Have I managed to FUBAR my new drone?

I think it is the Galaxy S5. I've tried twodifferent cables but no luck. The crazy thing is it will give me the camera option on any of the Inspire versions, Raw Pro or Standard. Of course, they don't work. I have an iPad Mini 2 that will be here the 19th so I guess I'll have to wait.
A mini 2 may not work very well either. I don't think it is on the approved list. I think the processor is to slow and you will get some lag in the feed. There are also reports of the mini 2 getting hot running DJI GO and shutting down mid flight. That is not a huge issue because you can restart it or use the RTH button on the remote. But it is not ideal either.

I think it is the Galaxy S5. I've tried twodifferent cables but no luck. The crazy thing is it will give me the camera option on any of the Inspire versions, Raw Pro or Standard. Of course, they don't work. I have an iPad Mini 2 that will be here the 19th so I guess I'll have to wait.
I think it will show those other birds until you connect through the app the first time, then the app will have learned which bird you have and go to it automatically after that.

You'd still be able to connect.. just won't arm, camera and settings would still be accessible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It didn't make any difference so I turned it back off. I couldn't get it to do anything except charging anyway.
Thanks for trying. Enabling it has been helpful to countless pilots over a couple of years. Sorry it hasn't worked so far in your case. Have you yet tried to move the USB off of charging only as I noted?

The folks on the Facebook group gave me a few ideas to try and they worked. I had to enable USB debugging, specify MTP protocal and pick Go as the app. (Thanks for that tip, Oso!) I also tried to roll back the controller firmware. It finally accessed the controller and let me select the camera. I'm using beginner mode until I become a bit more proficient but I can now start flying! Thanks to everyone

A mini 2 may not work very well either. I don't think it is on the approved list. I think the processor is to slow and you will get some lag in the feed. There are also reports of the mini 2 getting hot running DJI GO and shutting down mid flight. That is not a huge issue because you can restart it or use the RTH button on the remote. But it is not ideal either.
An Ipad Mini 2 works fine without problems. Many other Phantom fliers including myself fly with one.

Sent from my E5823 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The folks on the Facebook group gave me a few ideas to try and they worked. I had to enable USB debugging, specify MTP protocal and pick Go as the app. (Thanks for that tip, Oso!)
You're welcome sir. I'm very glad that it worked for you.

Among others, I have one very simple question. If you couldn't get the Phantom to connect with the controller, then how could you possible see the instructions on how to calibrate the compass.

It almost sounds like you attempted to calibrate the compass by just turning in a circle and then tipping the nose down without the calibration instruction being on the screen. This would NOT be calibrating anything.

Bud

My problem is that I have watched TOO MANY videos. I've read the Quick Start Guide 4 times, I've watched the DJI videos twice, I've sadly watched YouTube videos about previous versions of the drone and that's where I got confused. When I started out, I followed the manual precisely.but the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.so I proceeded like the DJI video said. I attempted to calibrate the compass but the status lights began the flash red very fast so I powered everything down and reread the manual and quick start.The first time, I had tried to use the cable that came with the drone to connect my phone. It would not give me the camera option. So I retrieved a computer interface cable for my phone and used it the second time. When I turned on the controller, it had a red light and beeped continuously. It still will not give me the camera option. The only way to shut it up is to move the throttle up and down. The the beep stops, the light goes green and I can move the camera up and down. But the app still never gives me the camera option. I shut down the app and restarted it. When I scrolled the equipment screen to the Phantom series, it gave me the camera option as I went past the Inspire. It will bring up the camera screen on that but it isn't connected of course. I moved on to the Phantom series and selected the P3A but still no camera option. Is there a way to reset the controller and start over?

Absolute greenhorn struggling to find ANYTHING that would work? :)
Gotcha! When I first got mine I would calibrate before every flight, then I figured out I didn't have to. Now I only do it if I'm flying over 100 miles from my last calibration.

Here is something I think we could use.

Magnetic anomaly map of North America with detailed aeromagnetic surveys

It's a map of the US showing magnetic anomalys. It shows where the magnetic field changes and by how much. I plan to use it to see if the magnetic field where I am going to fly is different from the field where I live. Don't really know how much difference it could make but at least I'll know to watch for changes in drone behavior.

Here is something I think we could use.

Magnetic anomaly map of North America with detailed aeromagnetic surveys

It's a map of the US showing magnetic anomalys. It shows where the magnetic field changes and by how much. I plan to use it to see if the magnetic field where I am going to fly is different from the field where I live. Don't really know how much difference it could make but at least I'll know to watch for changes in drone behavior.
I use an app on android called magnetology that gives you the KP index. Anything over 3 when I'm flying I actually notice my Phantom is not as steady when just hovering. It will drift very slightly.

I downloaded one last night called "UAV Forecast" that is supposed to have that info along with weather, GPS info, TFR's and solar activity. Have not actually used it yet so I don't know how accurate it really is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT