my video link. was in open fields so line of sight was fine and easily to control.

is 200m video link normal and is there any way of increasing it without spending a fortune? i dont want it to go miles just a bit further than that.

thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

As a fellow mancunian, thought I should let on.
I bought a Phantom 3 Standard in January this year and had similar issues with range. The best distance I achieved was just short of 300m, but would only get about 50m initially.
This, flying in Wythenshawe Park, which you might expect to be free of major interference, sadly not.
I think the video link on the standard, being WiFi in nature, suffers being in area congested with wireless networks.
My take off point, and where I was flying, made a huge difference to my achievable range.
So much so, I walked around the park with my mobile phone; scanning for WiFi hotspots, and mentally noting areas with the fewest and lowest quality signals.

Ultimately, I resorted to upgrading to a Phantom 3 Advanced, and gave my brother the standard.
The difference in range was immediately obvious; flying in the same areas, over 600m range without a drop.
After adding a DBS antenna as well, almost 2000m, which takes me well outside the park.

I have yet to add a DBS antenna for my brother - so I can't be sure how well it improves the standard - but that may be an option for you.
I think they can be found for around £80.

Hope you are still enjoying your drone and getting great video.

cheers.

done a bit of searching on here and it seems alot of people are having the same problem after the firmware update.

got my eye on the dbs mod but it claims to be able to triple your range. but dont wanna spend the money and still struggle to signal at 500m

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik