Greetings from Portland

Reaction score
Hello all from the (normally) wet upper corner of the left coast!

My two biggest passions in life are history and photography and since the two are usually so interlaced, both are very important to me. Over the past ten years I've taken countless photos around the Portland area, documented the changes and the stories behind the changes. I love seeing old photos of my area, especially when those photos include details and the location of the scene so I can compare it to the modern day. Whenever I'm out documenting the way things are today, I make sure to be detailed in the hopes that some future history buff not to be born for decades or even centuries will be able to look at my pictures and get the same enjoyment that I get out of old photos today.

After much deliberation and research, I finally ordered my Phantom 3 Professional at the DronesPlus store in nearby Beaverton, Oregon. I was told to expect my Phantom within the next week to three weeks, depending on how many they receive in the next shipment. The price was a tough pill to swallow, I confess but with the virtually limitless possibilities of aerial photography, I already know it was worth it.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and joining the ranks of responsible Phantom pilots. :D

You have some time to study, read and read some more.
You will really enjoy your bird. Just relax, hover when confused, then move forward.
Welcome !

Thanks, guys! I've been doing a ton of research, watching videos and reading, even downloaded the full forty-something page manual from DJI. I'm nervous about learning to fly it properly but excited to try something new and have picked out the location for my maiden voyage; a middle school with a huge expanse of wide-open fields.

See here: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.506547,-122.7944374,327m/data=!3m1!1e3

Welcome to the forums! The view from the sky is a great view, and flying the phantom itself is relaxing as well. I'm still flying my little fc40 and it's still fun to me. I don't get to fly as much as I used to, but I try to bring it out a couple times every weekend. I used to fly every day several times a day.

Well folks I think I'm going to go in and cancel my order today. After reading some of the things people are dealing with on here, primarily the frame cracking around the motor screws and DJI's atrocious customer service, I really think my money could better be spent elsewhere. I'm bummed but I don't want to drop $1,300 on something that will only last a few months before self-destructing.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Well I hate to hear that Air !! Please don't take this wrong !I've been watching that thread also .
I started with the FC40 over a year ago ./ Moved up and been flying a P2V ever since. Had stuff
go bad, crashed I can't tell ya how many times ! Fixed it ,Moded it and plan on having a P3.
Yes they have issue's ...all of the different models have them . Been here and read all about them . This is where ya
come to Talk about those issue .But ya got to wonder .....How many not having any issues ?
I saw all the issues coming up with the Vision+ . You are going to see more problems with these things here
than good story's about them . You are not gonna find Nothing out there that don't have something in some
of them off a little . If ya gonna let what you have read about those cracks sway you even the least then you
don't need one .
Look in video's and see what they produce !!!
Do hate ya not gonna get one as I did live in Seattle in the late 70's and was looking forward to seeing more of that
part of the States put up in here from you but I do hear ya !
I think like all the other issues they will figure out a fix..or hope they do with those cracks.
Good luck to you with whatever you do !!

Sorry for the backtracking....I broke my own cardinal rule of not making big decisions while tired.

Today while on the job, I drove past a huge wide open field that will soon be developed into houses, apartments and shopping. I've taken ground level photos but they just don't do it justice and since this is really the last slice of old farmland in town, documenting it now has become a huge deal for me and was one of the reasons for wanting a UAV. It was while driving by this that I realized that I'll hate myself forever if I don't get as much photo and video as I can while I can before construction starts sometime in the next year. As a result I have chosen not to cancel my order and will tackle my ownership challenges as they come.

Hopefully you all can forgive me for my diva moment....[emoji4]

Sorry for the backtracking....I broke my own cardinal rule of not making big decisions while tired.

Today while on the job, I drove past a huge wide open field that will soon be developed into houses, apartments and shopping. I've taken ground level photos but they just don't do it justice and since this is really the last slice of old farmland in town, documenting it now has become a huge deal for me and was one of the reasons for wanting a UAV. It was while driving by this that I realized that I'll hate myself forever if I don't get as much photo and video as I can while I can before construction starts sometime in the next year. As a result I have chosen not to cancel my order and will tackle my ownership challenges as they come.

Hopefully you all can forgive me for my diva moment....[emoji4]
Do yourself a favor and just buy it used from B&H. Two mornings in the last week there has been one available for 1/3 off (it goes quickly in hour or so) I snagged one last week and some lucky so and so got the other. B&H is a reputable dealer and checks them before listing them as used. Mine had 3 flights and was basically brand new.
Also I can get mine in one day instead of 2-3 weeks. Carpe diem!

You will not regret it, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I got a voicemail yesterday saying that my P3P will be here on Monday. I'm excited but was kinda hoping that it would get here for the 4th but I'm not experienced enough to be doing that kind of flying just yet. Gotta get out with the training wheels on first....

In a somewhat related story, the plot of land I referenced in a previous post finally (just a few days ago) got the go-ahead for development to begin in the spring. I can't wait to become proficient enough with the Phantom to immortalize the area in its current state on camera.

Thanks, guys! I've been doing a ton of research, watching videos and reading, even downloaded the full forty-something page manual from DJI. I'm nervous about learning to fly it properly but excited to try something new and have picked out the location for my maiden voyage; a middle school with a huge expanse of wide-open fields.

See here: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.506547,-122.7944374,327m/data=!3m1!1e3

That's not enough space. These things move right along and a couple football fields are nothing.
It's just my nickel's worth, but SW Farmington road looks like some decent open space for flying once you get past 209th Ave. It's a bit of a drive but maybe you won't end up on the other side of a fence. :eek:

You will be good enough to take pics of the new development in about 15 minutes, unless you're focusing on the schoolyard and all the folks watching you.

Welcome to the party Airborne, keep studying.
You may find some of the stuff in my signature helpful.

Enjoy the show; it's a dewsie!:D

That's not enough space. These things move right along and a couple football fields are nothing.

Sadly wide open public space is at a premium around here. I'm planning on using the fields just for the first, low-speed, low-altitude, get-to-know-it flights. After I'm comfortable with it, I'll go hunt down some wide open spaces.

Sadly wide open public space is at a premium around here. I'm planning on using the fields just for the first, low-speed, low-altitude, get-to-know-it flights. After I'm comfortable with it, I'll go hunt down some wide open spaces.

Yep, we do what we can with the space we have to work with.
I don't know if you can do what I can with the P1 and FC40, but I can set limits on how high and how far it can go. It runs into an invisible wall and will go no farther. It works for me when I am flying in confined spaces, like in town.

Have fun.

I got a call from DronesPlus today saying that the FedEx truck broke down (their words, not mine) and they were letting all pre-orders know that they were delayed by a day. I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow as I have work at 11 AM and probably won't be done until 7. I drive a paratransit bus so I'm hoping dispatch schedules my breaks or my lunch near the store.

Stay tuned....

At long last it arrived! Sadly work dragged me in to work a split so I'm hoping to get it charged there and in the air for a test flight afterward. Stay tuned

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436313325.315761.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31