Hazard weather flying.

Reaction score
The Philadelphia guy was charged for flying in hazard weather. I made a comment, but the topic was said to be, beat to death on the other forum. My concern is what is called, "Hazard weather flying" as he was charged? I see merit in having a rain suite for inclement weather flying. The company has very impressive videos to show their products value. No jab to them, they just show my point well. I fly in snow and some misty situations, with videos on YouTube. So, at what point am I or we guilty of a "felony"?

Reactions: Phoenix One
Hazardous weather flying is any weather phenomenon that affects your drone or your ability to maintain VLOS with your drone, such as fog, smoke, strong wind, heavy snow or rain, etc.
IMG_1609212982.564290.jpg

METARs always give you visibility distance.

Her is the reason the FAA came after this guy.

The Philadelphia guy was charged for flying in hazard weather. I made a comment, but the topic was said to be, beat to death on the other forum. My concern is what is called, "Hazard weather flying" as he was charged? I see merit in having a rain suite for inclement weather flying. The company has very impressive videos to show their products value. No jab to them, they just show my point well. I fly in snow and some misty situations, with videos on YouTube. So, at what point am I or we guilty of a "felony"?

This was beaten to death in the other forum , at no point did he ever fly in the rain , and the FAA has made it very clear that you can fly in the Rain and the Wind.

Many of the Forum Member including myself called the FAA special agents to confirm this.

The problem stemmed that Philly Lied and used that Lie to make people think that is why the FAA fined him for .

It has sense been debunked many many times, so I would not worry to much about any felony for flying in bad weather.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.
FAA - States very clearly that you can fly in the Rain and Heavy Winds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
After 8 pages yes it was beat to death. But this is a different subject. And just to be clear your comment was not what beat it to death. ?

Thanks all. I fly in light to moderate snow and got freaked out about what was called hazardous flying. Always wise to the wind on this Ridge from beginning. One time in the beginning I had to zig zag to beat the wind to get home. I have always had control of my Phantom 4, except when I was in sports mode and thought I was in GPS mode. The brakes never came on when I tried to stop. It survived a 10 foot drop when it hit the tree. So, I guess any crash is losing control just like a car.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Thanks all. I fly in light to moderate snow and got freaked out about what was called hazardous flying. Always wise to the wind on this Ridge from beginning. One time in the beginning I had to zig zag to beat the wind to get home. I have always had control of my Phantom 4, except when I was in sports mode and thought I was in GPS mode. The brakes never came on when I tried to stop. It survived a 10 foot drop when it hit the tree. So, I guess any crash is losing control just like a car.
I also fly in harsh conditions (light to heavy snow and in temperatures down to -30C) frequently. I think as long as flight safety is being maintained and continuously being monitored you are fine. VLOS obviously varies greatly in these conditions so always keeping the AC in sight and away from people are prime considerations.

Chris

Be careful when posting video. Even though you have VLOS with your drone if the flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles you’re violating 107.51 (c).

Be careful when posting video. Even though you have VLOS with your drone if the flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles you’re violating 107.51 (c).
I’m in Canada so 107.51 doesn’t apply to me. I do not take a lot of video mostly photos and do not post to any social media. I should have been more clear. When I fly in heavy snow it is in cold weather where the snow flakes are small and dry and do not stick to the AC particularily the camera. Flying in heavy wet snow is almost useless as the camera lens usually gets gummed up with snow shortly after takeoff and builds up on the AC itself.

Chris

Reactions: skymonkey
I’m in Canada so 107.51 doesn’t apply to me. I do not take a lot of video mostly photos and do not post to any social media. I should have been more clear. When I fly in heavy snow it is in cold weather where the snow flakes are small and dry and do not stick to the AC particularily the camera. Flying in heavy wet snow is almost useless as the camera lens usually gets gummed up with snow shortly after takeoff and builds up on the AC itself.

Chris

Hey Chris, I did notice you were in Canada and was not replying to your post. I do apologize if it sounded that way. I was just making a general comment to anyone that might read this thread. I had the opportunity to fly this week in 55 degree weather which is a rare treat here in South Florida. The drone handled so much better and the battery stayed cooler. Looking forward to fly in the snow one day.
PhantomWetSuits flies backwards in the rain to keep rain off the lens. You might want to give it a try.

Happy Holidays!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic