H3-3D Gimbal no longer appears in P2 Assistant

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal that I was given to test to see if the gimbal actually works. Initially, starting up the P2 without a camera installed, the gimbal seemed to twist and turn erratically, meaning that it didn't seem to settle down to what I'd expect was the normal forward-facing state. So I got a camera and installed it, but found that the gimbal seemed to settled down with the camera either facing downward or down at about a 45 degree angle. I ran through the upgrade via the Assistant software, but that still didn't make the gimbal and camera come to rest with the camera facing forward. Gently move the gimbal by hand does show it has a good bit of grip to hold it's position, so it seems to be working in that way.

(note: one time I looked up and voila! the camera seemed to be stable facing straight ahead...but restarting wouldn't repeat it. Once, I turned it by hand to get it facing forward and it seemed to lock into place, but I couldn't repeat that either.)

So, I tried resetting the gimbal using the two-pin reset method, shorting the two tiny gold pins and watching for the green-red-yellow lights. That seemed to go exactly as it was supposed to, at least according to the videos showing how to do it. But then, on trying to use the P2 Assistant software to try to upgrade it back to normal, the gimbal no longer shows up in the upgrade screen at all! I've tried restarting everything and upgrading anything else there was to upgrade..but no gimbal at all. So, it appears that something in the pin-shorting process seems to have wiped out whatever firmware was in there but also wiped out whatever normally identifies that a gimbal is even there. Not good!

Anyone have any ideas how reinstate whatever lets the gimbal be seen by the Assistant software?
Thanks..

Hello Mate
In your post, you did not mention which camera you attached to the gimbal, and yes the gimbal would be very erratic without a camera attached.

Waylander

Sorry about that...I had a Firefly 6S mounted and had verified that it was working, transmitting video, etc.

Fwiw, I don't know if the gimbal was okay to begin with since the props show some scuffing which makes me think the P2 is likely to have had a rough landing at some point.
However, to this point the gimbal had been showing up in Assistant as expected, so I wasn't expecting the two-pin reset to make it disappear from Assistant completely.
Fwiw, if I try the two-pin reset again now, the green light never turns red...just stays green all the time.

Hi
I could be wrong but to my knowledge the H3-3D gimbal is designed for the GoPro Hero series of cameras, if the Firefly 6S camera that you tested does not have the same weight, or centre of gravity as that of the GoPro Hero cameras then the gimbal will not work correctly. There may be nothing wrong with the gimbal, borrow a GoPro Hero 3 or GoPro Hero 4 camera from someone to test the gimbal.

Waylander

Hi
I could be wrong but to my knowledge the H3-3D gimbal is designed for the GoPro Hero series of cameras, if the Firefly 6S camera that you tested does not have the same weight, or centre of gravity as that of the GoPro Hero cameras then the gimbal will not work correctly. There may be nothing wrong with the gimbal, borrow a GoPro Hero 3 or GoPro Hero 4 camera from someone to test the gimbal.

Waylander

I did some pretty thorough checking before buying the Firefly 6S, and it's been reported to work fine. The brief experience I've had with it mounted in the gimbal does appear to prove that it does work...and though some users have said they had to tweak the balance with a small coin or whatever, overall there are successful demonstrations of it working with the H3-3D.
The problem I'm having and trying to resolve at the momemt is getting the Assistant software to show the gimbal--at all! It was showing the gimbal in the upgrade screen originally, but after I followed the steps to bridge the two gold pins to reset the gimbal, now there's no gimbal showing in the upgrade screen. It's like the gimbal isn't even resisting anymore.
As I said earlier, the gimbal is getting power because if I try bridging the pins again it will show the green light...but it never turns red, etc...so something is messed up.

I did some pretty thorough checking before buying the Firefly 6S, and it's been reported to work fine. The brief experience I've had with it mounted in the gimbal does appear to prove that it does work...and though some users have said they had to tweak the balance with a small coin or whatever, overall there are successful demonstrations of it working with the H3-3D.
The problem I'm having and trying to resolve at the momemt is getting the Assistant software to show the gimbal--at all! It was showing the gimbal in the upgrade screen originally, but after I followed the steps to bridge the two gold pins to reset the gimbal, now there's no gimbal showing in the upgrade screen. It's like the gimbal isn't even resisting anymore.
As I said earlier, the gimbal is getting power because if I try bridging the pins again it will show the green light...but it never turns red, etc...so something is messed up.

The answer you are looking for is on your post to me so go back and take a look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan