Hello from Australia

Hi All,

Sydney based flying a P4.

Also a member of various FB drone pages and Castle Hill RSL photography club special interest group for Drone owners...

Happy flying all.

Hi gary iam from cairns where its beautiful one day perfect the next whats the weather like there happy flying

Hi Micky, here it's cold one day and colder the next. Weather has been crap free, windy one day and windy the next. Might get a fly in today though.
Cheers Gary

Hi Acecom, Enjoy your flying while you can mate. In a dew months our fantastic Government will kill the quadcopter hobby with their new laws. Unless you're flying on a sanctioned RC Airfield, flying something under 250 grams or flying indoors, you''ll be expected to pass an on-line exam, register each and every quad you own ($20 each) . You won't even be allowed to fly on private property, even with the owner's consent.

Basically, they will squeeze us so hard the majority of flyers will become overnight criminals or simply walk away from the hobby completely. Anyone using their quads to earn money will face heavy fees and have to sit for a licence to fly. Some commercial flyers have estimated that it will cost up to $20,000 to gain a licence. We'll have line of sight only with severe penalties for flying near people, flying near emergency services whilst attending any emergency. The list goes on and on, when I first read it I could picture a Quadcopter hater writing the new laws.

Can you imagine 100 or more people turning up at a sanctioned RC field and wanting to fly. These new laws effect not only quad flyers, but fixed wing as well. The entire thing is nothing more than yet another money grab and another "tax on fun" by the Government. To see the new laws (notice I didn't say "Proposed Laws" they've already been signed and sealed) are expected to be in place by Christmas 2019 and can be seen on CASA's website.

Who will be responsible for checking the registration and licensing of flyers? Probably our overworked police force. Somebody has to hand out violation fines and investigate all the complaints about those pesky quad flyers, so let's lumber our police with the task. I'm sure the local constabulary will love the idea. I heard a whisper that every item used by a flyer who hasn't registered his quad or doesn't have a licence will be confiscated. This isn't mentioned in the new rules, but I'm betting a lot will be added now that they've got the basics approved.

Can anyone picture Phantom owners throwing their quads in a bin and buy a sub 250 gram toy? So enjoy it while you can Acecom, by the new year Australia will have either a lot less flyers or maybe a lot more criminals.

PS: By the way, I'm in Narrabri North West NSW.

Hi Acecom, Enjoy your flying while you can mate. In a dew months our fantastic Government will kill the quadcopter hobby with their new laws. Unless you're flying on a sanctioned RC Airfield, flying something under 250 grams or flying indoors, you''ll be expected to pass an on-line exam, register each and every quad you own ($20 each) . You won't even be allowed to fly on private property, even with the owner's consent.

Basically, they will squeeze us so hard the majority of flyers will become overnight criminals or simply walk away from the hobby completely. Anyone using their quads to earn money will face heavy fees and have to sit for a licence to fly. Some commercial flyers have estimated that it will cost up to $20,000 to gain a licence. We'll have line of sight only with severe penalties for flying near people, flying near emergency services whilst attending any emergency. The list goes on and on, when I first read it I could picture a Quadcopter hater writing the new laws.

Can you imagine 100 or more people turning up at a sanctioned RC field and wanting to fly. These new laws effect not only quad flyers, but fixed wing as well. The entire thing is nothing more than yet another money grab and another "tax on fun" by the Government. To see the new laws (notice I didn't say "Proposed Laws" they've already been signed and sealed) are expected to be in place by Christmas 2019 and can be seen on CASA's website.

Who will be responsible for checking the registration and licensing of flyers? Probably our overworked police force. Somebody has to hand out violation fines and investigate all the complaints about those pesky quad flyers, so let's lumber our police with the task. I'm sure the local constabulary will love the idea. I heard a whisper that every item used by a flyer who hasn't registered his quad or doesn't have a licence will be confiscated. This isn't mentioned in the new rules, but I'm betting a lot will be added now that they've got the basics approved.

Can anyone picture Phantom owners throwing their quads in a bin and buy a sub 250 gram toy? So enjoy it while you can Acecom, by the new year Australia will have either a lot less flyers or maybe a lot more criminals.

PS: By the way, I'm in Narrabri North West NSW.

It's no where near as bad as you're making out.
We pay $20/yr and follow the same rules as we do now.
I've been registered with CASA for years and get all their updates.
Registration is just a way to identify us like number plates on a car.
Those that are breaking the rules won't register anyway.

Hi all, new to this dtone business, just scored a used Phantom 3 pro. Can see this being addictive.
Cheers Gary
Welcome! It is an expensive hobby but nowhere near as expensive as my Traxxas rc trucks addiction! Those things cost a BOATLOAD to keep running! They break a lot. The Phantom only needs maintenance if it crashes. I give my best to you and your Phantom!

Hi all, new to this dtone business, just scored a used Phantom 3 pro. Can see this being addictive.
Cheers Gary
My son is near Perth, Australia and has also just got into drones. Me, I'm here in the UK and have a P3A and love it! Not sure why they say "expensive" though, unless they mean crashes and yes, they can be expensive which is why I have third party and accidental damage insurance!

Cheers Gary
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new P3P, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome mate. Good to see another Melbournian.

Keep an eye on CASA and drone safety news. Early this week, news broke in AUS after legislation was passed to have all drones registered weighing over 205grams...so there will ridiculous annual fees now...I don't evben have it that bar for a car license for driving on the road! Pilots must be over the age of 16. Fees will vary depending on use (commercial or joy flight). Watch this space!

RoOSTA

Welcome mate. Good to see another Melbournian.

Keep an eye on CASA and drone safety news. Early this week, news broke in AUS after legislation was passed to have all drones registered weighing over 205grams...so there will ridiculous annual fees now...I don't evben have it that bar for a car license for driving on the road! Pilots must be over the age of 16. Fees will vary depending on use (commercial or joy flight). Watch this space!

RoOSTA

The easiest way is to go to the CASA website and apply for an ARN.
After that they will keep you updated via email.
At the moment the talked about fee for recreational fliers is $20/year.
This was decided months ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik