Grateful for the Return Home Function

Reaction score
I was practicing my flying skills yesterday at a local park with my GoPro mounted for the first time to get some video of my flight. The takeoff was textbook, not really, but I got it into the air without any problem. Everything was going great. I was enjoying myself and feeling confident when the drone disappeared from my view. I had flown it out of sight. In a panic I started playing with the sticks to see if I could catch sight of it again. I had no idea where it was and whether what I was doing was making it better or worse. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered a post where it was mentioned that turning the transmitter off would trigger the return home function and I turned the transmitter off. Not really sure that this was right, I turned it back on and played with the sticks some more. I was just about ready to pack up and go home when I heard what I thought was a far off lawn mower. Very slowly, the sound got louder until I realized the sound was right above me. I looked up and about 100 feet above me I could see the drone. It slowly descended and landed about a foot from where it took off. I was one happy camper. I have the video and after watching it realized just how far away the drone was before it returned. I won't be that careless in the future. Lesson learned, and I’m looking forward to getting it back into the air.

After this experience I'm considering adding some sort of strobe, or something which will make the drone easier to see as it gets further away from me. Has anyone else done something like this? If so, what did you add to your drone, and how much did it cost?

Thanks

I was practicing my flying skills yesterday at a local park with my GoPro mounted for the first time to get some video of my flight The takeoff was textbook, not really, but I got it into the air without any problem. Everything was going great. I was enjoying myself and feeling confident when the drone disappeared from my view. I had flown it out of sight. In a panic I started paying with the sticks to see if I could catch sight of it again. Of course, I had no idea where it was and whether what I was doing was making it better or worse. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered a post where it was mentioned that turning the transmitter off would trigger the return home function so I turned the transmitter off. Not really sure that this was right, I turned it back on and played with the sticks some more. I was just about ready to pack up and go home when I heard what I thought was a far off lawn mower. Very slowly, the sound got louder until I realized the sound was right above me. I looked up and about 100 feet above me I could see the drone. It slowly descended and landed about a foot from where it took off. I was one happy camper. I have the video and after watching it realized just how far away the drone was before it returned. Lesson learned, and I’m looking forward to getting it back into the air.

After this experience I am considering adding some sort of strobe, or something which will make the drone easier to see as it gets further away from me. Has anyone else done something like this? If so, what did you add to your drone, and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Great read,,I did paint my p3s black for visibility, does help,,even have a look at vinyl covers of ebay,different patterns and colours to choose,,yip agree white it terrible in sky,,I use strobes aswell but mainly for morning or evening flights,,,,below my p3s obsidian lol,,black spray can $10
1561066301212723273773.jpg

I use these:
They even help during the day

Mounted in these:
Aerial-pixel is down looks like

I use these:

Mounted in these:
Thanks for the tip. The site is closed for maintenance. I'll try again later

These firehouse aswell and bright,mounted on modified gimble clamp,,(this way I won't forget to take it off again),,just clips on back ,,both red but can get colour,
1561068799712455479.jpg

Reactions: caupwhiting
I use LumeCube Strobes.

Not sure why you turned the remote off to utilize the RTH. The remote has a RTH button you can use at any time. In the event the aircraft has gone so far that you lose connection, the RTH will engage automatically. However, you should always use caution when using the RTH feature. 1. Make sure you have set the RTH altitude higher than any object that might be between you and the aircraft. 2. If RTH is activated while the aircraft is underneath an object, you could cause it to crash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What drone were you flying?
Why weren't you looking at your monitor to see where it was?
Why didn't you simply press RTH when you were lost? Turning of your controller? Weird.
Instead of 'playing with the sticks', you should monitor your distance from home and fly in a direction that will get you closer to home.
You then don't need a strobe.

Reactions: MTO
The Firehouse Cree Strobe lights at least double VLOS. They are also FAA approved for night flying. They are lightweight and don't interfere with camera or maneuverability. I bought 3D printed holders on eBay for easy snap on, snap off. The two in front are white with red and green in the back for orientation. Lume Cubes are another option but they weigh 12 oz. for both and do affect maneuverability but can light up the whole neighborhood at night.

://www.amazon.com/Firehouse-Technology-Intensity-Approved-Quadcopter/dp/B075KGTLWM/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=firehouse+strobe&qid=1561130884&s=gateway&sr=8-6 . CREE Stobe Light Holders for DJI Phantom Series - 4 Holders, for 4 Lights | eBay .

Attachments

• 20190126_081731.jpg
    20190126_081731.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 211
  • 2018-12-16 P4P w.Lume Cubes.jpg
    2018-12-16 P4P w.Lume Cubes.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 238
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[/QUOTE]
After I lost sight of the drone, I
I use LumeCube Strobes.

Not sure why you turned the remote off to utilize the RTH. The remote has a RTH button you can use at any time. In the event the aircraft has gone so far that you lose connection, the RTH will engage automatically. However, you should always use caution when using the RTH feature. 1. Make sure you have set the RTH altitude higher than any object that might be between you and the aircraft. 2. If RTH is activated while the aircraft is underneath an object, you could cause it to crash.

I should add that I am flying a Phantom 1.

After I lost sight of the drone I was frantically trying everything I could think of to see if I could pick up any movement when I saw it last. I remembered something in a post I had read months ago about switching the transmitter off to activate the return home function. I don't know whether this worked, or if the drone lost contact with the transmitter and returned home on its own.

I use LumeCube Strobes.

[/QUOTE]

After losing site of the drone, I was frantically trying everything I could think of to try and catch sight of it again. I remembered reading a previous post on the forum or watching a youtube video where the return home function was discussed. About all I could remember is that if I turned off the transmitter it would activate RTH and the drone might return.

I got lucky and for whatever reason if came back. This was only my third flight.

I should add that I am flying a Phantom 1. Does it have the same RTH feature on the transmitter as later drones? If it does, how do I set the RTH altitude?

I appreciate your comments.

What drone were you flying?
Why weren't you looking at your monitor to see where it was?
Why didn't you simply press RTH when you were lost? Turning of your controller? Weird.
Instead of 'playing with the sticks', you should monitor your distance from home and fly in a direction that will get you closer to home.
You then don't need a strobe.
I was flying a Phantom 1. I'm not looking at a monitor. I didn't know I could press RTH, or if that feature is on my transmitter. Not weird to try to recover my drone. I don't know, or didn't know, that I could monitor the distance my drone had flown before I played with the sticks.

I was flying a Phantom 1. I'm not looking at a monitor. I didn't know I could press RTH, or if that feature is on my transmitter. Not weird to try to recover my drone. I don't know, or didn't know, that I could monitor the distance my drone had flown before I played with the sticks.

I do not know the differences in features or software between a Phantom 1and a modern Phantom such as my Pro v2. Frankly, I assumed that your controller had a RTH button. I've never seen a Phantom 1. I also assumed that the controller screen displays basic telemetry such as altitude, distance from home, speed, etc. If not, it would certainly make flying that drone more challenging. And it would make my previous comments N/A.

Yeah, I use white on the front and the one in the back cycles through colours this helps with orientation
Oh I had a serious moment with the white when first started flying,I went grey instantly,,,was flying in evening could see my drone flash white at distance,(v2 strobon white),,these are super bright),,anyway looked down at tablet for sec looked back up and unknown to me a plane had taken off from distant wellington airport which made it look like my strobe light,ha lol gezz I been following wrong light in the sky,,my drone was going opposite direction straight for a 500mtr hill side,,omg did I poo bricks,,close call,so now I use red so I know it me,,very rookie moment that could have gone very wrong..bottom pic is strobon v2,you want a strobe light these bad boys are awsome,just don't look at it or you can't see for a while,,I used 3.7volt lipo to power it,
1561154997211-866547556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: umanbean
I was flying a Phantom 1.

I've never seen a Phantom 1.
Me neither... why don't people just go ahead and give enough information in the OP for others to be able to give informed answers? Especially when posting in the general discussion forum instead of a model specific forum!

Jeez, nobody here is a mind reader.

Like many who responded, I also wondered why he didn't just press the rth button on the controller or tap the rth icon on the screen, but didn't say anything at the time.

So now, 24 hrs. and 12 posts later, we find out why

I do not know the differences in features or software between a Phantom 1and a modern Phantom such as my Pro v2. Frankly, I assumed that your controller had a RTH button. I've never seen a Phantom 1. I also assumed that the controller screen displays basic telemetry such as altitude, distance from home, speed, etc. If not, it would certainly make flying that drone more challenging. And it would make my previous comments N/A.
Me neither... why don't people just go ahead and give enough information in the OP for others to be able to give informed answers? Especially when posting in the general discussion forum instead of a model specific forum!

Like many who responded, I also wondered why he didn't just press the rth button on the controller or tap the rth icon on the screen, but didn't say anything at the time.

. I've never seen anything other than a phantom 1 so I have no clue about features for later drones. Furthermore, it's my opinion that posting questions in the the Phantom 1 forum don't get many if any responses. Didn't mean to waste your time. I'll just let myself out.

. I've never seen anything other than a phantom 1 so I have no clue about features for later drones. Furthermore, it's my opinion that posting questions in the the Phantom 1 forum don't get many if any responses. Didn't mean to waste your time. I'll just let myself out.
It doesn't matter which model Phantom you have, you haven't wasted any one's time, and you don't have to let yourself out... but it would save a lot of people's time and effort if you would include enough relevant details and information so they could answer your questions and help you without guessing or assuming.

Forum etiquette that's all

The reason you don't get many responses in the Phantom 1 forum is because it's 6 years old. Not many here have owned a drone for that long

Last edited:
Let’s not be too hard on this guy. The only question he was asking for input on were strobes. Not how to initiate RTH. In that regard he was simply sharing his experience - and admitting to lessons learned. Then some kind of criticized him for being weird for his choice of method to initiate RTH. I have seen that method documented many times in these forums - regardless of the model. It’s a sure fire way to initiate it (remember to turn it back on of course ;-) ). DJI hasn’t always made it easy to remember how to initiate. For my P3S, I had to flick one of the switches three times (like clicking your heels LOL). But I couldn’t always remember which of the switches to flick at first. On my P4P, pressing the RTH button initiates. Press and hold cancels. Oh wait. Or is it the other way around? You get my point.

The best advice I’ve seen posted on these forums is to practice RTH frequently so the muscle memory is there. So I’d suggest that to the OP.

umanbean said:

"Forum etiquette that's all"

"Forum etiquette..." Exactly, practice it.

Last edited:
I use these:

Mounted in these:
I found these strobe lights. More economical, but not sure if they are same quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor