Has anyone installed a stronger lens in a P4?

Reaction score
I am in need of improving photographs taken in a specific area of several mountains in the distance. The P4 camera makes the mountains too distant in the actual photograph. I was wondering if anyone has exchanged the lens with a lens that is made for more of a distance situation? A prime lens with a stronger focal length?

If so...what company did you use??

Last edited:
The Phantom 4 does not have interchangeable lenses.

If you want a zoom capability you can move to the Mavic 2 zoom. For fully interchangeable lenses and options, you would need the Inspire 2 with either the X5S or X7S camera.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
This is what I have been thinking about....are you saying this would not work?? Thank you for helping....

DJI Phantom 4 Lenses – Peau Productions
You can pinch screen to use as zoom or this not enough[/QUOTE]

That is a digital zoom. I need something that will bring a mountain closer to my camera, using the Phantom 4 at a certain lat and long. A zoomed-in but fixed focal length lens, so to speak.

Last edited:
You can pinch screen to use as zoom or this not enough

That is a digital zoom. I need something that will bring a mountain closer to my camera, using the Phantom 4 at a certain lat and long. A zoomed-in but fixed focal length lens, so to speak.[/QUOTE]
Might need something like this mayby...if I find something that will work I post it ,me curious on this aswell:)
Screenshot_20190320-085456.jpg

I have never seen those before. I do see some potential issues though:

I've never seen those, but I can just see too many problems with a third-party lens of questionable quality.

Thanks everyone for your input!

The actual lens is a replacement that weighs 4.24g. Not sure how this compares to the original lens though.

The set up looks simple enough. The picture quality looks good from Youtube. But I am a bit concerned that more people have not discussed this option on this forum. It seems as if no one is using it. ???

I would have thought it would be cheaper and easier to move closer to the mountain. If the mountain won’t come to you, lol.
I assume this isn’t possible ?
LOL. Why didn't I think of that?? Hahaha

No, it is not possible. I need to get pictures at a soon-to-be hotel site. But, unfortunately, the large mountain with snow in the drone's photograph looks nothing close to what it does in real life. I'm still thinking about the Peau Production lens. But I wish I could hear from people who have used it.

LOL. Why didn't I think of that?? Hahaha

No, it is not possible. I need to get pictures at a soon-to-be hotel site. But, unfortunately, the large mountain with snow in the drone's photograph looks nothing close to what it does in real life. I'm still thinking about the Peau Production lens. But I wish I could hear from people who have used it.

I replaced a factory lens in a P4Std for a customer with a 8.25 lens. It was quite easy. The only issue was that the supplier failed to tell us that the lens needed to be focused 14 1/2 feet from an object. Once I corrected that problem, the customer was very happy with improved photography. Not sure if this will help your situation, but worth mentioning.

If you want to get the hotel in the foreground and the mountains in the background, position your drone appropriately. You can not 'make the mountains bigger'. They are where they are and they are likely to stay there for a long time. A longer focal length lens will seem to 'enlarge' the mountains, but then you will no longer have the hotel foreground. Reality is fixed.

Hotel in foreground, and you need mountains bigger, right? Two things are needed- yes, longer focal length. But also, move farther away from the hotel. If you only change focal length, but not your distance, you’re just cropping into the same image, not changing the scale of the mountain relative to the hotel.

I’d also like to know about a lens swap, but I imagine that the quality loss will be greater than just a digital zoom.

If this is a still image, this might be a case for a cherry picker and choosing whatever lens you want on dslr. :)

I replaced a factory lens in a P4Std for a customer with a 8.25 lens. It was quite easy. The only issue was that the supplier failed to tell us that the lens needed to be focused 14 1/2 feet from an object. Once I corrected that problem, the customer was very happy with improved photography. Not sure if this will help your situation, but worth mentioning.
Thank you. That is the same lens I was considering. The one I am interested in is from Peau. What lens did you use??

If you want to get the hotel in the foreground and the mountains in the background, position your drone appropriately. You can not 'make the mountains bigger'. They are where they are and they are likely to stay there for a long time. A longer focal length lens will seem to 'enlarge' the mountains, but then you will no longer have the hotel foreground. Reality is fixed.
The actual hotel is not built yet. They would be the views from balconies looking out at the mountain. I just want the mountains to look much more life-like. At present the pictures do not come close to doing the actual views justice.

I get what you are saying. I appreciate your reply.

Last edited:
Hotel in foreground, and you need mountains bigger, right? Two things are needed- yes, longer focal length. But also, move farther away from the hotel. If you only change focal length, but not your distance, you’re just cropping into the same image, not changing the scale of the mountain relative to the hotel.

I’d also like to know about a lens swap, but I imagine that the quality loss will be greater than just a digital zoom.

If this is a still image, this might be a case for a cherry picker and choosing whatever lens you want on dslr. :)
Yes. I already took some great photos from an adjacent field of the mounatin views with the very handy Nikon DSLR. The problem is that it is not the specific hotel site (at lat and long) because with a DSLR I am rooted to the ground, and the original hotel areas are surrounded by large live oaks and, in another instance, by a couple 80 ft. pine trees. So, flying above and taking the photos is what the client wanted.

I don't want to injure my P4. I was hopeful that there would be more drone junkies on here that had experimented a bit more. The online video of the Peau 8.25 lens seems easy enough. I just have a lot of concerns around the fact that there are no real "testimonials" or show-offy YouTube videos like there is for everything else. Seems like no one is using this lens. I don't want to be the guinea pig. I'm just not that technically savvy. But if it was something that was done by others, to good effect, I would definately try it out.

Gotcha, makes sense. Watched the Peau video here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's pretty dang nice. There's a link to the install on there too, which doesn't look too difficult, but does look fairly permanent. Price seems great, and maybe you could get an extra camera or entire gimbal to swap as needed? But yeah that that point of trouble and cost, just upgrade to a Mavic zoom.

Borrow a Mavic 2 Zoom for the shot. At the telephoto end of the 2x optical zoom, its 48mm focal length equivalent to a FF camera is close enough to 50mm for a normal view.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic