Have I managed to FUBAR my new drone?

Good man. Get what you have working first before changing anything. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.
This might be opinion, but it is a very sound one. Do not update the firmware until you've successfully flown it the way it was shipped to you.

Oso, great list of tips too.

OP: I've only read 1/2 the replies so far so pardon if this is a repeat, but if you get the annoying beeping on start up that goes away once you fiddle with the sticks, the good news is that the sticks just need to be calibrated (though shouldn't have shipped that way).

Edit: okay, someone posted that part (remote calibration). I also see you trying a whole bunch of other things including calibration without a remote connection.

Dude, you're freaking yourself out. Do NOT try any of the multitude of things that you've seen in a video until you have a logical cause to. Right now, that means fixing your remote connection. See the manual about re-linking the two.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
I downloaded one last night called "UAV Forecast" that is supposed to have that info along with weather, GPS info, TFR's and solar activity. Have not actually used it yet so I don't know how accurate it really is.
I use that one as well and it's my go to for wind conditions.

Here is something I think we could use.

Magnetic anomaly map of North America with detailed aeromagnetic surveys

It's a map of the US showing magnetic anomalys. It shows where the magnetic field changes and by how much. I plan to use it to see if the magnetic field where I am going to fly is different from the field where I live. Don't really know how much difference it could make but at least I'll know to watch for changes in drone behavior.

But the magnetic map WON'T show the massive section of metallic pipe/old tractor/truck buried invisibly underground, which some contractor abandoned 40 years ago. :)

Once I've got a good compass calibration, I stick with it and will only re-calibrate the compass if I thought I had spotted a problem or had travelled more than about 100 miles away from where it was calibrated.

Yes, I also think you need to relax a bit, learn a lot - and just keep a careful eye on how your drone flies to try and detect if you have any problem(s).

But we all had to start sometime.... :)

My problem is that I have watched TOO MANY videos. I've read the Quick Start Guide 4 times, I've watched the DJI videos twice, I've sadly watched YouTube videos about previous versions of the drone and that's where I got confused. When I started out, I followed the manual precisely.but the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.so I proceeded like the DJI video said. I attempted to calibrate the compass but the status lights began the flash red very fast so I powered everything down and reread the manual and quick start.The first time, I had tried to use the cable that came with the drone to connect my phone. It would not give me the camera option. So I retrieved a computer interface cable for my phone and used it the second time. When I turned on the controller, it had a red light and beeped continuously. It still will not give me the camera option. The only way to shut it up is to move the throttle up and down. The the beep stops, the light goes green and I can move the camera up and down. But the app still never gives me the camera option. I shut down the app and restarted it. When I scrolled the equipment screen to the Phantom series, it gave me the camera option as I went past the Inspire. It will bring up the camera screen on that but it isn't connected of course. I moved on to the Phantom series and selected the P3A but still no camera option. Is there a way to reset the controller and start over?
My beeping stopped on my P4 after I took off. It only happened a few times.

My new P3A arrived this afternoon. First thing, I charged all the batteries. I installed the drone battery and turned on, first, the controller, then the drone. The controller started beeping furiously so I moved the throttle stick up and down and it quit. The light turned green on the controller and the drone flashed yellow. I remembered something from a video about setting the compass so I picked up the drone and slowly turned to my left in my living room as the camera pointed away from me. Next, I pointed the camera down and turned slowly to my left. After a few turns the flashing green light started flashing red furiously. Nothing I did would make it stop so I turned everything off. I connected my Galaxy S5 to the controller and decided to try again. On power up, the controller beeps continuously and DJ Go won't give me the camera button after the drone is on. I've tried 4 times and get the same results. Oddly, DJ Go will give me the camera button for the Inspire but not for the P3A. I guess I'm toast. [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app
A friend of mine had th he same problem when he tried to upload 1.8.10. This is how I fixed his. Format the SD card on the drone from your phone or tablet.with every thing turned on then update the Firmware to 1.8.10 via wifi. The loud beeping continued until the aircraft had updated. After that all was well.

I have issues where my Galaxy Tab E won't connect to the RC or very stubborn. I have found a workaround. With the RC on and connected to the Android, powercycle the Android then launch the app. App connects and you should be able to select your bird if not connected or will automatically select the bird if it is.
Then you should be able to update the controller which has to be done through the app. The update of the bird is through the SD card.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing