Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Understood, how about just a measurement of the P3 total height with and without props.

Approximately 190mm without props and 196mm with props on

Be very interested in knowing your final thoughts on it after a few days and if you think it is better than your P2 with gopro, and transmitter and black pearl.

Reactions: TMSmalley
Subtle differences?
Like they have a similar case but are completely different?
It's amazing what one can learn reading the specs
P3
Capacity
4480 mAh
Voltage 15.2 V
Battery Type LiPo 4S
Energy 68 Wh

P2
Capacity
5200 mAh
Voltage 11.1 V
Battery Type LiPo 3S
Energy 57.7 Wh

That charger charges at 5.7amp, whey faster than you should charge a 4480 mah lipo for best battery life and safety. Dji have all ways charged under 1c so surely they are not going to start charging faster than the Standard Industry recommendation for charging a lipo.
A question on this. If you can essentially drain a battery in 23+ minutes then why is it a bad thing to recharge one in 50?

Charging any lipo at 1c is best, just google it. As for charging any specific lipo at 1amp you just need a good high power charger that you can set what amp you charge at , and a lead. i would just make my own lead. Maybe new lipos now are fine with charging higher i dont know, i doubt it but there you go. I am not stating the lipos wont last im just saying they wouldnt last as long as charging them at 1c. To be honest when the final chargers arrive to us all with our phantoms i don't think for one minute they will charge past that 1c point. They don't on any other phantom or the inspire or even come close to 1c to be honest, so i cant see them arriving to us with that charge amp.

Reactions: johnjay
Charging any lipo at 1c is best, just google it. As for charging any specific lipo at 1amp you just need a good high power charger that you can set what amp you charge at , and a lead. i would just make my own lead. Maybe new lipos now are fine with charging higher i dont know, i doubt it but there you go. I am not stating the lipos wont last im just saying they wouldnt last as long as charging them at 1c. To be honest when the final chargers arrive to us all with our phantoms i don't think for one minute they will charge past that 1c point. They don't on any other phantom or the inspire or even come close to 1c to be honest, so i cant see them arriving to us with that charge amp.

I don't think the 1C 'ceiling' has been true for a long time. I'm not saying there's no ceiling but up to 2C is something not uncommon.

LiPo care, usage, etc. can be a bit of a 'pointy' subject so I'm not going to promote further debate but have an open mind.

Reactions: leekiya
I agree with what your saying, but charging higher over a long period of time will ruin the chance of the battery's capability of taking the best charge it can. now and again fine but long term not good. Again i stress at this point as i don't want to get into any debate about this as its all ready a debate on any lipo application in any hobby, and i honestly don't think our chargers will tip up charging at 5.7 amp, i really dont.
just checked again now and the 100w charger for the inspire charges at 3.8 amp. I think maybe the chargers given out with the prototypes were just high output charges to charge them fast and get them up more quickly. Maybe

Last edited:
I think the Pro comes with an upgraded charger. I am happy with the concept of a faster charged battery so I dont need to buy any more than say 3 batteries so I can cycle them on a good day.

Yes the pro comes with a upgraded 100w charger, if the production model of that charger i get when it arrives charges at 5.7amp i will be surprised that's all im saying.
on another completely different note how the hell have you come about yours out of curiosity, are you in the UK and was it that one that was on ebay on sunday night. Yes i am very jealous and did um and rrr about clicking the buy it now button and wish i had to be perfectly honest. LOL Hope your enjoying flying it anyway. :)

Well there you go, that makes me a happy man as you can tell it was worrying me, so that's that put to bed. Dont suppose you have a link on how the smart function in the battery works and controls what amp goes to each cell and how it all works ect ect, thats a lot of tech in the end of a battery. Be a good read for a battery geek like me.

Leekiya,

The charger is rated at 5.7A. This does not mean the battery will charge at 5.7A. It simply means that the charger is capable of providing a maximum of 5.7Amps. If anything tries to draw more current than 5.7A then it won't get it (or a fuse will blow or ... bang!). The amount of current drawn from the charger will be set by the charging circuits contained in the "intelligent" DJI battery.

I could connect a power supply (which is all the DJI "charger" is, as far as I understand) that is rated at 100A but the DJI batteries would charge no quicker. The battery would draw the current they are set to draw (Which I suspect is that nice safe 1C that you refer to.).

The important part is that the DJI power supply is rated just a bit higher than what the charge circuits will take. A higher rating means the power supply will not be working at its limits - and that those fuses are kept safe!

As a side note. I did in fact Google the "C" rating. As a battery specification it refers to the discharge rate of the batteries - not the charge rate. In other words, C is how much current you can draw from the batteries before they go pop (or protection circuits kick in). The max discharge rate may well coincide with the recommended max charge rate for LiPos but it could be just that - coincidence. In the future, a tweak to the design of LiPos and things may change - but one would have to be an expert in the battery chemistry to know if this is likely and I am not!

>>EDIT
seems someone beat me to making this point. Oh well I won't delete the post - it was my first one on here after all!
:)

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Charging at 1c rate means equal to the mah of the battery, so to charge a 4400 mah battery you would charge at 4.4 amp and 5200 mah 5.2 amp ect ect. I suspect like all ready pointed out to me the smart is in the battery. Without looking into this further I suspect at this point the smart bit of the battery is simply a balance board in the battery it self that controls what amp goes to each cell and how that amp drops of through out the charge.

I agree with what your saying, but charging higher over a long period of time will ruin the chance of the battery's capability of taking the best charge it can. now and again fine but long term not good. Again i stress at this point as i don't want to get into any debate about this as its all ready a debate on any lipo application in any hobby, and i honestly don't think our chargers will tip up charging at 5.7 amp, i really dont.
just checked again now and the 100w charger for the inspire charges at 3.8 amp. I think maybe the chargers given out with the prototypes were just high output charges to charge them fast and get them up more quickly. Maybe

Ok...

For the P3P charger-
Amps=Watts/Volts, thus 100watts/17.4volts= ~5.8 amps.

That equates to 1.3C for a 4.48Ah battery, this is not beyond a safe level.

If you really want to ponder something... I don't believe the DJI charger is using the prescribed CC/CV charging profile (at least the P2 doesn't).

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX
As pointed out its only the power supply that it is that, the balance board on the smart battery takes care of the charge and the amp, which will be about 1c and then drop of likes all charges do as the charge progresses. I think we will be able to see what the battery's pull when first plugged in on the app. If not I will be testing out of curiosity.

Mohan what sort of flight times are you getting? To about 30%

Well I flew 8800 feet and had this level of battery. It was very windy. The battery life is better than my P2 with Lightbridge and Go Pro

Reactions: TMSmalley

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic