GPS Trackers?

The mount is made to fit the Trackimo very tightly. The gps would not just "fall" out.

Thank you, ended up getting the trackimo. this hobby sure does have lots of pieces I didn't think of
One thing thats nice about the trackimo is that atleast it don't need any thing else for it to work and has the years worth of free service after you activate it.

But a good tip for how ever you mount it on the phantom. Its always a good idea to still maybe also use a tether. ON mine I have a small loop of string thats just big enough to put it around one of the legs and pull the trackimo threw the loop so its secure. Then I attach the trackimo with some Velcro that mates to the back that comes with it with the Velcro on it. But with the Velcro back on They fit nice and snug in them 3d printed holders to. But still never hurts to have a tether still just in case even with one of them holders. and another way to do an easy to get one and off tether. The trackimo includes a small neck lanyard and a tiny clip that can be attacked to the trackimo so it can be clipped or un clipped from the lanyard. If you the big long lanyard thing off and toss it. You can fasten the clip with a tiny pcs or string or even a tiny wire tie and then be able to clip the other end that is on a short pcs of string already that goes threw the hole in the trackimo.

Reactions: jointeffort
One thing thats nice about the trackimo is that atleast it don't need any thing else for it to work and has the years worth of free service after you activate it.

But a good tip for how ever you mount it on the phantom. Its always a good idea to still maybe also use a tether. ON mine I have a small loop of string thats just big enough to put it around one of the legs and pull the trackimo threw the loop so its secure. Then I attach the trackimo with some Velcro that mates to the back that comes with it with the Velcro on it. But with the Velcro back on They fit nice and snug in them 3d printed holders to. But still never hurts to have a tether still just in case even with one of them holders. and another way to do an easy to get one and off tether. The trackimo includes a small neck lanyard and a tiny clip that can be attacked to the trackimo so it can be clipped or un clipped from the lanyard. If you the big long lanyard thing off and toss it. You can fasten the clip with a tiny pcs or string or even a tiny wire tie and then be able to clip the other end that is on a short pcs of string already that goes threw the hole in the trackimo.
Definitely going to tether it somehow. not 100% sure on the mount or where to though. I domt wanna mess with blocking the little optical sensors

I bought the TK102 mini gps and got really frustrated trying to set up a cell phone plan and SIM card. So I bought a 3 pack of TrackR pet trackers and I'm going to see how they work and what distances Etc... Supposedly the battery life is very very long but uses blue tooth therefore the range is going to be the trade off- I read not more than a mile. The TrackR is also smaller and lighter.

Can you post s pic of your trackimo setup on your phantom? I'll post a pic of the TrackR on my P3P tomorrow when I get my gear out for test flight.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Fir3b1rd
UPDATE: :disrelieved::cryingcat::cry::confounded::coldsweat::sob::sweat::joycat::screamcat:
I have been flying with the TrackR bravo for about 2 weeks now and I just don't see how its going to work guys...
Summary:
Basically, my real life model test showed that it failed to help me find my drone. Heres what I did to test it.
The controlled environment v1.0 test. My wife hid the trackR in the house. I could not find it. She laughed at me. HARD. She said, "I love it when your stupid gadgets fail. The look of defeat on your face is priceless. If I could save this moment I'd replay it every time one of your little packages arrives. Hahaha"... /Facepalm

The actual live test procedure. v2.0
1. I was in the middle of no where. Thick brush and tall evergreen pine trees for miles.
2. while my p3 was warming up I opened the TrackR iOS app and pinged my bravo dongle. It took the whole 5 min to start chiming and update the GPS map on the iPhone.
3. I walked 15 feet away and verified the trackR bravo was pinged at the same site on the p3 and was monitoring on my GPS of my phone. P3 motors are off still at that point but lightbridge is on and locked.
4. I launched the P3 and flew approximately 300 feet away, about 285 to find a flat spot to land. I checked iOS TrackR app which is still running and it is still showing the p3 in the original take off spot. I hit the refresh button, it turns grey like its searching. I sat for 5 min- no dice.
5. I landed the quad and ensured the motors were off. Again I checked the app. I did everything I could to force it to ping the trackR bravo. Nothing. It still shows the quad at the launchpad.
6. I approached the quad and cut distance in half. about 100 foot approximately in order to have LOS around trees and thick brush. Another 5 min. Still no refreshed location...
7. I walked up to p3 at about 10 foot distance, again nothing. I walked further, nothing. I turned off the p3 and picked her up. After about 10 seconds the trackR bravo started chiming (which is barely audible by the way).
Strike 1...
I've tested in controlled settings and in the wild and heres the thing... if you aren't chilling out within 30 feet of the device for 5 minutes waiting for it to lock... you won't find your bird. The devices work great when you are standing on top of them which probably wont happen in the wild. They are on about 5 minute refresh ping rate so every 5 minutes they ping the bluetooth. I have a bunch of video to show this but I can't for the life of me upload it to the web... took me 8 hours to upload and process 8 minutes of video to youtube...and then it was shite quality so I deleted it.
Strike 2...
The thing is quiet. You can't hear it. Even a running creek bed is going to make this a point of failure.
Strike 3...
They aren't cheap. I'm planning to return mine once I hear from you guys. Ideas?

Conclusion: unless you are closer than 10 feet and reading a book in a noiseless area for over 5-10 min waiting for the **** device to ping you are screwed. If it was a Search and Rescue operation you'd likely pass right on through her location and miss the ping. Also its so **** quiet you'd not hear it even if you were walking softly in the woods, alone.

Thx Dirby. Seems the only real reliable solution. $200 :( is this what you use? I watched a video real world application of Marco Polo for drones and appeared to be sound and reliable retrieval method.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_155404.jpg
    IMG_20160130_155404.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20160130_155448.jpg
    IMG_20160130_155448.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20160130_155427.jpg
    IMG_20160130_155427.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 329
What about if there is no cell phone signal?

marco-polo doesnt require cell phone service or signal. It is independent on its own frequency point to point.

I have the same one. Works extremely well with H2O wireless SIM card. [emoji106]
I just added that to my AT&T account and has helped me several times .I like this one better than the one before this the 102 as the battery is internal .Had that one on a P2V and it auto landed and hit some trees and the battery popped out . 3 days looking but did find it :)

I just added that to my AT&T account and has helped me several times .I like this one better than the one before this the 102 as the battery is internal .Had that one on a P2V and it auto landed and hit some trees and the battery popped out . 3 days looking but did find it :)
Good to hear. I agree this one is better than 102, which I returned. I'm amazed at its location accuracy, which is usually within 5-10 feet for me; better than iPhone's GPS.

Reactions: dirkclod
Good to hear. I agree this one is better than 102, which I returned. I'm amazed at its location accuracy, which is usually within 5-10 feet for me; better than iPhone's GPS.
The 102 was close too and lost one behind house and went right to it. Looked 30 minutes and never found it till I looked up .
In the top of a cedar tree .Had to climb that sucker but did :)
59 yr old climbing a cedar tree .lol

Reactions: mandalay
The 102 was close too and lost one behind house and went right to it. Looked 30 minutes and never found it till I looked up .
In the top of a cedar tree .Had to climb that sucker but did :)
59 yr old climbing a cedar tree .lol
I hope I can still climb a tree at that age in the future [emoji12]

Reactions: dirkclod
I hope I can still climb a tree at that age in the future [emoji12]
Well it was to high to chunk something at it and tree wouldn't shake so what ya gonna do :)

Wow . The Trackmo is over 1/4 pound hanging off the P3. That's like carrying a Big Mac around. That just seems like a lot of weight.

Wow . The Trackmo is over 1/4 pound hanging off the P3. That's like carrying a Big Mac around. That just seems like a lot of weight.
OT but see ya got ya name right :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4