Hand catching without remote?

For anyone who hasn't tried this before, make sure whoever catches the Phantom grabs it by the upright portion of the landing gear and *NOT* the vertical part. As David points out, after a few times it becomes easy peasy, however if you are new to this or someone is helping you, grab it by the vertical part.

If you grab the bottom, horizontal part of the landing gear, it will twist around in your hand and cut you as it tries to stay level while descending. I use a lanyard with one hand on the control and one hand on the landing gear upright and have done this dozens of time for both launch and land in a boat or in dirty environments where I don't want take off from the ground. My Visual Observer is quite good at this as well. If you don't want to turn off VPS, it's much easier to catch if you bring it just above head height, but facing away from the catcher. Get it close, then descend slowly and grab (again, but the upright).

For anyone who hasn't tried this before, make sure whoever catches the Phantom grabs it by the upright portion of the landing gear and *NOT* the vertical part. As David points out, after a few times it becomes easy peasy, however if you are new to this or someone is helping you, grab it by the vertical part.

If you grab the bottom, horizontal part of the landing gear, it will twist around in your hand and cut you as it tries to stay level while descending. I use a lanyard with one hand on the control and one hand on the landing gear upright and have done this dozens of time for both launch and land in a boat or in dirty environments where I don't want take off from the ground. My Visual Observer is quite good at this as well. If you don't want to turn off VPS, it's much easier to catch if you bring it just above head height, but facing away from the catcher. Get it close, then descend slowly and grab (again, but the upright).
Good point Tyger but I have to say having someone ELSE grab the thing is asking for trouble . . just a slight delay or miss-communications could easily lead to some spilled blood. Better to do all of the eye/hand coordination and synchronized timing done in a single bio-processor (ie brain) . . . than have a "Sorry, I thought you said now!" moment and make a mistake . . in my opinon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There's lots of videos on YouTube that show how to do about anything you need to know!

Turn it off. ;)

No, as FD said.
The motor rev is the aircraft trying to maintain attitude/altitude. It doesn't know you're trying to 'land'.
What happens if you have the bird's motors spinning idly, then pick it up, or just touch the chassis underneath (assuming there are no props on the motors)? Do the motors rev up?

If you grab the drone and turn it sideways, as in top vertical to the ground, it will turn off.

My P3P does not turn off even if you invert it completely ... and its on latest FW etc.

This is what I need! I tried it and it worked! Dangerous but it really stops the motors. Thankyou. I have a P4p+

Try that with a P3 .... and it will NOT stop ... in fact its bl**dy dangerous thing to do.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There's lots of videos on YouTube that show how to do about anything you need to know!
if you want to do a hand catch you must do it by yourself solely as shown in the video. No assistant! Because the action must be precisely coordinated and only you will know the moment when the drone is sufficiently grabbed by your hand that you can stop the motors. In fact this is very simple procedure when you do it several times. I would only recommend that it is better to grab the phantoms leg from the side and not from in front or from backside of it as the front/back sensors will try to avoid your hand. Lateral sensors won't detect your hand if it is lower than the Phantom is. Of course you can shut off all sensors before you going to catch it. And let the Phantom to hoover above the horizontal level of your eyes. Grab the vertical part of the leg as already been said.

if you want to do a hand catch you must do it by yourself solely as shown in the video. No assistant! Because the action must be precisely coordinated and only you will know the moment when the drone is sufficiently grabbed by your hand that you can stop the motors. In fact this is very simple procedure when you do it several times. I would only recommend that it is better to grab the phantoms leg from the side and not from in front or from backside of it as the front/back sensors will try to avoid your hand. Lateral sensors won't detect your hand if it is lower than the Phantom is. Of course you can shut off all sensors before you going to catch it. And let the Phantom to hoover above the horizontal level of your eyes. Grab the vertical part of the leg as already been said.
Good point on the sensors I don't have to worry about them my phantom no equipped with them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31