Hardware advice for new pilot - P3S??

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to drone piloting - only a few days' experience with low end consumer (toy) drones.

However, I am extremely intrigued by the industry, and interested in pursuing at least a side business in the drone field. Mapping with DroneDeploy (or Maps Made Easy) seems like a great way to differentiate myself from other regional drone service providers.

Since I am a new pilot, I am considering purchasing a refurbished Phantom 3 Standard ($400 USD) to practice flying and filming with. However, that model is not supported by DroneDeploy (or MME also I believe).

The least expensive DD-supported model is a refurb P3 Advanced at $639 USD. (Seems like DD wants Lightbridge only, and not wifi.)

My question is: get the P3S as a "beater" to practice with for a while, OR spend the extra money for the P3A (or even a refurb P4) so I can also practice mapping with DD? Doing some pro bono work and building a portfolio is also attractive. I'm just worried about crashing and ruining a nicer model while I'm learning.

Kind of leaning towards getting the P3S to enjoy and learn, and then waiting to see if DJI announces a Phantom 5, Mavic with a better camera, etc. in the near future once I am ready for the big league?

Appreciate all advice!

Bonus question: what do you all think of drone flight simulators (e.g. Realflight Drone)? Worth the investment?? I do have a Holy Stone HS170 Predator (and an Altair Aerial camera FPV drone on the way) to practice with.

Last edited:
I also am new to drones. I operate a Phantom 3 "standard". Very satisfied with it - high resolution & outstanding color-saturation photography. The ability for the on-board camera to provide me with a "pilot's eye real-time" view is particularly useful.

In other posts I have expressed my curiosity and suspicion about the so called " refurbished" practice, at least as it applies to Phantoms.

This is my second "refurbished" Phantom 3s. Ordered from different sites - but received within three business days. In each case, received obviously brand-new in a "factory" box. Which leads me to my suspicion the term "refurbished" is a "cover" for over-production - that way, the manufacturer can "dump" excess production on the market without violating "price under-cutting" restrictions in their contracts with their distributors. ? ? ?

Oh - you may ask why I ordered a second Phantom 3s. The one feature that would be a benefit to amatuers like us, that the "Standard" does NOT have, is the on-board "obstacle avoidance" system. If you get "carried away" with this fantastic product.....well.......to quote Clint Eastward's character in one of his violence flims..."man's got to know his limitations". Bottom line "big tree ONE....Phantom 3 ZERO....." ( if you "get the picture" ).

Bottom line, I recommend the Phantom.!

Reactions: Lancer X
What a great ad for DJI: "refurbishment SO good, customers think they received a new one!"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl