Had a bad day doing what I enjoy most.

I had a similar experience with a crazy guy while I was flying from a seaside public access vista point in a state park. I'm a great-grandfather in my mid-70s. I had taken off and immediately headed out over the water and away from any people, then did a long video take of the scenic bluffs and surf while flying sideways along the coastline.

This crazy hadn't even seen my drone, but saw that I was using the controller. He approached and started yelling at me and waving his arms while crowding me. He said he would call the cops and he did call 911 and falsely told them that I was endangering people with my drone. He gave them my license plate number. All this before he had ever seen my drone at all.

I had already told him that I was FAA registered and not violating any rules or laws. He was yelling at me and demanding that I land the drone and leave. By then he had me rattled, and I had lost control signal as my drone was about a mile away. I hit the RTH button and after a delay it finally picked up the signal and headed back.

Once I had the drone down and I got my cell phone out of my car and started video recording the rest of the encounter. By then he had gotten into his car and started to leave but I wanted to be sure to get his license number and description. When he saw that I was capturing him with the cell phone he jumped out of his car 20 yards away and started toward me saying "Gimme the film, gimme the film, gimme the film." (Film? Made me think he was just out of prison or a loony bin if he didn't know that a phone camera doesn't use film.)

He continued right up to inches away from me, crowding me and making threatening gestures. I told him he was disturbing the peace, assaulting me and behaving in a disorderly way, and also that interfering with a person who is piloting an aircraft is a violation of federal law. After a few minutes he decided to leave, and the incident was over, but far from forgotten.

What I learned from this is to always have my cell phone in my shirt pocket when I fly, and I bought a canister of pepper spray gel to keep handy in case he comes after me again. It's legal in California to use pepper spray in self defense. It's important to have a video of the interaction because otherwise if the cops come it's your word against his.

On the Go4 menu there is an option to record audio from the controller microphone while you shoot video with the drone. Mine doesn't seem to work. I'm flying a P4A+ with built-in display. Anybody know about that issue? If my audio had recorded I would have the perfect evidence against this nut.

I had a similar experience with a crazy guy while I was flying from a seaside public access vista point in a state park. I'm a great-grandfather in my mid-70s. I had taken off and immediately headed out over the water and away from any people, then did a long video take of the scenic bluffs and surf while flying sideways along the coastline.

This crazy hadn't even seen my drone, but saw that I was using the controller. He approached and started yelling at me and waving his arms while crowding me. He said he would call the cops and he did call 911 and falsely told them that I was endangering people with my drone. He gave them my license plate number. All this before he had ever seen my drone at all.

I had already told him that I was FAA registered and not violating any rules or laws. He was yelling at me and demanding that I land the drone and leave. By then he had me rattled, and I had lost control signal as my drone was about a mile away. I hit the RTH button and after a delay it finally picked up the signal and headed back.

Once I had the drone down and I got my cell phone out of my car and started video recording the rest of the encounter. By then he had gotten into his car and started to leave but I wanted to be sure to get his license number and description. When he saw that I was capturing him with the cell phone he jumped out of his car 20 yards away and started toward me saying "Gimme the film, gimme the film, gimme the film." (Film? Made me think he was just out of prison or a loony bin if he didn't know that a phone camera doesn't use film.)

He continued right up to inches away from me, crowding me and making threatening gestures. I told him he was disturbing the peace, assaulting me and behaving in a disorderly way, and also that interfering with a person who is piloting an aircraft is a violation of federal law. After a few minutes he decided to leave, and the incident was over, but far from forgotten.

What I learned from this is to always have my cell phone in my shirt pocket when I fly, and I bought a canister of pepper spray gel to keep handy in case he comes after me again. It's legal in California to use pepper spray in self defense. It's important to have a video of the interaction because otherwise if the cops come it's your word against his.

On the Go4 menu there is an option to record audio from the controller microphone while you shoot video with the drone. Mine doesn't seem to work. I'm flying a P4A+ with built-in display. Anybody know about that issue? If my audio had recorded I would have the perfect evidence against this nut.

The audio recording is good because flying and using a separate camera is not something most people can do.
Your phone most likely has the audio recording capabilities also.
You should not have to wear a body cam when flying but may be necessary in some places.
Someone stupid enough to approach a stranger and start hassling them, easily may be capable of trying violence.
I sure as hell would not do it, in many places in the USA it's perfectly legal to be armed and many people are.
Screwing with a stranger is just stupid.
So if someone is messing with you, first thing to understand is that they are not very bright and possibly capable of anything.
Call law enforcement and do not engage them, this means don't talk to them.
If you talk to them, they will more times than not, start to escalate the situation.
This is what you want to avoid, they have already decided they are right and you are wrong it just gives them an opening to continue the abuse.
Don't fall for it.

Again
Tell them to go away.
Don't engage them.
If they continue call law enforcement.

This means anyone that is not actual law enforcement:
Costumed security guards.
Somebody driving a big black SUV.
Someone with a company logo on there shirt.
Somebody with urine stains on their shirt.
Etc.

Last edited:
Hey all, my name is Tony K.

I don't post much but I don't miss much either. This Forum keeps me up to date and I am glad to be a small part of the growing industry. I'm an old man, like to dabble, work with my hands and it has always been fun. Until today. You know I hear this pilot and that pilot talk about how someone ruined there day of flying. We have all heard the stories.

This morning started out great. Everything is all charged and ready to go. Inspected the Bird, checked the recent update, called the Airport, checked the area I would be flying before hand. So I figure, why not take the drone out, take a few Pano's for this company I'm hearing about that offers DJI pilots an opportunity to maybe earn a little extra cash. (The name of the company doesn't seem to be relevant.)

Next time I read about how one of us are approached and basically Accosted by a complete stranger. I’ll feel your pain. It did something to me. Hurt my feelings? It was more than that. I don't have the words for it, not trying to be dramatic. But having this guy come up, get in my face and not stop yelling, what was I doing he is saying over and over. This guys pissed, I calmly ask to be given a second so that I can bring the bird in. He is still going at full blast. "Your spying he says." It is around two in the afternoon. "How do I know you didn't go look to see what was in my back yard."

My hands are shaking, "you don't belong here, you don't belong in this neighborhood.” (I chose this area because I live two blocks away) and I explain that. I also offer to let him see the photos that I had taken. No, he's not listening. Asks me if I have a license or if the drone is registered. I pull my wallet out, I'm shaking, having a difficult time getting into my wallet. Maybe he's going to? Who the **** knows ? Seems these days, anything is possible. I didn't want to be that guy on the news that gets shot and killed over a fun time out with my Bird. Not only would it be bad publicity for us and our drones. . . Dead is no good either.

I explain to this guy that he is too close for comfort. I am upset and uncomfortable, to stop threating me. I ask him to move away. He's still in my face but now he is taking photos of me with his phone. Going to put me on Facebook, great he has my name from the ID that I had shown him. WTF

At this point, I've had enough. I get my phone and I dial 911. Finally, he turns to leave and return to his home. I'm now noticing that this guy lives half a block away. I'm tripping because he had come all that distance. PD hasn’t arrived yet and here he comes again. Enough, I'll stop ranting, I just walked in the door, hurt, upset, offended, and I had to vent somehow. wew . . .

Thanks fellow pilots for listening.

(Now do I post this?) I still feel like crap.
if it was me he would have been eating a fist sandwitch

Since my first encounter with an aggressor, I now wear a ball cap with a RunCam mounted on it's bill. Argumentative encounters are fairly rare now.

Last edited:

I don't post much but I don't miss much either. This Forum keeps me up to date and I am glad to be a small part of the growing industry. I'm an old man, like to dabble, work with my hands and it has always been fun. Until today. You know I hear this pilot and that pilot talk about how someone ruined there day of flying. We have all heard the stories.

This morning started out great. Everything is all charged and ready to go. Inspected the Bird, checked the recent update, called the Airport, checked the area I would be flying before hand. So I figure, why not take the drone out, take a few Pano's for this company I'm hearing about that offers DJI pilots an opportunity to maybe earn a little extra cash. (The name of the company doesn't seem to be relevant.)

Next time I read about how one of us are approached and basically Accosted by a complete stranger. I’ll feel your pain. It did something to me. Hurt my feelings? It was more than that. I don't have the words for it, not trying to be dramatic. But having this guy come up, get in my face and not stop yelling, what was I doing he is saying over and over. This guys pissed, I calmly ask to be given a second so that I can bring the bird in. He is still going at full blast. "Your spying he says." It is around two in the afternoon. "How do I know you didn't go look to see what was in my back yard."

My hands are shaking, "you don't belong here, you don't belong in this neighborhood.” (I chose this area because I live two blocks away) and I explain that. I also offer to let him see the photos that I had taken. No, he's not listening. Asks me if I have a license or if the drone is registered. I pull my wallet out, I'm shaking, having a difficult time getting into my wallet. Maybe he's going to? Who the **** knows ? Seems these days, anything is possible. I didn't want to be that guy on the news that gets shot and killed over a fun time out with my Bird. Not only would it be bad publicity for us and our drones. . . Dead is no good either.

I explain to this guy that he is too close for comfort. I am upset and uncomfortable, to stop threating me. I ask him to move away. He's still in my face but now he is taking photos of me with his phone. Going to put me on Facebook, great he has my name from the ID that I had shown him. WTF

At this point, I've had enough. I get my phone and I dial 911. Finally, he turns to leave and return to his home. I'm now noticing that this guy lives half a block away. I'm tripping because he had come all that distance. PD hasn’t arrived yet and here he comes again. Enough, I'll stop ranting, I just walked in the door, hurt, upset, offended, and I had to vent somehow. wew . . .

This is why I like flying at home. Although, it gets boring.
DJI_0047.JPG

If I were you, I'd have smiled for the photos, possibly displayed the appropriate extended fingers for the country you're in, and then I would have called the police on the guy. If what he did was not assault, it was pretty close.

Under no circumstances would I identify myself to an out of control person. If he ask if I was "licensed" or was UAV was registred, I would tell him "yes" and if he persisted to know more, would tell him I would identify to an FAA agent inspector or law enforcement officer if he wanted to call one or if I had to. He has no need to know who you are in his mental state. Let an official work it out.

(that way if I had to cold **** him, he would not know who to file on or post to facebook) Would have definitely have made call to local police under these circumstances
You don't need to censor the word coldcock. It's a type of punch, not a chilly willy :)

I've been in many public areas flying, and have often been "ready" for someone to start a hassle, but it's never happened. Even when cops have driven up, they're always interested, have lots of questions, etc. I think the worst thing I've had happen was some dork mimed a shotgun blast at my 'copter. I thought about buzzing him, but figure, my luck, I'd run into him. Just kept on doing what I was doing. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Point in fact, you can fly right over his between 300' and 400' and he gets no say. I wouldn't hover for any length, but that would be a roof company's quick inspection method. Also, for the record, I carry pepper spray for just this reason. About a 5 second shot of that crap in the eyes and he'll be crying like a baby, not screaming like a banshee.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have stored the phone number of the local sheriff's office in my phone just in the event something like this ever happens to me. My thinking is it would better if I made the first call to the law.

I use a screen recorder app (Mobizen) for my android tablet every time I fly. not only does it record the video off the screen, it uses the internal Mic to record sounds such as my voice and others around me. Ive never had a negative encounter, but I am worried slightly because next month im going on a cruise and the day before I plan on flying out over the Ocean to film cruise ships from South Shore park. I live in Atlanta Ga area and the Miami trips are a once a yr thing then I book a cruise, but this is the first time taking a Drone with me.

When I fly now I check with property owners and let them know what I am about to do. If they have an issue, I don't fly there. Generally if you notify the people around you and educate them on the purpose of your flight you may actually bring more people into the hobby and receive cooperation instead of mistrust. But not in all cases. I also wear a safety vest that says FAA Commercial Drone Pilot - Donot Disturb. It helps!
The vest is a good idea, But for some that does not have the "Actual" FAA licence, and wearing that vest, could cause a conflict is someone important comes up and asked to see it..

Few things here...

This has only happened to me once and it was while fun flying during a camping trip, not during a job. Was getting some sunset photos with the Mavic I used to have and had some irate guy and his wife wander over from well down the trail, at first complaining about noise. My wife basically told them to pound sand, the drone was far quieter than the dirt bikers ripping by every ten minutes. It then turned into "why are you spying on people's camp sites?" and he decided to start approaching me (I was still flying). This was actual backcountry camping, so I had my gun on me. I simply turned 90 degrees so he could see it, at which point he immediately turned around and left, while still muttering about how I shouldn't be spying on people.

Given the types of jobs I typically do, I'm always ready for it. So, lesson #1: EXPECT this type of stuff to happen so you don't get frazzled when it does. Also, people are f*ucking psychos these days. Didn't notice if you're in the US or UK, but if you're in the US, carry some kind of self defense. No one wants to read about you getting stabbed to death just for flying your drone.

Second, I've always thought that flying Dronebase's residential panos is a horrible, horrible idea for exactly this reason. If you want to try out doing Panos (and you definitely can make a little money doing it), stick to only the commercial properties. When you're flying over plazas and industrial areas, no one cares. No one bothers you. When people do approach you to ask questions, 99% of the time they have already made the assumption that you're doing paid work and are not "spying" on anyone.

Third, if you absolutely must shoot residential properties or over-fly residential properties, look professional. Being in khakis, business casual shoes, and a polo or button up goes a long way in directing bystanders' first impressions to "this guy is working" rather than "this guy is a creep". If you have a company logo, spend the $30-40 to get it put on a custom baseball hat. I personally think safety vests look idiotic and attract too much attention, but some people use those too for the same purpose.

Other than that, try not to let morons get to you. They're inevitable.

Speaking as a police officer, we have the right to quell a disturbance. Even free speech has its limits. If this guy is being assaultive under either a common law or state law definition we can take action against him. If his actions are creating a disturbance we can remove him to restore peace, even if that means arresting him for such crimes as disorderly conduct or disturbance of the peace.

1. Well sure, you have the power to arrest even when you don't have the right. Disorderly and Disturbing the Peace have elements to those crimes. If those elements aren't present, you don't have justification to arrest.

2. Those acts must take place in your presence or you need a warrant, unless your state is different from all of which I am aware.

I always fly with my gun near by, if this would of happened to me, I would of #1, Initiated RTH and let the drone fly back to me and record what was happening, #2 Called the police #3 I would of put my phone on the ground and started recording on the phones camera, #4 i would of calmly pulled out my gun, pointed it at his head and told him to back off, get on the ground and calmly wait for the police.

I dont have time for paranoid people who are growing pot in their back yard!

Reactions: macoman
1. Well sure, you have the power to arrest even when you don't have the right. Disorderly and Disturbing the Peace have elements to those crimes. If those elements aren't present, you don't have justification to arrest.

2. Those acts must take place in your presence or you need a warrant, unless your state is different from all of which I am aware.

Yup, thought it was clear that in order to take action to quell a disturbance, one must be ongoing. Apparently not.

If someone is screaming and yelling at another person in the middle of the street, it’s pretty clearly a disturbance. If they don’t cease that activity in police presence when told to do so it meets the elements of the crime easily. In that case arrest is justified, or a summons can be issued to appear to answer for the charges.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20