Has anyone flown the P4P

Alf

Reaction score
Finding out if anyone has managed to fly a P4P and captured some video and photos for us to look at to give an idea of the quality that we are able to expect from the new camera.

Finding out if anyone has managed to fly a P4P and captured some video and photos for us to look at to give an idea of the quality that we are able to expect from the new camera.
Feast your eyes on this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have a pre-production model. If you want to look at some "auto" DNGs, download from here and fuss with them.
Note - nothing special in setting - probably took them on auto.
Dropbox - more_dng.zip
I have video also.
The problem with video is that we really are starting to exceed the capabilities of the internet and of the devices that many people have. Even trying to play 100 mbps 4K files locally can slow a lot of machines.
By that measure the video ends up being better than what most people need...unless you are a pro or prosumer. There are also pros and cons to the camera settings and to the focus. Those who really know what they are doing can get a lot out of them. Those who just fly and take some vids to share here and there may prefer fixed focus and less to fuss with.
Always consider the right tool for the job you have at hand,

Any way you look at it, the bigger sensor is going to let more light fall on it and you will end up with a better total image.
Here is my first look which contains some basics and pics, etc.
Phantom 4 Professional - 20 Megapixel Prosumer Drone - First Look - Drone Flyers

Even trying to play 100 mbps 4K files locally can slow a lot of machines.

cdronefly,

Could you please share a sample of 100Mbps HEVC (h.265) encoded video from the Phantom 4 Pro?

This will be the bottleneck for my setup, but I'm interested in examining the P4Pro's HEVC output.

Thanks!

cdronefly,

Could you please share a sample of 100Mbps HEVC (h.265) encoded video from the Phantom 4 Pro?

This will be the bottleneck for my setup, but I'm interested in examining the P4Pro's HEVC output.

Thanks!

Well, don't look at this for anything other than file layout and size, etc...I think this is HEVC.
Dropbox - DJI_0015.MP4

I can't even view it on my 3.5G iMac Retina.

That is vid taken before even calibrating so it probably has lots of defects...but it is an HVEC file I believe.

For the rest of you - basically the 265 is going to be for the future...and for real pros with heavy-duty setups. If you are creating video for online, personal and/or "light commercial" use there is little reason to put it into your workflow.

I just did some 4K - online and compressed it's about 30Mbps - but it still looks quite good IMHO.
If anyone wants to download that file and play it offline - about 400MB - Dropbox - P4P-first-samples.mp4

Reactions: AsiaFlyer
I downloaded the firs clip (DJI_0015.MP4). Premier reports it just as an Mpeg-4 video, but Quicktime won't open it so I do think it is H265. Looks like it is encoded at 100mbps, and it looks great, but won't play back at speed on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014). Probably will need to be encoded to ProRes for editing but it should look great is this is any indication.

Thank you for the files. Both files played well and image quality was excellent.

The DJI_0015.MP4 (100Mbps HEVC) file had issues on my 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (neither QuickTime Player, VLC or MPlayerX could play it). I expected this on this machine.

The DJI_0015.MP4 (100Mbps HEVC) file ran very well on my PC laptop (Asus GL502VS with Nvidia GTX 1070) using MPC-HC (Media Player Classic).

The 30Mbps H.264 file played well on both machines (as expected).

I hope in the future macOS will support HEVC (to save me from transcoding it to ProRes before editing).

Last edited:
Many thanks for the raw video file!

It actually plays very choppy in MPlayer and barely playable in VLC. Quicktime no go.
This is on a 6700K 4,8 ghz, 16 GB, AMD R9 380X, El Capitan computer.

I transcoded it to ProRes 422. These are screenshots. Notice the rich color compared to washed out h264 and the higher dynamic range. The second one is a little blurry, this is due to motion blur. The drone is moving in that shot. I could not see a single compression artefact in the whole video, it's so smooth. Amazing. A flying RX100... DJI has done a great job.

You will need to transcode it to some other format before editing, though. Which is not an issue for me, but beware.

vo6irm.png

szkcwn.png

edit: Actually those are screenshots from playing fullscreen, meaning it's 4K downsampled to 1440p which is my monitor resolution. This one is an actual screengrab from VLC, 4K resolution and a moving shot, so motion blur:
opv2i0.png

It seems the shitty host (tinypic.com) recompressed the png into a lower res jpg. Oh well, the difference is pretty obvious still.

Last edited:
I just ordered one from DJI but I have a new MacBook Air. Will I have problems watching on this machine? I am not familiar with encoding or transcoding. And I found out that it uses a different controller but you can use p4 batteries in it. I just played both from my iPhone but haven't tried MacBook Air yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Two questions about your P4P:

1. Does the camera still have the lossless 2X zoom when capturing in 1080?
2. If you have the P4P+, does the android display have access to the play store, and have you downloaded any third party apps?

Is that a sensor crop you are talking about (pulling the HD out of the 4K rather than scaling the 4k to 1080)? That would be a really nice feature.

Is that a sensor crop you are talking about (pulling the HD out of the 4K rather than scaling the 4k to 1080)? That would be a really nice feature.
Yes, that's a standard feature on the current P4 craft with iOS Go. I think it's undocumented. I don't think the Android Go app supports this yet, but it's very handy to have when looking for something on the ground from a distance. The clarity is very good.

I have a pre-production model. If you want to look at some "auto" DNGs, download from here and fuss with them.
Note - nothing special in setting - probably took them on auto.
Dropbox - more_dng.zip
I have video also.
The problem with video is that we really are starting to exceed the capabilities of the internet and of the devices that many people have. Even trying to play 100 mbps 4K files locally can slow a lot of machines.
By that measure the video ends up being better than what most people need...unless you are a pro or prosumer. There are also pros and cons to the camera settings and to the focus. Those who really know what they are doing can get a lot out of them. Those who just fly and take some vids to share here and there may prefer fixed focus and less to fuss with.
Always consider the right tool for the job you have at hand,

Any way you look at it, the bigger sensor is going to let more light fall on it and you will end up with a better total image.
Here is my first look which contains some basics and pics, etc.
Phantom 4 Professional - 20 Megapixel Prosumer Drone - First Look - Drone Flyers

Thanks for the sample files. I've just played with them a bit in Lightroom, adjusting highlights and shadows, and, the dynamic range is MUCH better that previous cameras, as it should be with a one inch sensor. I think I'll finally upgrade from my P2 w GoPro 4.

John

Could you not find them on YouTube?

Well, don't look at this for anything other than file layout and size, etc...I think this is HEVC.
Dropbox - DJI_0015.MP4

I can't even view it on my 3.5G iMac Retina.

That is vid taken before even calibrating so it probably has lots of defects...but it is an HVEC file I believe.

For the rest of you - basically the 265 is going to be for the future...and for real pros with heavy-duty setups. If you are creating video for online, personal and/or "light commercial" use there is little reason to put it into your workflow.

I just did some 4K - online and compressed it's about 30Mbps - but it still looks quite good IMHO.
If anyone wants to download that file and play it offline - about 400MB - Dropbox - P4P-first-samples.mp4

Same here, I can't view DJI_0015.MP4 on my 2.9G Macbook Pro retina, based on your post, I am sure I'm not going to be able to view it on the iMac Retina, not even going to try tonight when I get home. I was able to play Dropbox-P4P-first-samples.mp4 file.

Using a third party converter - WinX HD $35.00 - was able to convert Dropbox-DJI_0015.MP4 to a manageable format and play the file using quick time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic