GREAT PR for me and my P3P helped with search...

cool story! If by some small chance the people DO have facebook, ask them to post something about it on their page, to let others know!

In flying my quad and litchi, I have discovered the phantom3 and LItchi app together make a great survey tool!
Yes... we basically did a blow by blow update on Facebook.. it's how we got everyone out searching :)

Reactions: The Suburban Hippie
First off GREAT work helping your neighbors and probably saving the calf. Be sure to contact your local media and get someone to do a story on this. People love and NEED feel good stories. Unfortunately human nature is such that doom and gloom get more attention but it's always good to get as much mileage out of your GOOD story as you can.

RE: watching the FPV, especially for multiple parties in a SAR situation. Have you investigated "Cast Your Screen" on a Google tablet to a nearby television with Chromecast? I think iOS and Apple TV have a similar arrangement. I just got an Android tablet last week and was thinking this "Cast" might be useful if several people could watch the FPV on a monitor. As the pilot, I can be distracted from the video, so additional eyes could help. I know the downloaded *.mov or*.mp4 is much clearer, but in SAR sometimes a few minutes makes a difference.

I am not an SAR volunteer or trained in this work. Obviously preparation, power supply, equipment, etc are part of this. Just responding to your SIDE NOTE. Once again, great work helping find the calf.

While it's a great feature to be able to "stream" live video while in flight (adding the HDMI port to your P3A/P3P Tx allows this) most of SAR flights are carried out a good distance from the Command Post so this isn't how we normally handle it. Some more complex systems upload images live to the CLOUD if cell service is available in the area and it's then DL'd in the Command Post and reviewed almost real time. Unfortunately most SAR missions are in less favorable locations far away from cellular service. Normally we use multiple SD cards and either the UAS team travels back and forth from the Command Post to the flight area or you establish a courier system using multiple SD cards. The "courier" transports a card back to CP, they DL the media and clean the card and send it back to the UAS team. By this time you have another card(s) ready and the process starts over again.

If others are interested in Search & Rescue with your UAS feel free to drop me a note and I'll try to point you in the right direction. It's a very new, untested, and uncharted territory so things will change quickly and hopefully make SAR using UAS much quicker and easier.

Re: Meat Eaters - I'll go on record and say.. I eat Red Meat and LOVE IT! I eat it every opportunity I get and get great pleasure from it. Nom Nom Nom :)

First off GREAT work helping your neighbors and probably saving the calf. Be sure to contact your local media and get someone to do a story on this. People love and NEED feel good stories. Unfortunately human nature is such that doom and gloom get more attention but it's always good to get as much mileage out of your GOOD story as you can.

While it's a great feature to be able to "stream" live video while in flight (adding the HDMI port to your P3A/P3P Tx allows this) most of SAR flights are carried out a good distance from the Command Post so this isn't how we normally handle it. Some more complex systems upload images live to the CLOUD if cell service is available in the area and it's then DL'd in the Command Post and reviewed almost real time. Unfortunately most SAR missions are in less favorable locations far away from cellular service. Normally we use multiple SD cards and either the UAS team travels back and forth from the Command Post to the flight area or you establish a courier system using multiple SD cards. The "courier" transports a card back to CP, they DL the media and clean the card and send it back to the UAS team. By this time you have another card(s) ready and the process starts over again.

If others are interested in Search & Rescue with your UAS feel free to drop me a note and I'll try to point you in the right direction. It's a very new, untested, and uncharted territory so things will change quickly and hopefully make SAR using UAS much quicker and easier.

Re: Meat Eaters - I'll go on record and say.. I eat Red Meat and LOVE IT! I eat it every opportunity I get and get great pleasure from it. Nom Nom Nom :)
Wow.. what a great response! Because we were searching... I did send my quad as far as a mile or more away... well beyond the requirement to maintain line of sight with the quad. That's why I felt that FPV goggles would have been a big help in that I could possibly "see more detail" in realtime, rather than waiting until after I recovered the card for review. I was using a iPad mini 2 and that was pretty good, but spotting that little black calf looked like nothing until seeing it on the full screen in HD. Would goggles provide better realtime viewing and to you think we will ultimately be restricted from using Quads for search and recovery ops due to not meeting the "line of sight" requirement... ?

Lets keep this on topic fellas or mooooo-ve along.

Cowspiracy-630x315.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello everyone. Hailing all the way from Kingston jamaica. I am a new member to this community and doing a lot of reading before actively engaging and getting involved but this warranted a shout out and two thumbs up!
Also I think if you didn't know where you were but saw the calf, perhaps flipping to F and dropping waypoint would be an excellent way to mark the spot. I believe you would get a lat/long that way. Use it like a man overboard function.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj