Grainy picture?

Reaction score
Questioning my camera. Still pics coming out grainy and not sure why. 4:3, Auto White Balance, Standard style Normal color, Auto ISO

Attachments

• DJI_0001.JPG
    DJI_0001.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 400
Is there a way to adjust the Picture Resolution besides selecting 4:3, 16:9 or 3:2?

Is there a way to adjust the Picture Resolution besides selecting 4:3, 16:9 or 3:2?

These numbers reflect aspect ratio, not resolution. I’m not able to confirm this by looking at DJI Go, but I think there is only 1 choice and that’s to shoot full resolution files. I’m not sure what you mean by graininess in the image you shared, but my experience is that the biggest impact on grain is the ISO setting we use. The higher the ISO number, the worse the grain is.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Thanks sshephard. If you zoom in on the picture, you'll see its not clear and detailed. The ISO was set on Auto so I suppose I should change that to manual and make the adjustment.

No they do have something to do with resolution I remember seeing another post saying 3:2 was full sensor resolution and I think 16:9 was like 14mp.... don't quote me on that but I think if you search around you will find your answer. I just know for sure that 3:2 aspect ratio takes advantage of the full sensor

Someone may have to correct me but 4:3 is the entire/uncropped size *I BELIEVE* for P3 and for P4 it’s 3:2. So for your Phantom 4 stills, shoot 3:2, take that dang auto ISO off (I’m betting that is your culprit), make sure you are not under exposing your pictures (learn to use the histogram) and set your shutter speed accordingly. One of the super helpful forum members here helped me a ton by recommending I expose “a little to the right” on the histogram. Since doing this my stills with my P3SE have gone from garbage to usually pretty good.

Phantom 4 specs, look at image size area;

VDJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Thanks sshephard. If you zoom in on the picture, you'll see its not clear and detailed. The ISO was set on Auto so I suppose I should change that to manual and make the adjustment.

I tried looking at the metadata for your photo but for some reason the ISO doesn’t show. But I’m guessing that given that you were on auto shooting in good light, your ISO would have been relatively low. If the light allows, I try to shoot at 100 ISO.

I can see what you are describing and I’m wondering if the photo you shared here is directly off the card or if the photo has been edited and exported?

Reactions: Kentrol72
I tried looking at the metadata for your photo but for some reason the ISO doesn’t show. But I’m guessing that given that you were on auto shooting in good light, your ISO would have been relatively low. If the light allows, I try to shoot at 100 ISO.

I can see what you are describing and I’m wondering if the photo you shared here is directly off the card or if the photo has been edited and exported?
It's directly off the card no editing

No they do have something to do with resolution I remember seeing another post saying 3:2 was full sensor resolution and I think 16:9 was like 14mp.... don't quote me on that but I think if you search around you will find your answer. I just know for sure that 3:2 aspect ratio takes advantage of the full sensor

Agree. But it’s still aspect ratio. 3:2 is full sensor and the other two take pixels away from the top and bottom. But as far as I know, the pixels that are left are the same size, regardless of the aspect ratio. I don’t think there is any up-resing or down-resing done in-camera in the P4P. But there are many people on this forum who are wiser than me. [emoji4]

As stated earlier I would take it off auto.

Anything past ISO 400 on the P4 will have lots of noise. Auto will always pick a higher ISO.

I believe the full chip ratio is 3:2. 4:3 will be a slight crop. But I use 4:3 a lot since I do a lot of panos manually. 3:2 has the max retro focus distortion.

Also shoot raw as you will get the best image.

Even at ISO 100 I find the P4 can get noisy.

Also use AEB 3 or 5. It’s very hard to proof the shots on your display device. You will throw out images but you will also have more keepers.

Paul Caldwell

hope i did that right
You did .. and it shows exactly why the pic is like that
Exposure Details: 1/8000 sec; f/11; ISO 6400
ISO 6400 is what you use when you are shooting in the dark and you can't do anything else.
It's always going to be grainy.
If you tried again and set the ISO value at 100, try using Aperture priority auto exposure and set the aperture on F5.6, you should see a big improvement.
(That's a good general exposure setting for most things, most of the time).

Here are two example shots to show the difference:
This one was shot at ISO 6400 because the conditions were dark and the subject is moving too fast for a long exposure like 1 second.
I got the shot but it's much too grainy to show anyone except as an example like this.
1/25th sec F2.8 at ISO 6400
DJI_0492a-X3.jpg

Compare with this one.
1/320th sec at F2.8 but ISO 100
i-j3wttzF-X3.jpg

Reactions: sshephard
Great examples Meta4 they really show the difference! I will use "ISO value at 100, and aperture on F5.6" when I can for my own work. I'm wondering though if there is an issue with my P4P since it was on Auto when that picture (and the whole set) was taken. There wasn't much in the way of shaded areas for the automation to dial 6400 on the ISO nor was the drone in motion (or the house for that matter lmao). I'll have to be more attentive to whats showing on the display rather than just snapping the pic.

Last edited:
Great examples Meta4 they really show the difference!
Thanks - the good one looks great blown up to 40 inches. The other one wouldn't.
Great examples Meta4 they really show the difference!
I will use "ISO value at 100, and aperture on F5.6" when I can for my own work. I'm wondering though if there is an issue with my P4P since it was on Auto when that picture (and the whole set) was taken.
Aperture priority/ISO 100/F5.6 really will handle most scenes. EV -0.3 in bright conditions
Just open up the aperture if necessary to keep a good shutter speed in low light situations and increase ISO sensitivity when you've run out of other options.
If your camera handles exposure well with those settings, it's working properly.
Leaving the camera to make all the decisions isn't the best way to go.

Reactions: Kentrol72
Thanks - the good one looks great blown up to 40 inches. The other one wouldn't.

Aperture priority/ISO 100/F5.6 really will handle most scenes. EV -0.3 in bright conditions
Just open up the aperture if necessary to keep a good shutter speed in low light situations and increase ISO sensitivity when you've run out of other options.
If your camera handles exposure well with those settings, it's working properly.
Leaving the camera to make all the decisions isn't the best way to go.

Thanks again, when I get home today, I'll dial those in and do some comparisons.

I looked through some of your Portfolio. Awesome images! How'd you get into shooting ships?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan